M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

overhead DVD player

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML350 Black/Black Appearance Package/ 06 SC430 Pearl White/White 19" Amistad, Tein CS coilovers
overhead DVD player

I have a friend who has one of those all in one aftermarket flip down overhead dvd player and lcd screen in his SUV. It is self contained and can be heard through the car stereo using the built in FM modulator or privately through the included head phones.

My question is, is there anyway of mounting it that will not do any damage to the fabric on the roof as my ML is leased and I would eventualy be returning it, so I guess I would have to take it down before doing so.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM

08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
Wink Get the wife hold it up

Originally Posted by camillian
I have a friend who has one of those all in one aftermarket flip down overhead dvd player and lcd screen in his SUV. It is self contained and can be heard through the car stereo using the built in FM modulator or privately through the included head phones.

My question is, is there anyway of mounting it that will not do any damage to the fabric on the roof as my ML is leased and I would eventualy be returning it, so I guess I would have to take it down before doing so.
Without nuts and bolts, how can you secure the heavy thing, 5 lbs at the lightest, up to the roof ? Have some adults holding it when in use ?
Most of the case, people has to cut the liner, drill into the metal frame to secure the DVD player and LCD, not to let them drop on the children heads when going over bumps. If your SUV has sun roof, it's another obstacle.
The best solution to your situation is using 2 LCD monitors attached to the headrests.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Construction grade velcro?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i dont have a ML but i have an Alpine flip down unit in my C. its pretty sweet, all my passengers really like it and its great for keeping little ones occupied. you can also rig it so it plays the same thing as the screen on my head unit, which is pretty cool.

as far as installation i think either way you are going to be doing some damage to the vehicle. velcro is a good idea but even the sticky part will leave a mark on the interior i bet. i would talk to a dealer about a full quality install; seems to me like you are only adding value to the vehicle so even when you turn it in it would be easier for them to sell. but i know they like to hit you anyway they can with lease turn ins, so i could easily be wrong.

but i mean, this is how i think: two identical vehicles, one has a flip down dvd player that was professionally installed and works perfectly - and that is the only difference between the two. which car do 90% of people choose???
Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 PM

ML
It will affect the roof. Nowadays you can get headrest monitors for the same price. Or if you want a very cheap method since your leasing but doesnt look like factory. Get two portable monitors for under $200 that have straps to go on your headrest.