M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2009 ML320 reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW
2009 ML320 reliability

Hello All

I am thinking about the new 2009 ML 320 Blutec. I drove one today and it was wonderful. However, I was wondering about reliability on the newer 320 diesels. I do know that the older ML models had some major issues, but I haven't been able to get a lot of reliable data on the new 320 reliability. I spoke to the tech at the dealership and he said they were "solid".
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the car, but if it is going to be a headache and in the shop alot, it isn't worth it......it that is the case, I would just as well go with Lexus or Acura, even though I don't like them as much.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
When you buy a Mercedes, you're buying something a LOT closer to a Ferrari than to a Camry.

It's NOT a car where you never visit your dealer's service department.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 AM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
Originally Posted by dallyd31
Hello All

I am thinking about the new 2009 ML 320 Blutec. I drove one today and it was wonderful. However, I was wondering about reliability on the newer 320 diesels. I do know that the older ML models had some major issues, but I haven't been able to get a lot of reliable data on the new 320 reliability. I spoke to the tech at the dealership and he said they were "solid".
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the car, but if it is going to be a headache and in the shop alot, it isn't worth it......it that is the case, I would just as well go with Lexus or Acura, even though I don't like them as much.
We just picked up an ML 320 Bluetec about 8 weeks ago, coming from an '05 Lexus RX 330. There are many things that we love about our new MB, but reliability isn't one of them.

In our short ownership time: the vehicle was initially delivered with a damaged windshield wiper (just the blade); 3 weeks in the infamous check engine light appeard; that same week we received our first recall notice; and just yesterday the check engine light came back on, which is likely to lead to another recall notice. Something about the Urea injector, but we'll know more on Monday.

None of these issues are major or have made the vehicle undriveable. More of a huge PITA than anything. By comparison, our RX was in the shop total of 2 times in 4 years for anything other than routine maintenance (a cd player issue and a loose flap over the gas tank...both covered by warranty and easily repaired).

Originally Posted by lkchris
When you buy a Mercedes, you're buying something a LOT closer to a Ferrari than to a Camry.

It's NOT a car where you never visit your dealer's service department.
That is the most ridiculous statement.

If you think an ML is closer to a Ferrari than a Toyota you are delusional and need to stop guzzling the MB kool aid.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 AM

2009 ML350
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
We just picked up an ML 320 Bluetec about 8 weeks ago, coming from an '05 Lexus RX 330. There are many things that we love about our new MB, but reliability isn't one of them.

In our short ownership time: the vehicle was initially delivered with a damaged windshield wiper (just the blade); 3 weeks in the infamous check engine light appeard; that same week we received our first recall notice; and just yesterday the check engine light came back on, which is likely to lead to another recall notice. Something about the Urea injector, but we'll know more on Monday.

None of these issues are major or have made the vehicle undriveable. More of a huge PITA than anything. By comparison, our RX was in the shop total of 2 times in 4 years for anything other than routine maintenance (a cd player issue and a loose flap over the gas tank...both covered by warranty and easily repaired).

If you think an ML is closer to a Ferrari than a Toyota you are delusional and need to stop guzzling the MB kool aid.
seems like he says a lot of stuff like that
Old 06-27-2009, 01:21 AM

2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by ninjajim4
seems like he says a lot of stuff like that
haha, very true.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:36 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
The 09 is the first year model of the Bluetec and alot of times you may have issues that are unforseen with a new model until it gets out into the field. Granted it is a PITA but sadly part of a new car model sometimes, like my 2006 Dodge Ram(new that year)- had driver rear door wiring be repaired twice and my 2006 Yamaha Raptor(new that year)- had to have the frame replaced.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
After getting tired of Lexus we decided to try Mercedes again. We got a 2006 ml350 back in Dec of 2006 and we have placed 63,500 miles on the Ml350 and it has been FLAWLESS! I mean it has not had any problems or any poor steering feel, worn out brakes, and rattles like our 2004 Lexus RX350 which I considered a flimsy SUV. The Ml does 90 miles commute a day 5 days a week and we leased it for 25,000 miles a year and it does stand up to the mercedes Benz reliability. Mercedes has returned to its good old days almost with its reliability record being close to Lexus or Acura in the past 3-4 years after the new CEO took over the Mercedes Division. So, the answer to the question about reliability, test drive the car you want to buy and if you are happy, get it. I trust it will be a good experience.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Why compare to a Ferrari? Would any car person ever think a Ferrari was an icon of reliability? HA! Not! Better to ask to compare to a Honda or Subaru.
My 2009 ML350 gas job is now back in the shop for the 12th time. As an MB owner, this is the LAST time MB gets by business. It is flat out a trouble machine electrically and mechanically. I am tired of being a beta tester for MB.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Dallyd31, my 07 CDI was a first year ML CDI in the US, and yes I have had some concerns. None of them have ever left me stranded, and with 54000 miles in two years, I can't even remember all of them.
The dealer usually give a loaner, warranties are fixed quickly and I think by now, most of the common bugs are gone. (Tranny reprogram/valve body change was the most serious complaint.) You may have something with the urea treatment as this is the first year in the US, but you also have a solid warranty to back it up.

As a comparison, my brother bought a new 06 Toyota Sequoia and has 60000 miles. I visited him in FL. recently and he let me use it. He does maintain his cars, but that thing needed a lot of work. Brakes pulse, suspension clunks, A/C not ice cold and the general "worn down feel." He is already forced to contemplate replacing it, where as my ML still rides as SOLID as brand new, pulls like a freight train, and needs nothing but oil changes.

Mercedes does put some durability in the vehicles they build, and you can tell they are made to last a little longer that the competition. If I had to do it again, I would stick with MB.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
The wife just got home from MB and it turns out that it was the Adblue injector/valve that was causing the CEL. They were aware that this is a problem and replaced both.

The recall was in regards to rear tailgate. The seals needed to be replaced as there was a potential issue with water getting inside the housing and shorting out.

Like I said previously, nothing major mechanically....but a major PITA.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 AM

ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by dallyd31
Hello All

I have a Euro spec ML320CDI, built in 2006, bought second hand 1 year ago. Car has been very reliable (never had to visit dealer) and amazing to drive. I also own a 2005 CLK bought from new. While it had a few initiall niggles/faults, any faults were minor (and would proabbly be ignored in a lesser vehicle - it is just that at the price you have, rightly, zero tollerance) and dealt with efficiently under warranty (apart from one occassion which I had to argue a bit since it was outside the official warranty period so I initially got the "they all do that" excuse) to the extent that I hardly recollect them. Having said that, you must understand something with Mercedes cars - they mellow with age and their inherent reliability and durability comes shinning to replace the minor initiall problems. I sold my original CLK after six years and was in "brand new" condition. With my current CLK , you cannot tell that it is 4 years old, and with the ML when I bought it as a 2 year old model, people who got in thought it was a brand new car. It was impossible to tell its age either from looking at, or most importantly, driving it. It feels "brand new" solid. I have owned japanese cars, and they are indeed more "reliable" in the sense that they need just servicing, but after a few years they are "tired" and you have to replace them because while they give you no trouble, you do not enjoy the old car feel. Not the Mercedes. You replace them because you want to, not because you have to.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM

From 2006 ML 320 CDI - from 2009 Audi Q5 S-Line 3.0 TDI DSG - from 2011 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE
Just sold my ML 320 CDI

I just ordered my new Audi Q5 3.0 TDI Quattro

I have to move to Audi Forums now!

Have a good time with your MB's. I was enough. Good luck to all!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

Yet, I would own a Ferrari but you couldn't give me a Toyota.

Life is too short for that sort of boredom.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM

08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
[QUOTE=CDNROCKIES;3592272If you think an ML is closer to a Ferrari than a Toyota you are delusional and need to stop guzzling the MB kool aid.[/QUOTE]