M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2010 Cadillac SRX vs ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
2010 Cadillac SRX vs ML

I am finding myself attracted to the 2010 SRX. What do people think of it? My dealer says he will have one to drive in July.

I think it could be a good competitor to the ML this year as the W164 seems to be getting on in years. Are we due for a replacement to the W164 in 2011? If not perhaps the SRX will be a standby for this level truck.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
I had an '09 SRX for the weekend a few months back. Other than its soccer Mom appearance, it impressed me. It had the magnetic ride suspension which is phenomenal -- noticeably faster reacting than my ML550's air suspension and just as comfortable. It's adaptive four-wheel drive system is more sophisticated than the ML's, more like the BMW X5's. Here in Canada dealers are discounting upwards of $15,000 off list. The deal breaker for me was the seat belts: they are attached to the top of the seats and are not located high enough, so they cut into my shoulder something fierce. Also, while I don't want to kick anybody when they are down, do you really want to buy from GM right now?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Thumbs up l had a chance........

to sit in a new SRX at the Detriot Auto show, a few months back and l was very impressed...Much nicer, softer lines, certainly a head turner...though as mentioned, with all this going on with GM, you have to wonder ????
Old 05-10-2009, 01:47 AM

2016 GL450
I compared the Caddy with the ML before buying the ML this year. The Northstar engine is great, the suspension and mechanical quality is fine also. One issue killed it for me. 1) The interior fit and finish is terrible compared to the ML, period. The new one I looked at had four very noticeably different wood grain shades and grain pattern out of five pieces in the interior view from the drivers seat. The hood over the speedometer and tachometer looked like an aftermarket glue-on item. Also, based on numerical history anyone can get from the last five years of NADA books I think the depreciation slope is and will be even more so steep in the near future. Just my opinion..
Old 05-10-2009, 02:04 PM

R500
Originally Posted by entre
I compared the Caddy with the ML before buying the ML this year. The Northstar engine is great, the suspension and mechanical quality is fine also. One issue killed it for me. 1) The interior fit and finish is terrible compared to the ML, period. The new one I looked at had four very noticeably different wood grain shades and grain pattern out of five pieces in the interior view from the drivers seat. The hood over the speedometer and tachometer looked like an aftermarket glue-on item. Also, based on numerical history anyone can get from the last five years of NADA books I think the depreciation slope is and will be even more so steep in the near future. Just my opinion..
I don't think you sat in the new SRX as it was just shown at NY Auto Show.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Mercedes is not going bankrupt.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 AM

R500
Originally Posted by lkchris
Mercedes is not going bankrupt.
he was talking about GM aka Cadillac
Old 05-11-2009, 04:58 AM

2016 GL450
Merecedes is a better buy in the long run

My comparison was cutting down the Cadillac interior and on the '09 model. It is correct that I have not sat in a Model year 2010 autoshow demonstration unit which is perfectly assembled by engineers by hand from perfectly chosen and inspected parts. What vehicles actually arrive after the cost engineers and parts subcontractors actually deliver and "Government Motors" accept as sufficient quality on the assembly line will have to wait for an honest comparison therein to the Merecedes ML series. I do wish GM the best of luck but no government taken over automobile manufacturer as been successful in the long run which is why the depreciation will be faster coming.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
who in their right mind would compare a Mercedes benz product to GM? I know the GM products have improved dramatically, but for vanity and image alone, no comparison whatsoever.....call me vain, yes, but at some point you are what you drive. I do expect to get flamed for this one, so torch me if you have to.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM

R500
[flame on]

Originally Posted by 1st amg
08 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
[/flame off]
Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
who in their right mind would compare a Mercedes benz product to GM? I know the GM products have improved dramatically, but for vanity and image alone, no comparison whatsoever.....
Agree with your first part, but fact is MB's "image" is based on the engineering and that can be compared unemotionally and there is no comparison between Mercedes and American iron.

But, if you really are only buying for looks and emotion, anything will do and most often does. Even buying something from an about-to-be-bankrupt manufacturer.

Then of course, you may like auto assemblers so much that you're willing to buy a vehicle with maximum labor cost content and consequently minimum engineering/material quality content, and if that's so then GM's for you.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
l'm afraid you are mistaken...and yes l did......

Originally Posted by eaadams
I don't think you sat in the new SRX as it was just shown at NY Auto Show.
Here is the link................

http://suvs.about.com/od/picturesofsuvs/ig/2009-NAIAS/
Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 PM

R500
FYI the 2010 SRX is being "hechoed en mexico"
Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 AM

2016 GL450
To continue that line of thought above...

Let's buy American.

So is that:

1) Buy a Merecedes ML series made by American labor in Tuscaloosa, Alabama where the labor money is spent locally by productive well paid citizens.

or

2) Buy a GM made in Mexico by mexican labor where the profits are negative and all the US taxpayers are footing the multibillion dollar expense for the UAW executives to own 55% of "Government Motors" in a payoff placing them above the secured creditors?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agree with your first part, but fact is MB's "image" is based on the engineering and that can be compared unemotionally and there is no comparison between Mercedes and American iron.

But, if you really are only buying for looks and emotion, anything will do and most often does. Even buying something from an about-to-be-bankrupt manufacturer.

Then of course, you may like auto assemblers so much that you're willing to buy a vehicle with maximum labor cost content and consequently minimum engineering/material quality content, and if that's so then GM's for you.
Very well said.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eaadams
[flame on]

[/flame off]
I know, I know, but if there was a pick up truck that Mercedes made I am sure it would be in my driveway, my truck is about one year old, only 18000KM on it and it is showing signs of "loosey goosey", something that I do not experience in any of our cars, nor the 2007 BMW 525i that I recently traded in for my wife. Never did that car show any signs of wear and tear, its kind of pathetic to be honest, might have to try another manufacture for the truck next time.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM

'09 ML550
... nor the 2007 BMW 525i that I recently traded in for my wife.
Hell of a deal.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM

'09 ML550
...MB's "image" is based on the engineering and that can be compared unemotionally and there is no comparison between Mercedes and American iron.
I defy you to show where any Mercedes has superior engineering to the Cadillac. The Northstar engine is as sophisticated as any -- it even has direct injection, which Mercedes do not. Cadillac's four-wheel-drive system is superior to Mercedes -- it assigns power left to right as well as front to back, whereas Mercedes just uses braking for that. The Cadillac has a very sophisticated suspension systemn that utilizes magneto-rheologic shock adjustment and that was extensively fine-tuned on the Nurburgring; Mercedes still use the much slower-reacting mechanical valving in their shocks. Cadillac's NAV system is better than Mercedes', OnStar is superior to Mercedes offering, and the list goes on.

I don't disagree that GM has quality problems (unlike Mercedes? -- ha!, see W163) and there is no denying that when you are supporting three retirees for every production line worker you have a millstone around your neck. Also, I agree that GM's senior management for many years sucked big-time. But let's give credit where it is due: American auto engineers are as innovative as any in the world when they are just given a chance to do their thing.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 PM

R500
The engineering is one thing. But the styling (I think Cadillac has great styling, unlike the rest of GM) and the actual fabrication is bellow benz. Now if the fabrication people blame the rattles to design then it is an engineering issue.