M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009 | 05:40 PM

2006 ML500
Transmission Slipping

The car is in 06 ML500 (7G) with about 45K kms on the clock. When new once it was accelerating, 1st gear, 2nd gear then instead of third it slipped into neutral and revved quite high. I pulled over. It did it 2 - 3 times, but I was able to get it to the dealer by driving in manual mode for a while, then all seemed fine again. (The dealer indicated the cause of the problem was the factory not putting in enough tran fluid.) Until now ...

Now over the last few weeks, when cold, driving away from home in the morning, when not under load, it changes 1-2 ok, but the 2-3 change is sloppy, like in a manual car when the clutch is going. It revs higher for less than second before slipping into gear.

It's progressevily getting worse, ie it slips more and continues longer into my trip as the car warms up. The other day it did it after the car was quite warm.

If it's under load (ie if I accelerate harder) it seems ok. It only seems to be between 2 and 3.

It's obviously a dealer thing. Any suggestions before I go in (again)?
Old 08-04-2009 | 10:16 PM

ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
I am no tranny expert , all i can suggest is to make sure they fix it under warranty b4 its too late.If you wait too long it may well turn into a several thousand dollar bite in your wallet. To Help them out, make a few notes on what happens as it happens..things like temps , whether you just left home with a cold vehicle etc. shift patterns and so on. I have a feeling that they will end up giving you another tranny at some point.

Last edited by Vernl; 08-04-2009 at 10:19 PM.