M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

06 ML350 Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
I feel your pain, I am so disappointed with Mercedes. I can't believe they are not fixing these problems. I am just hoping one of us doesn't get killed in the process.
For anyone out there who has the nerve of saying go to another dealership and it will be fixed, your one of the rare lucky ones. I have been to 2 so far and Mercedes Head Quarters are the ones who let me know they were not fixing a problem they can't reproduce. On top of it, I was told that if I felt something was wrong with the transmission, I needed to pay for it myself even though the car was under warrantee. So don't be so quick to judge other peoples frustrations.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by mymbisneedshelp
I feel your pain, I am so disappointed with Mercedes. I can't believe they are not fixing these problems. I am just hoping one of us doesn't get killed in the process.
For anyone out there who has the nerve of saying go to another dealership and it will be fixed, your one of the rare lucky ones. I have been to 2 so far and Mercedes Head Quarters are the ones who let me know they were not fixing a problem they can't reproduce. On top of it, I was told that if I felt something was wrong with the transmission, I needed to pay for it myself even though the car was under warrantee. So don't be so quick to judge other peoples frustrations.
What problems is Mercedes not fixing for you?

How are you gonna get killed when "the gas pedal does not accelerate", or when "the transmission is stuck in 4th gear". Just think again what you are asking the dealers and MBUSA to do. To fix something they cannot reproduce! Even if there is something faulty (highly unlikely when two dealerships can't diagnose as you stated) none of the two problems you have experienced would cause an accident. It's not like your brakes failed!

Also, what type of warranty do you have that does not cover transmission work? I am sorry but I have never heard of such a warranty.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM

2014 ML350 Bluetec,2012 C300 4matic sport
I agree with post #7. Had the same issue with my 06 ML350. Lease was ending and I decided to lease an 09. I have talked with several individuals who have the 06, had the valve body and software upgrade performed and are problem free.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by mymbisneedshelp
Hi, I'm having the exact issues with my ml350. The problems is intermittent and hard to diagnose. However, it seems that we have the same issues:

1) When I'm coming to a stop the transmission does not down shift correctly, so when I come to the full stop the car pop forwards as if the transmission is in the wrong gear.

2) If the above problem appears, the car can not shift out of 1st gear some times. Else, doesn't move with I apply the gas pedal, and I believe the car gets stuck in 4th or 5th gear.

3) I have to turn off the engine and restart the car again to cure the problem.

Can you let me know what you are planning to do about you problem? I sure can use your help
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM

2007 ML350 Sport Package
I'm having the same problems as described here on my 07 ml350 with 84K miles on it.

I am totally frustrated because now this is becoming a recurring problem. Not to mention that it is potentially a dangerous problem, not being able to accelerate or downshift on the freeway or being in heavy LA traffic stuck in gear.

The problem I am having specifically (and now it has happened about 6 times over the past year) sounds identical to many similar complaints here. The car/transmission gets stuck in 4th/5th/or some other high gear (usually on the freeway) and then will not accelerate once I've slowed down and come to a stop (because it's trying to take off in a high gear and the torque converter is the only thing actually allowing the car to move at all).

The only way to fix the problem is to turn the car completely off and then on.

The shifter buttons on the steering wheel will not work when this happens, and shifting into neutral and then back into drive also does not fix the problem --- if I do this, then the car is now just stuck in 1st gear.

I am pretty sure there is no way that they will be able to reproduce this problem at the dealer; I don't want them to give me some ridiculous song and dance about it being driver error or something as it seems other dealers have done for you.

Has this problem been fixed for anyone? Any tips to what I should discuss with the dealer (software update versions, etc.?) Although I have definitely noticed jerkiness and issues with the 2-1 downshift at low speeds, that seems to be a separate issue.

Last edited by Cannis; 03-12-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM

ML350 '06 & S430 4Matic '04
Originally Posted by Cannis
I'm having the same problems as described here on my 07 ml350 with 84K miles on it.

I am totally frustrated because now this is becoming a recurring problem. Not to mention that it is potentially a dangerous problem, not being able to accelerate or downshift on the freeway or being in heavy LA traffic stuck in gear.

The problem I am having specifically (and now it has happened about 6 times over the past year) sounds identical to many similar complaints here. The car/transmission gets stuck in 4th/5th/or some other high gear (usually on the freeway) and then will not accelerate once I've slowed down and come to a stop (because it's trying to take off in a high gear and the torque converter is the only thing actually allowing the car to move at all).

The only way to fix the problem is to turn the car completely off and then on.

The shifter buttons on the steering wheel will not work when this happens, and shifting into neutral and then back into drive also does not fix the problem --- if I do this, then the car is now just stuck in 1st gear.

I am pretty sure there is no way that they will be able to reproduce this problem at the dealer; I don't want them to give me some ridiculous song and dance about it being driver error or something as it seems other dealers have done for you.

Has this problem been fixed for anyone? Any tips to what I should discuss with the dealer (software update versions, etc.?) Although I have definitely noticed jerkiness and issues with the 2-1 downshift at low speeds, that seems to be a separate issue.
I have exactly like your problem. Did you fix your yet? I have only 37k miles on my car only. The problem happend right after I had my tranny power flush at dealer. The tranmission shift/gear very smooth before. Please let us know what is the solution and cost to fix it. Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM

ML350
Another ML350 tranny problem??

Hi All-
Have an 06 ML350 that has started to have an odd problem. It seems to come out of gear when at a red light. You have to wait for it to re-engage when the light turn green. Sometimes this takes several seconds. Has done this a few times in the last couple of weeks. Any thoughts??
Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM

ML500
Cool ML500 TRIPTRONIC 7 SPEED FAIL

This is a great thread. Brakel8 seems to have a firm grasp of what the scope of work these trannies need to remotely approach a solution. My take away from hours, days, and weeks of research is this; the hard down shift under decline load, and the pedal hesiatation is a characteristic of the car, according to MB. Even if an owner is willing to spend the money and time to have the service done. Whether complex like SW upgrades, or as simple as new fluids, etc.. There is still the risk that it will continue to buck, thump, and kick. I called it a bucking bronco with bad hips. My consensus is that these trannies, however terrible they may be, are not completely dying and leaving people stranded, like for example the 2003-2006 Volvo XC90 3.2 turbo did. The ML will, on the otherhand, buck and kick and thump embarrassingly, but still make it to and fro. Shame on MB for producing a rough riding, but stylish and fun to drive piece of ****. If it were not for my wife "loving" the ML500, I would have 2 BMW's in our drive way. A 2006 X5 would be replacing this transmission fault riddled ML500.

Last edited by BamaMerc; 08-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM

M350
I've had the same problem with 2006 ML350. Dealer says there's nothing wrong, even though I had taken it elsewhere and they believed it was the valve body, but they couldn't work on it because only Mercedes has the "computer". Dealer kept my car a whole week and announced there was nothing wrong; it must be the way I drive. I must be hitting the shift button on the steering wheel. Yeah right.....2 weeks later, the car dies in traffic. Now, they said it's something in the transmission, will fix it; a week later, still no car. They'll pay for the part, but want $1800 in labor. This is not right.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 AM

A160(Sold) C180(Sold), ML320(Dead! Sold) CDi, R300 CDi
so, anyone fix this problem? I had a A-class, C-class before, now i hate Mercedes, a lot of problem, cost a lot of money to fix. is BMW better?

Kevin
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
Originally Posted by MoonLite
I have exactly like your problem. Did you fix your yet? I have only 37k miles on my car only. The problem happend right after I had my tranny power flush at dealer. The tranmission shift/gear very smooth before. Please let us know what is the solution and cost to fix it. Thanks
I am having this downshifting problem with my 2006 slk280. Intermittant and turning key off always solves it. It is just out of warranty so am nervous about dropping a lot of time and money on the problem. One service advisor told me it needed the conductor plate replaced in the tranny. Anyone else had that done?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
See related thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ion-issue.html
Old 11-11-2011, 11:49 AM

ML350
I had the same transmittion problem on my 2006 ML350 67k mile on Feb2011.
The problem was the gear stuck at higher gear after stopping or not shifting from low gear to hight gear.
I brought the car to Fremont CA dealer. They quickly found the valve body board went bad. Originally, the dealer told me that they need to replace the entire valve body board which cost ~$1500 (including part & labor & tax). They was able to replace th6e bad component of the valve body. I ended up paying $1022 (including part & labor & tax). My car has been running good since then and now has 76000 mile.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:28 PM

M350
Problem maybe solved?

Ok, after they spent 3 weeks with my car and replaced the valve body "for free"....they didn't charge me the part, but charged $1800 labor!....the problem started all over again. The car was still lagging and wouldn't shift gears. Sometimes it would shudder and want to give up in the middle of traffic. Back to the dealer once again, but this time mad. They kept the car for a week this time....saying it wasn't happening...so they had to have the technicians drive it home and around town. They finally said the new valve body put in had a defective part....and replaced it for free...no labor this time. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM

ml350
conductor plate

Originally Posted by rostrom
I am having this downshifting problem with my 2006 slk280. Intermittant and turning key off always solves it. It is just out of warranty so am nervous about dropping a lot of time and money on the problem. One service advisor told me it needed the conductor plate replaced in the tranny. Anyone else had that done?
just had my ML350 2006 transmission fixed by auto transmission workshop.
I had the 1st gear stuck problem, wouldnt shift to 2nd.
also couple of time Reverse wouldn work until turn off/on the ignition.
and few other gear shifting abnormalities.

they replace conductor plate i think its the one behind the Valve Body.
they took that electric module to MB dealership for some reprogramming.
they replaced the fluid and filter and made some adjustments to cables.

the gear stuck problem havnt reoccured so far (i had the car for 4 days now)
but Im having other issue now-
a bit of rough shifting sometimes from 1st to 2nd gear
and on downshift at around 60-30km/h (not sure what gear was used at the time)

not sure if some adjustments/reprogramming again needed to fix it.
need to take it to the mechanic again
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
javahitman, your mechanic needs to set the adaptations. Takes about 4-6 hours while driving with the vehicle hooked up to the Mercedes computer.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM

ml350
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
javahitman, your mechanic needs to set the adaptations. Takes about 4-6 hours while driving with the vehicle hooked up to the Mercedes computer.
Thanks
Will go back to mechanic and ask him to tune it
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM

ML 350
Thanks Brake 18 great info!!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 AM

ML 350
Question ML dead and dying-Need help and info

I had one of the first ML 320,s and it almost killed me with the problems. Nine service campaigns and just about everything rebuilt. Transmission the worst.

Read consumer report on the 2007 ML 350 and bought a certified pre owned from a dealer in Athens.

I had a 500 SEL that lasted for ever, the reason I bought the first one.

MB has lost, lost, lost its star of quality and excellence.

I have had transmission problems with the 2007, had a flush done at right time by MB dealer. Continued to document the shifting problems others have listed. Into the shop-no codes indicated so MB does not know.

Feb 2012 back in to the dealership in Charleston who reprogramed the computer and weeks later when the warranty ran out, shifting issues again –we have codes.

Total failure of transmission.

MB dealer in Athens used BG flush that MBUSA says is not approve MB service. Thousands of dollars for new Transmission and everybody saying. Out of warranty not our fault, even though the car was in multiple times during warranty period and computer had not codes.

ANY HELP or INFO appreciated.

Trying to get to MBUSA leadership,
Next stop BBB and lawyer

Sam
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM

ML 350
trany

I am not sure if this will help or not but the valve control body has been an issue with the tranny. Perhaps if you show the following to your dealership regarding the previous " rough shifting" issue that some $$$$ consideration will be levied your way.

Good luck my Friend.

The old valve control body was 2202701406 and the new one is 220270130628. There is a DTB (Daimler technical bulletin?) out on this. Hope this helps if you have this problem

Here is what the service invoice says: 5880 1000 90 85 Cause DTB T-B-27.60/68A Road Test and verified complaint Performed short test Inspected EHS # and has part # 2202701406 Replaced with 220270130628 as per DTB and flashed Module after repair. I would assume that which I have put in bold is the DTB no.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM

ML 350
I sent the note to the Service Manager
Called MBUSA
Got a case worker
he called Athens MB who said they did it with BG but car out of warrenty-not their problem
Some good will discount from Charleston MB (good dealer)
MBUSA folks do not care-give the party line-they do not control dealers

Filing with BBB against Athens
Tras Safety Board for MB

Talking to lawyer to sue Athens et all

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM

ML350 CDI grand Edition
ml350 cdi 2011 jerking problem

I bought a ML350CDI Grand Edition from new in Sept 2011 from Mercedes Benz Brooklands in the UK. From the very beginning, about 40% of the time when I drive the car from a cold or standing start, within a short distance, say 200 yards, it seems to hesitate, almost as if it is ‘thinking’ about which gear to choose / engage and then suddenly and violently lurches forward, sometimes with an audible thud . The best way to describe this is feels like it has been given a kick up the backside! It will do this a few times before it eventually settles down. The first 2 times I took it back to Mercedes Brooklands they did not accept that there was a problem, said they could not replicate it and I had to take it back. On the 3rd occasion they initially said there was no problem initially they implied it was user error but as I pointed out my car is driven by other people all of whom have experienced this fault, so they asked me to come into the showroom to replicate the problem for them. So I drove the car with a mechanic beside me and when the issue occurred he accepted that there was a problem but said it's not as I had described it – he said ‘it feels like a gear box issue not a miss-fire’. Brooklands continued to struggle to diagnose and fix the problem themselves so eventually they involved Mercedes Germany. After nearly 3 weeks, they eventually updated the software, replaced solenoids and gave me the car back apparently all fixed. Within a few days the issue recurred so the car went back a 4th time again they struggled to replicate the issue and gave the car back to me as is. The car is now with Mercedes for the 5th time for the same issue and they want me to go back and replicate the problem for them once again because in their opinion there is no issue and the car and 'substantially behaves in accordance with accepted parameters’. Anyone else had this issue or got any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM

ML 350
Not so fast

I have a new transmission in for two months and it is doing it again.
run from mercedes and the ML
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM

w164 (ml 500)
Originally Posted by sambruce01
Not so fast

I have a new transmission in for two months and it is doing it again.
run from mercedes and the ML
Im beginning to think the same. But run to what, that the question?

Mark.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM

R350
Hello all,

I've got a 06 R350 (40k miles) with the dreaded 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 2nd rough shifting issue...

Is the valve body update & related computer update and fluid based on an actual service bulletin or is it a good will thing? I have a US market R350 (Imported in 2008) and the only active service bulletin is a replacement guide pulley according to MB Canada.

Can anyone chime in pls?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 06 ML350 Transmission Problems?