M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rattling? What may it be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 500
Rattling? What may it be?

Hello, to all MB members! I am new here so forgive me if this has been asked before. In my 2006 ML 500 there is a strange rattling noise that is coming from the back. For some odd reason, when you sit in the rear seat (behind the driver) and put pressure backwards onto the seat this strange rattling stops... Weird isn't? I think it may be that flappy thing you pull down to cover the stuff in your trunk. Anyone have a solution to this? Another problem is that the rear bass vibrates a hella lot Even when i remove the door that covers it still makes an obnoxious vibrating sound. Basically i think it may be the metal of the actualy car thats vibrating becuase of this. Do you think there is a lack of cushioning for the vibrating bass in the rear left part of the SUV? Thanks for the help in advance guys and gals, appriciate it loads! Peace and Love from Toronto!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Originally Posted by Xenon4U
Hello, to all MB members! I am new here so forgive me if this has been asked before. In my 2006 ML 500 there is a strange rattling noise that is coming from the back. For some odd reason, when you sit in the rear seat (behind the driver) and put pressure backwards onto the seat this strange rattling stops... Weird isn't? I think it may be that flappy thing you pull down to cover the stuff in your trunk. Anyone have a solution to this? Another problem is that the rear bass vibrates a hella lot Even when i remove the door that covers it still makes an obnoxious vibrating sound. Basically i think it may be the metal of the actualy car thats vibrating becuase of this. Do you think there is a lack of cushioning for the vibrating bass in the rear left part of the SUV? Thanks for the help in advance guys and gals, appriciate it loads! Peace and Love from Toronto!
The luggage compartment cover (that flappy thing) comes off. On my '09 you just push one end toward the other then lift the whole thing out. Try it. If the rattle goes away, you found the problem.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Rattling in my 2006 ML: Sunroof, rear suspension and exhaust. MB fixed all these rattles just before the 2 year warranty ran out, but they´re back again now. Sometimes I get so annoyed that I feel I should torch this car

Anyway one thing remain certain: MB assembly outside Stuttgart/Sindelfingen will never match the same build quality