M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Extended Warranty Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML350
Extended Warranty Suggestions?

I am in the process of buying an 07 ML350 in the next day or two and would like to get an extended warranty. Vehicle has 39K, so still have factory warranty left. Any suggestions or recommendations on type and from where? I'm looking at getting a 5 year warranty.

Thanks in advance,
James
Old 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I am not a believer in extended warranties. Its a real crap shoot. I am willing to take the risk and not have one and with all of my MB's since 1998 I have come out ahead. If you must buy one its a no brainer, buy only an MB warranty. By the way these are really not warranties but insurance policies. Sold as warranties only to get around the various State regulations for insurance policies.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM

2007 ML350
Originally Posted by sosh
I am not a believer in extended warranties. Its a real crap shoot. I am willing to take the risk and not have one and with all of my MB's since 1998 I have come out ahead. If you must buy one its a no brainer, buy only an MB warranty. By the way these are really not warranties but insurance policies. Sold as warranties only to get around the various State regulations for insurance policies.
Do you have any ideas how much MB warranties tend to be? I've read a lot of mixed reactions towards 3rd party warrenties. Anyone out there that has had some success with any of them?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I have read a few good things about the Chrysler extended warranty might want to Google it for some reviews.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by asianplow
Do you have any ideas how much MB warranties tend to be? I've read a lot of mixed reactions towards 3rd party warrenties. Anyone out there that has had some success with any of them?
I would stay away from all 3rd party warranties. Rather have nothing than one of those. They will be less expensive than MB's but you get what you pay for. Some problems might be no payments, scam, dealer or shop will not accept, high deductable, many items not covered. I hve no idea as to what the MB warraties cost but I would imagine a couple of grand. As for the Chrysler mentioned above. No way for an MB. If you are that concerned about the costs of ownership perhaps you are buying the wrong vehicle.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE, 2019 BMW X5, 2016 SL550, 1972 Corvette
I purchased a Chrysler extended warranty for my 2003 SL55 and it has paid for itself in a 18 months. Many others on the board have had the same experience.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dan1495
I purchased a Chrysler extended warranty for my 2003 SL55 and it has paid for itself in a 18 months. Many others on the board have had the same experience.
Don't know how long ago you did this. Perhaps when Chrysler and MB were one. Not certain they even offer this any longer and even if they do why on earth would you suggest someone purchase a product from a company whose future is bleak and most likely will not be around to honor the warranty?? As for paying out on your vehicle, yours is much different than the vehicle the OP was buying, its much older, higher performance and much more limited production. All of these factors increase the risk of a failure. The ML is a bread and butter "normal" vehicle with much less likelyhood of a failure. Apples and oranges!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM

2007 ML350
I would stay away from all 3rd party warranties. Rather have nothing than one of those. They will be less expensive than MB's but you get what you pay for. Some problems might be no payments, scam, dealer or shop will not accept, high deductable, many items not covered. I hve no idea as to what the MB warraties cost but I would imagine a couple of grand. As for the Chrysler mentioned above. No way for an MB. If you are that concerned about the costs of ownership perhaps you are buying the wrong vehicle.
I understand that there are cost associated with ownership, but if i can reduce my costs in the long run, what's wrong with that.

I did call my local MB dealer and spoke with one of the service manager's. He said they have had good luch with Ryan's and Mercury warranties. He also informed me that if I do get one, I need to make sure it covers Hi-Tech stuff, because he tends to see more electrical problems with ML's.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
I understand that there are cost associated with ownership, but if i can reduce my costs in the long run, what's wrong with that.

I did call my local MB dealer and spoke with one of the service manager's. He said they have had good luch with Ryan's and Mercury warranties. He also informed me that if I do get one, I need to make sure it covers Hi-Tech stuff, because he tends to see more electrical problems with ML's.
If your deal isnt final yet...ask them to do a CPO on it ...that will get you the warranty you seek and will likely not add much to your monthly payment. My view on extended warranty, and I've had a few, is that if you plan to keep the vehicle for extended lengths of time...its a good idea....and also if you decide to sell it before the end of the warranty it can help sway prospective buyers as they know they have they have some protection. The MB website will tell you all you need to know about prices etc on MB warranty coverage.

Last edited by Vernl; 11-04-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look I am not going to get into a debate with you. I gave you my advice and it seems as if you do not agree with me. Thats fine, go off and buy whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

2007 ML350
Look I am not going to get into a debate with you. I gave you my advice and it seems as if you do not agree with me. Thats fine, go off and buy whatever you are comfortable with.
I'm not trying to get in an argument with you, and if it seems that way, I appologize. I value your opinion as well as others who have responded.

I am undecided on wether or not I should get one and wanted to get the feedback from other owners here. I have done some searching online and have found mixed feelings towards it. I do realize that anything you search for, you will find positive and negative information. I wanted to see what Mercedes owners felt and also if anyone has some luck with them.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

2007 ML350
Originally Posted by Vernl
If your deal isnt final yet...ask them to do a CPO on it ...that will get you the warranty you seek and will likely not add much to your monthly payment. My view on extended warranty, and I've had a few, is that if you plan to keep the vehicle for extended lengths of time...its a good idea....and also if you decide to sell it before the end of the warranty it can help sway prospective buyers as they know they have they have some protection. The MB website will tell you all you need to know about prices etc on MB warranty coverage.
Thanks, I'll look into that. I haven't closed on the deal yet, but terms have been agreed on. I'm not buying it from a MB dealer, but do you think I can get it certified through them?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. I haven't closed on the deal yet, but terms have been agreed on. I'm not buying it from a MB dealer, but do you think I can get it certified through them?
Sorry, I didnt realize you werent getting it at a dealer....I doubt that you have that option now. In fact unless its been serviced regularly at an MB dealer( this is so they can make sure its suitable for coverage), they likely wont sell you any extended warranty coverage either, leaving aftermarket as your only option.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE, 2019 BMW X5, 2016 SL550, 1972 Corvette
Don't know how long ago you did this. Perhaps when Chrysler and MB were one. Not certain they even offer this any longer and even if they do why on earth would you suggest someone purchase a product from a company whose future is bleak and most likely will not be around to honor the warranty?? As for paying out on your vehicle, yours is much different than the vehicle the OP was buying, its much older, higher performance and much more limited production. All of these factors increase the risk of a failure. The ML is a bread and butter "normal" vehicle with much less likelyhood of a failure. Apples and oranges!
If you knew anything about extended warranties (or took the time to learn) you would discover that this warranty is still available and very popular in the MB world. I apologize if you think I was comparing apples to oranges - I was simply trying to offer my experience to the OP. I won't make that mistake again with any thread that you are involved in.

And thanks for pointing out the differences between an SL55 and an ML. I'm sure you cleared up a lot of confusion about that.

Last edited by dan1495; 11-05-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM

2007 ML350
Thanks everyone for all your responses. I at least have an idea with which companies to look at. I can see this topic getting ugly.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM

'09 ML550
asianplow: If the vehicle is still under warranty, you are still eligible to buy a Mercedes extended warranty. I have one on my ML550. I'm not sure why sosh says it's not really a warranty or what he means by that, but mine quite clearly states that it extends the regular warranty by an extra three years (four years on the powertrain) under the same terms and conditions as the original warranty, to a maximum of 160,000 km (100,000 miles). It cost $3,500 Cdn on a vehicle that cost $85,000 Cdn. There is an easy way for you to find out what one would cost on the vehicle you are considering, and that is just to speak to any salesman at any Mercedes dealership. The only reason I bought it is that even though modern Mercedes are pretty reliable, you only need one serious engine or transmission problem outside warranty and you face costs that may be four or five times what the warranty cost. Seems to me that adding 4% to the original price is worth it for the peace of mind.

I do agree with sosh about third party warranties. Over the years a number of companies that have been recommended by various posters on forums and by sundry dealership personnel have fallen by the wayside, leaving the warranty holder with a worthless piece of paper. On top of that, third-party warranty companies are notorious for nickel and diming you to death with conditions and exclusions that are shown in five-point type embedded in para 3 (a) (ii) on the back of the contract.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by roadrutz
asianplow: If the vehicle is still under warranty, you are still eligible to buy a Mercedes extended warranty. I have one on my ML550. I'm not sure why sosh says it's not really a warranty or what he means by that, but mine quite clearly states that it extends the regular warranty by an extra three years (four years on the powertrain) under the same terms and conditions as the original warranty, to a maximum of 160,000 km (100,000 miles). It cost $3,500 Cdn on a vehicle that cost $85,000 Cdn. There is an easy way for you to find out what one would cost on the vehicle you are considering, and that is just to speak to any salesman at any Mercedes dealership. The only reason I bought it is that even though modern Mercedes are pretty reliable, you only need one serious engine or transmission problem outside warranty and you face costs that may be four or five times what the warranty cost. Seems to me that adding 4% to the original price is worth it for the peace of mind.

I do agree with sosh about third party warranties. Over the years a number of companies that have been recommended by various posters on forums and by sundry dealership personnel have fallen by the wayside, leaving the warranty holder with a worthless piece of paper. On top of that, third-party warranty companies are notorious for nickel and diming you to death with conditions and exclusions that are shown in five-point type embedded in para 3 (a) (ii) on the back of the contract.
I agree with this post although if this vehicle wasnt serviced by MB they maybe decline extended warranty on the basis that they have no prior history and this creates too big of risk for them. The only way to find out for sure is to have a dealer run the VIN and see what turns up and they will make a determination at that point.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by roadrutz

My position is this, warranties come with a product at no charge. They are supplied by the manufacturer to take care of any problems with a defect or workmanship issues. Anything beyond a warranty that the consumer must pay for is considered an insurance policy or service policy wether or not they have the same terms of the Mfg's original warranty or not. Some of these policies are managed and issued by the manufacturer while others are issued by a third party. Even some that are sold as an OEM warranty extension can in fact be administered by a third party. In MB's case I believe that they do manage and administer and issue their policy. In the auto industry in general there are both. The third party ones are for the most part fraught with issues that make it difficult to file a claim and collect. Dealers are not required to accept any but MB policies. All are profit centers for them. They are priced with their knowledge of the cost of corrective action to fulfill the terms of what was issued. MB's are not bad if in fact you as the consumer are not willing to take the risk which is minimal to do this yourself.