M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

"Searching" Transmission ML 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S63 AMG 4Matic
"Searching" Transmission ML 500

We have a 06 ML 500 with transmission problems.

I've been reading the reported transmission problems on this forum and we also experienced the hard shifts 1-2 and 2-1, but this problem disappeared after a few thousand kms.

Since then the transmission works without shocks, but it just doesn't feel right.

There are 2 ways of driving this car: either you drive like an 80-year old which brings you very smoothly (and very slowly) in 4th gear at 40 km/u (!!). The other option is to floor the throttle which results in brisk acceleration which is not always appreciated by the passengers.
There simply isn't any way in between.

If you try to be smart and leave smoothly and then press the throttle a little harder to gain speed, it will keep shifting gears far too quickly because it thinks you are a "slow mover" because you started off slowly....

Following normal traffic comfortably is simply impossible!

I have plenty of experience with MB cars and transmissions. My own CL63 as well as the S550 of my father in law drive more smoothly than the ML500...

Dealer really wants to help and already replaced the valve body and some other part in the gearbox. Didn't help at all. Seems they also run out of inspiration...

I guess the real problem is that this stupid gear box always wants to drive off in 1st gear, which is far too short for normal traffic. A CL63 AMG as well as an S550 start in 2nd gear (Comfort Mode) except when you floor it, then it will shift to 1st.

Any solutions for this problem in the ML500!?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I have an 06 ML500 and find the transmission very smooth and very well adapted to the vehicle. Mine was an early 06 (delivery sept 05) and I never did experience any of the shifting roughness or the downshifting problems that others here have discussed. From what I understand the problems experienced are two fold. First is the valve body problem and second there is a electronic controller problem which requires either a software update or replacement. I gather that those that have had problems are now satisfied after the fixes. I recently also heard that there is a new type of trans fluid which helps with some of the issues.