M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 not a stable vehicle at speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I have had an F350, an F150, and a number of domestic SUV's over the years. Yes, I know what an SUV and a truck is. Yes, I know what a high center of gravity implies and results in.
I am a long time MB enthusiast and as stated, very disappointed in my ML350. There is simply no excuse for MB to have released this vehicle with such wind sensitivity and wobbling tipsy suspension.

Incidentally, when shopping last January, I was very close to purchasing the GL550 with the air suspension. It was impressively resistant to wind effects on the highway and demonstrated excellent lateral stability. However, the price on the vehicle was about $85000 and it delivered 11.5 mpg on the long demo ride. After paying over $100 a tank to fill up my truck during the last fuel fiasco, I was not in the mood to purchase another gas hog and be abused by oil companies and oil speculators.

Today, it was very windy and the ML was all over the road at 60 mph. I really dislike driving this unstable vehicle. All being said, I am not going to make any more posts about this subject. Everything has been said.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
SKytop, I really think you should get rid of this vehicle...and fast, you seem to despise it and all you do is complain about everything, runningboards etc, so in order for you to get over this, take the hit and trade it in on something that wont let you spit venom, I would hate to feel like you do for any vehicle that I owned, and if I did feel like you I would just chalk this up as a mistake and take a financial hit, becuase this undue stress on your heart is certainly not worth it. Hope you can rectify this ordeal.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX, R350 soon
Yep, sell it. It is a very sick feeling paying for a car you don't like. Worse than taking the financial hit.

Cross wind sensitivity was not mentioned in your OP, get rid of it.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Whats really interesting here is that the complaints that the OP made seem to get worse as the thread progressed. In addition the complaints that he has are not like any I have seen before re the ML. Me thinks there is more of an underlying cause of the complaints that are not related to the vehicle. He claims to be a very experienced SCCA ex racer and with lots of experience with different types of vehicles. I question that also.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 PM

06 ML350 Black/Black Appearance Package/ 06 SC430 Pearl White/White 19" Amistad, Tein CS coilovers
I havent looked at this thread for a while, It started out with the vehicle being unstable at 35m/hr and now we are talking about cross winds. When I read the part about cross winds it caught my attention because a couple of days earlier this week were fairly windy not extremely windy but gusty. A few times the wind just grabbed my 09 Ml 350 and I did feel very unstable and unfamiliar as to wonder what was going on with this as I never felt this with my 06 ML 350. I do have the airmatic in my 09 and other than those cross winds I love the handling in sport mode.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:36 AM

ml500
Who cares...

Everyone is going to have different experiences with the ML. Personally, I think the ML is just ok (it happens to be my wife's car), and that's pretty much backed up by most reviews in auto mags.

When we purchased the vehicle, I actually preferred her to get the X5, because that does drive more like a sedan. However, we didn't. That's alright because I'm not the one who has to live with it on a day to day basis.

That being said, Skytop, I hope this is your wife's car.

Last edited by chronman6; 04-03-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by skytop
First, my intent is not to upset anyone who is having a love affair with their MB suv. That being said, I will respond in kind to what has generally been posted. My experience with this new ML350 is not satisfactory. Other issues also ruin the "MB experience" but I am only referring to the suspension issue now.

There is NO WAY anyone can state sincerely that their suv is "rock stable." Take it up to 65 and wiggle the steering and hold on tight. We are talking about an suv and not a low slung car or sports car. Additionally, my ML is even very sensitive to side winds. This causes a seriously obnoxious situation during windy days. I find this flaw to be very annoying. On long trips, I must constantly adjust for changes in vehicle direction due to wind loading effect.

I do not have the air suspension option. The car was approaching 60K list and I could not see spending any more money on options of an already overpriced vehicle. In retrospect, the air suspension would have possibly been a necessary option ONLY if it helps big time with lateral stability.

This is my 5th MB and I have had a number of M car BMW's plus I was a member of the SCCA. I also ride motorcycles for over 30 years. I feel I have an appreciation and understanding of what 'rock stable' feels like and my ML350 "ain't anywhere near it." My kid calls it the wiggle express.

The dealer tech just stated that I might change my tires. The car came with Contis which are known to have soft sidewalls. After I put some miles on, I will switch to Michelins and hope they will be stiffer to ameliorate the softness of the lateral movement. I do not have the air suspension option.

I will keep this vehicle for two years and then get rid of it. I will not be purchasing an SUV ever again.

THERE is your problem! The contis! God those are the crappiest tires ever placed on this SUV. I initially had the COntis and I had those on other German cars and they are so mushy and did not keep the high ML stable after 10k miles and i knew I had to get better fit tires, so I got the Michelins and I am very proud of my decision. SOme ML350s come with the Michelins and I currently have Michelins which have kept my SUV very stable and perfect on my daily 90 mile commute in Michigan. I have done over 62,000 miles on my 2006 ML and I had for 30 months now and I am a fast and aggressive driver. I have a BMW 335i couple., Audi A8L and Lexus GS in my Garage. I would put this SUV on the top in stability in all weather and wind. It is windy at times and get very bad snow during the winter but by god I swear that this SUV with the Michelin is the trick. It has out perform in stability compared to my Lexus, infiniti, Jeep, and BMW Suvs. Please, for your sake, don;t wait to get the Michelins, get them now and get those contis off. It is worth your life and safety and satisfaction. Good luck.

Last edited by Baloo588; 06-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM

I had three long discussions with MB and they state that the Michelins have a far stiffer ride however, it comes with added potential problems. Owners complain about road noise with the Michelins.

As for the turkeys posting complaints about my posts and who are upset that another MB owner finds the product tremendously substandard and inadequate, I say, live with it. I have had too many MB's and Beemers, and Porsches to accept this shoddy vehicle's handlings. Incidentally, the POS is currently in the shop for the 12th major servicing of electrical and mechanical problems. This time the A/C compressor has failed and the good 'ol keyless locking system is faulty again. It is a fact that MB is suffering with all time low reliability ratings. There is a good reason for it. Just ask the man who unfortunately owns one of these problem vehicles. I am just waiting to see what surprises await me when I get to sell this slug.

Last edited by skytop; 06-29-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had three long discussions with MB and they state that the Michelins have a far stiffer ride however, it comes with added potential problems. Owners complain about road noise with the Michelins.

As for the turkeys posting complaints about my posts and who are upset that another MB owner finds the product tremendously substandard and inadequate, I say, live with it. I have had too many MB's and Beemers, and Porsches to accept this shoddy vehicle's handlings. Incidentally, the POS is currently in the shop for the 12th major servicing of electrical and mechanical problems. This time the A/C compressor has failed and the good 'ol keyless locking system is faulty again. It is a fact that MB is suffering with all time low reliability ratings. There is a good reason for it. Just ask the man who unfortunately owns one of these problem vehicles. I am just waiting to see what surprises await me when I get to sell this slug.
Why don't you try to live with it instead of blaming your poor driving technique on the vehicle. Since reading this post I tried to duplicate your issue as I have an 06 with continental tires and never had an issue like yours. I was able to do so and the only way was to overcontrol the ML slightly while going in a straight line. The ML has quick steering with little or no deadband. A bit of overcontrol creates exactly what you are complaining about. Try finding a straight level non or minimally crowned road and take your hands off the wheel at 35 to 40 MPH. It will go straight as an arrow. Then do the same road at the same speed with your hands on the wheel and use the slight movement of your hand each time you feel the vehicle twitching to either side. It will occurr. Make an effort to keep your hands steady as they should be and it will go away. You say you raced SCCA as I have many years ago and also hill climbed. Well, thats all amature racing and means nothing. I have seen guys hand flying an aircraft when I flew for a living with the wings rocking back and forth the whole time. Some were able to overcome this others could not. Same deal. As for the mechanical issues, I have had this 06 ML for almost 4 years now its been to the shop 5 times each time for a routine inspection and no faults. This is my 3rd ML and by far the best (My 02 was the worst).I have an 2010 ML550 coming in mid September. My 05 E Class I cannot duplicate your ML issue with. It has slower steering with a wider deadband. If you really want to try a car that feels really twitchy try a mid year Corvette with power steering. That will wake you up. My advice to you is to bite the bullet, stop whining and sell your ML.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
I had a buddy once that compained about his wife less than this and soon separated. Cost him dearly and he is happy as kid on the last day of school.

I dont know what to tell ya on the handling, Ive driven quite a few M classes and dont think Ive ran across one that didnt handle as good if not better than my Dodge Ram(and I throw that thing around like its a vette almost). The wind pushes my Ram a bit too but nothing that a little turn of the steering wheel didnt take care of.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Just saw this thread, and after driving my 2007 ML CDI for the last 54000 miles, I have NEVER once had an issue with the handling.
I tried to duplicate the OP's issue by wiggling the steering at various speeds. 35, 45 55 and 65MPH. I turned the wheel back and forth about 30-45 degrees from center several times rapidly. The result? The front wheels tracked my violent wiggling input without a hitch and felt like if I turned more, it would follow that too. The rear followed just as confidently with slight sway as to be expected. Overall, the truck had a solid controlled feel. As for being unstable? Not mine. And I was not in sport mode, just the regular setting. I have taken exit ramps at high g's with the truck in the past just for spirited driving, and even getting the tires to squeal and slide in the turn is difficult.
Oh, by the way, I have had the factory Continentals from new, now on my second set.
The crosswinds on the other hand requires an alert driver!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 PM

2007 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Just saw this thread, and after driving my 2007 ML CDI for the last 54000 miles, I have NEVER once had an issue with the handling.
I tried to duplicate the OP's issue by wiggling the steering at various speeds. 35, 45 55 and 65MPH. I turned the wheel back and forth about 30-45 degrees from center several times rapidly. The result? The front wheels tracked my violent wiggling input without a hitch and felt like if I turned more, it would follow that too. The rear followed just as confidently with slight sway as to be expected. Overall, the truck had a solid controlled feel. As for being unstable? Not mine. And I was not in sport mode, just the regular setting. I have taken exit ramps at high g's with the truck in the past just for spirited driving, and even getting the tires to squeal and slide in the turn is difficult.
Oh, by the way, I have had the factory Continentals from new, now on my second set.
The crosswinds on the other hand requires an alert driver!!!

Agreed..I think the OP needs to just sell it as previously mentioned...There is no way he is going to be happy with it. He needs to stick to low to the ground sedans that don't 'feel' the crosswind, etc.

Lotus Exige perhaps? LOL
Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
There isnt a car built that wont feel a crosswind of sufficient force. I spent time in the SLR Mclaren in Germany and the wind pushes it around. Not sure if you will be happy in anything you drive except in calm conditions
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
put some eibach springs on the car. lowers it by 1.5" and will be a little stiffer. i have a pair i will sell for $215.00 including shipping if you want them.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vernl
There isnt a car built that wont feel a crosswind of sufficient force. I spent time in the SLR Mclaren in Germany and the wind pushes it around. Not sure if you will be happy in anything you drive except in calm conditions
I do not think that this guy is experiencing a cross wind issue but an overcontrolling issue. Seems to me that he is blaming the ML for his sub standard driving abilities and/or deficiencies. If this was a problem for many owners we would have heard about it with many threads and complaints. My feeling is that the ML has excellent handling and very precise steering. The Continental tires that I have had on my current and a past ML500 in my estimation are excellent.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Ha ha. The level of ignorance on this MB forum is truly astounding. I am thoroughly enjoying the prejudice and tortured thinking some of you are expressing. It seems your eagerness to negatively judge another MB owner is exceeded only by your gross intolerance. Look at yourselves and think about why you are so accusational and quick to "judge" others. Your behavior is pitiable. Yes, MB mindless arrogance is alive on well on this forum.
BTW, don't bother venting your ample tempers and intolerance unless you want to bring a smile to my face.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ha ha. The level of ignorance on this MB forum is truly astounding. I am thoroughly enjoying the prejudice and tortured thinking some of you are expressing. It seems your eagerness to negatively judge another MB owner is exceeded only by your gross intolerance. Look at yourselves and think about why you are so accusational and quick to "judge" others. Your behavior is pitiable. Yes, MB mindless arrogance is alive on well on this forum.
BTW, don't bother venting your ample tempers and intolerance unless you want to bring a smile to my face.
Glad you think its funny but YOU are the one with the problem that non of the other 100's of thousands of owners do not have.You claim to be an ex race car driver but that means nothing as its amature racing. Surprised you even qualified. Why not just take every ones advice and sell your ML. You won't be happy till you do.You could also work on trying to improve your driving skill level but you do not seem to want to do that. You my friend are the one with the mindless arrogance and the intolerance of the majority of owners. Go back to your Porsche and BMW's.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 AM

2007 ML320 CDI
Well bye bye then! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! LOL
Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by Vernl
2010 S-Class with ABC w/crosswind stabilization..
Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
My '09 ML350 is unstable at speeds over 35 mph. I had it to the dealer and they just give me the high center of gravity story. They state all SUV's are inherently far more unstable than passenger cars.
Cold comfort and I don't buy the explanation. Maybe 10 years ago but not today and not with MB. I would have thought this SUV would have more intelligent suspension and mechanicals that would control swaying and excessive leaning. Not so. At any speed over 35, any sudden emergency avoidence maneuver will definitely roll this vehicle over. Rapid left and right steering wheel movement sets up a very dangerous rocking motion that fully upsets the vehicle AND the occupants. It is hard to believe the vehicle is so twitchy and unstable. Even the MB tech was unnerved by the instability of the ML350. If I would have experienced this before buying, I would not be an MB owner. That is a fact.

Has anyone found any solutions for this problem? Anyone change shocks from the stock Bilsteins?
The physics won't change even 50 years from now, a taller vehicle will almost always have a higher center of gravity.

Do you have 17' rims by any chance? My mom used to have that car and I thought it was a little unstable too, but that's because the way I would drive it

Get an AMG next time you expect superior handling
Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 PM

2010 E350W, 2009 ML350, 2008 ML350
Whoa, I've had my ML since October, this past April a black truck almost side swiped me into the center median, I reacted on nerves and very poorly, hit the brakes, over corrected, had I been in another SUV, I'm fairly certain that I would have hit the wall and rolled over, I did everything wrong, but at 70mph, the car maintained control and I was able to maneuver out of that situation. It may not drive like a Ferrari, but its stable where it really counts.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey,
Sorry you are having problems with your ML in terms of reliability. I have a 2006 Lexus GS right now that is nearly as bad with more problems and I am glad to get rid of end of lease in 1 month. Yes, its a Lexus but hey any company which are good can produce a bad seed car. Anyways, the Michelin MXV4 does ride a bit stiff in the back but i put the pressure slightly down and its been perfect. The Michelins are extremely quiet on the highways. I have hearing loss and I can hear everyone well in the car. Hope you try the new 2009 Ml350 with the airmatic suspension, you will be impress.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I just returned from my third road trip in my wife 2009 ML350, no hint of wandering or tracking on the highway, infact one of the passengers commented how stable and tight it felt, we were cruising at 140km for the duration of the trip and all adult passengers fell asleep, so I am very pleased with this vehicle for long trips and highway drives.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by 1st amg
we were cruising at 140km for the duration of the trip and all adult passengers fell asleep.
Just had a Chevy Chase visual in my head from National Lampoons Vacation
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM

ML320 (W163)
Stability

My '09 ML350 is unstable at speeds over 35 mph. I had it to the dealer and they just give me the high center of gravity story.
I find the W164 far inferior to the W163 in terms of stability in any condition.
My solution was to get new tires and replace them when the are about 1/2 worn. Our last Michelins tramlined horribly (car swerved left/right continuously on anything but a glass smooth road) when we got down to 6/32nds tread depth. The new Bridgestone Revo's eliminated 90% of the problem, but it's still noticebly harder to keep it going in a straight line (on rutted roads) than our old W163 (even when the W163 had worn out tires).

Not a great solution, but if you like the car for everything else it does well ... this isn't so bad.

I don't think changing shocks is going to do anything for you. You could try deviating from the factory alignment specs, but the tradeoff will be tire wear and fuel economy (a bit more toe-in). The cost to throw the tires away prematurely only adds $300 to cost of ownership every 30k miles. Not the end of the world.

john

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML350 not a stable vehicle at speed