M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Mercedes Security not good enough?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Mercedes Security not good enough?

Yesterday Night, My car was parked on the street

(Homer Street) In vancouver..

After a 1 hour seminar, i came out to find some of the items in my car outside my car.

I was very confused and unlocked my car... went inside my whole car got flipped through, everything was evyerwhere, and found my car loss of about 2 hundred dollars, a louis vuitton coins bag, and all the change in my tray all gone....

I checked the car and all my windows and doors were not messed with.. which made me very confused and I was 100% sure i locked the car because when i came out of the seminar i tried the door and it was locked...

I checked the other cars in front and parked behind me who arrived at the same time... all their cars had the same issue including range rovers and bmw's... all got broken in to without damage..

But what was weird was my expensive stuff that were in the car including a valentine 1 radar detectors and a couple Ipods were all there...

weird...

Anyone think the security is not that great?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
There are lots of pros who can get into a vehicle without causing any damage. Have you ever seen the tow truck operators who can get inside a vehicle (to tow it away) in less than a couple of minutes?

And the fact that other cars on the same block also got broken into tells you it's not a problem with MB's security system per se.

P.S. They didn't take the Valentine One because it's a hassle for them to go and exchange that for cash. They were only after the cash and coins.

Just my two cents.

One final note, breaking into your car is one thing, managing to drive off with the vehicle (which they cannot and will not be able to do) is altogether another thing.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
you just nullified ur own story by saying a bunch of other cars also got broken into with no damage. This was a pro.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:23 PM

ML
All factory security suck ***.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:48 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by UR2SLO
All factory security suck ***.
There's some truth to what you say there...I saw a security demonstration this past spring where a cop took an air bulb about the size of the top of a turkey baster with a large-gauge (small numeric number) hypodermic needle glued in and unlocked a Honda Civic in about five seconds flat. Put the needle into the lock (obviously knew exactly where to place it in the locking mechanism) and then popped the air bulb with both hands, forcibly expelling a stream of air into the lock. Then just opened the door!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Factory security on all cars is not great. The ML used to be better (W163), because in addition to the alarm on the doors, hatch, and hood, the W163 ML's had a glass breakage sensor that was integrated into the overhead compass.

The compass/glass breakage sensor was made by non other than Delphi (GM), and they could never get it to function properly. Many W163's experienced chronic false alarms, due to the glass breakage sensor not working properly.

So, MB's answer was not to source a better sensor, but to just eliminate the feature entirely, and to disconnect the sensor on ML's that had it.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Hmm, to be honest tho, i would expect more / better from Mercedes

The other cars were Old yr 2000 ish cars and mine was 2008 =/

so honestly i was expecting more