MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164-72/)
-   -   2006 ML350: Feels like rear shocks are gone (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/316393-2006-ml350-feels-like-rear-shocks-gone.html)

Baloo588 09-12-2009 11:13 AM

2006 ML350: Feels like rear shocks are gone

We have been noticing that our ML350 has been so jerky and slamming over small bumps, potholes, and speed bumps to the point that we can conclude that the back suspension is gone. We have 55k miles on it and we bought an extended warranty to 75k. There seems to be some "booming" sound when the back of the car hits a bump or comes down our driveway over the hump between the driveway and the main street. Its so bad now even with the new tires we placed on the car (Michelin MXV4) which is our second set of tires. The car was perfectly fine from new until about 50k miles. Any advice????

Vernl 09-12-2009 03:29 PM

Yes, take advantage of your warranty before it runs out

dgiturbo 09-12-2009 11:03 PM

I had to replace my rear shocks at 45K miles. The service tech hinted that this was not a surprise to him, as he has replaced several 164 ML rear shocks before. It was under warranty, so I did not have to spring for the $650 bucks.

If you take off a rear tire, look carefully at the shock, and you will see a dusty coating of oil smeared to the shock tube.

Get it repaired under warranty!!

Baloo588 10-05-2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by dgiturbo (Post 3713773)
I had to replace my rear shocks at 45K miles. The service tech hinted that this was not a surprise to him, as he has replaced several 164 ML rear shocks before. It was under warranty, so I did not have to spring for the $650 bucks.

If you take off a rear tire, look carefully at the shock, and you will see a dusty coating of oil smeared to the shock tube.

Get it repaired under warranty!!

Thank god I bought the extended warranty. The service guy will pick up my car tmw and take a look at it. I am glad you mentioned this to me. I will give an update sometime this week after they fix the problem.

Benzo 003 10-06-2009 09:24 AM

please keep us posted on the outcome, I have notice a similar "hollow" thunk from the rear when hitting a sharp bump at lower speeds.....I only have 22k miles and sure hope it's not a shock issue this soon....

Baloo588 10-14-2009 01:55 PM

The noise came from a bad ball joint so the dealership replaced the right rear ball joint. However, my main complaint was when I am sitting in the back seat and someone is driving the car over bumps and small holes on the road and some patched over potholes I can feel that back suspension being jerked up and down and causing me to feel jolted and shaken alot in the back and it never used to be like this. I dont think the dealership looked at this problem or drove the car properly with any mechanic sitting in the back to notice that the ride is not supple and is not absorbing the bumps well in the rear.

So, I plan to take it back again and tell them to look at those struts. DGIturbo, how did the ride feel in the back when you had the shock problems and how did it feel afterwards?

viperjesse 10-27-2009 02:20 PM

I have an 07 ML350 with 20k miles. I just had both rear shocks replaced (1 leaking) and a rear ball joint. The tech said that the manual says to replace the shocks in pairs only.
With 4 people in the car it seems to bottom out when going over small bumps or pot holes.
We took it on vacation and with the kids in the back and full of luggage it was bottoming out a lot.

dgiturbo 11-01-2009 07:33 PM

Baloo588, unfortunately I have never sat in the rear of the car when driven so I can't comment. I discovered the problem when I was rotating tires and noticed the dusty oil smear on the shock tube. It rode the same before and after, but remember I have the Airmatic suspension so it may have been compensating?

peterbanyan 09-05-2015 03:34 PM

2006 ML350 cost to replace rear shocks

dealer wants about $1,800.00 for parts & labor. any comments?

Euler 09-07-2015 07:28 PM

do you have Aromatic? If so, sounds like air spring failure.

kerunt 09-14-2015 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by peterbanyan (Post 6547804)
dealer wants about $1,800.00 for parts & labor. any comments?

For Airmatic that's about right. I recently replaced my rear airmatic shocks with Bilstein B4 units. Found great deals online. An indy replaced both in about 3-4 hours.

zemun1234 09-15-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by kerunt (Post 6556290)
For Airmatic that's about right. I recently replaced my rear airmatic shocks with Bilstein B4 units. Found great deals online. An indy replaced both in about 3-4 hours.

What it is price and place where did you buy them ...

I think it could be useful for other users to know ...