M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Hardwired my V1 today in the overhead console!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Hardwired my V1 today in the overhead console!

This is my first post--I thought I should give something back to the folks here after all of the useful info I have gotten here in the forums. I was not able to find this information on the W164 ML elsewhere on this site, or on any other sites, though I have searched high and low. I did find helpful info on other vehicles which helped point me in the right direction, but in the end, it was trial and error.

OK, so I hardwired my V1 to a wire in the overhead console. It's only a 1/2 a$$ed job at this point, as the wire I tapped is NOT switched (FYI it's a think blue wire next to a thicker blue wire). I need to do some more poking around in the console for a better wire, but I ran out of time (snow is on the way here) and needed to put things back together. I can live with having to turn off the V1 by hand until I can get the console off and get my hands back up there. I am sure there is a switched wire up there. There are lot of wires!

The hard part, and the one that I seemed to find others asking, is how to get the overhead console off. Well, it took some trial and error, but I managed to figure it out and not break anything. I have some prior experience hardwiring a V1 in the overhead console of my 2004 BMW X5. I was hoping this was going to be the same, and much of it was. But getting off that darned console had my pulling out my hair for a few days.

Here's what I did--hope it helps you. Before you begin, make sure to have plenty of time, go slow, and be extra careful. The last thing you want to do is break a piece of trim that will cost you $ to replace.

I removed the 2 pieces of plastic trim beneath the overhead console on the windshield--the pieces that cover the wires running into the rear view mirror, and into what I later discovered is the auto lights sensor. It takes some work, but the tabs eventually pop out and the pieces fall free from the console. it is easier to remove if you pull it apart where it attached to the overhead console. Once they do come free, gently pull them both apart, and then get them both out of the way. Sitting in the passenger seat, get your head by the glass, and look up at the overhead console. You will see 2 metal tabs at either side of the area where the trim piece used to connect. Using both hands, push each of the 2 tabs to disconnect them from the roof. The side of the console closer to the windshield should fall free, and using some patience, gently guide the rest of the overhead out of its tight spot in the roof.

Voila, the overhead console is removed. Here are a few more tips. There is ample room up there for the V1 hardwiring hardware. You need to use one of the 9mm bolts to ground the V1. The Torx screws do not work. You also MUST use a multimeter if you are going to find the switched power. I spent a good 20 minutes fiddling around (I am an electric novice, I confess) and was only able to find one wire with enough juice for the V1. So I tapped it, put everything together, ground the setup, tested it all, and THEN I put it all back together.

The V1 now sits high on my windshield on the left of the mirror--the power wire runs right out of the headliner and can be tucked away when the V1 is removed. The remote display is installed (for now anyway) on the top left corner of the command trim. I ran a wire under and then all the way around the headliner, down the passenger door frame (under the trim of course) and into the glove. I still need to take apart the lower console to hide the wire, but I might move the display once I drive with it in the car for a while. For now, until I decide where I want it, I have tacked it up with some electrical tape. It's a crude setup until I figure out that it is where I want it. Last thing I want to do is move it after taking the time to installed it like a (semi)pro.

I hope this information is helpful. Once I finish my install, and if I find a good switched wire, I will update the post with some pictures. I am not a frequent visitor to these forums, but if you have questions for me, send me a PM and I will get back to you.