M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Anybody else having issues with their Bluetec?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
Anybody else having issues with their Bluetec?

We picked up our '09 ML320 Bluetec 7 months ago and have been bitterly disappointed with the number of issues that it has had thus far. I will state that none of the problems that we have faced have left the vehicle undriveable....but they are annoying and a pita since we're an hour and a half away from the nearest dealer.

It started right at delivery. The vehicle was delivered with a windshield wiper blade that needed to be replaced.

We had our first CEL come on within the first two months. Magically, it went away after 3 or 4 days. It re-appeared a week later and we took it in to the dealer. Apparently there was a known sensor issue with the Adblue and it was replaced.

Next CEL was this past week...3rd time in 7 months. Apparently this time the Adblue pump froze up and needs to be replaced. There is also a coolant sensor that needs to be done as well.

As well, we rolled down the rear passenger window the other day (it is crazy cold here lately....-30 degrees Celsius) and the entire seal came down with it. Luckily, it re-seated itself when the window went back up and the dealer re-siliconed it.

We have also been having issues with the driver's side window being very slow when attempting to roll it up. In fact, it wouldn't even come up when the wife stopped at Tim Horton's the other day. They said they fixed it, but it still winds up very slowly.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced any of these issues?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Hello..........

l have a 2010 ML350.............Within a week, l had to replace the rear wiper as it was not cleaning the glass very well....l've had a few interesting noises when turning.....sounds like the power steering...l would have considered a bluetec, but didn't want the hassles of run-flats....Over-all, a wonderful vehicle......
Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 PM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
I just read a similar thread on Bimmerfest. Apparently there are several X5 35d owners that are also having CEL issues. Since the Adblue tech is being shared by MB, BMW and GM....it is troubling to learn that there may be something more fundamentally flawed with this technology.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM

2012 ML350BTC
I had Parktronic sensors randomly going off when coming to a stop (was told it was because sensors were seeing the ground as the nose dived), but it's 10k Service is the only time I've had it in for anything else. Been very happy with it. Have about 15k miles on it in 11 months.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Thought by now they would have fixed the Coolant sensor issue. With my CDI there have not really been any serious engine issues. Had the CEL come on for silly reasons twice, but was fixed and was a common thing about within the CDI community.

Adblue has been used in Europe for a while, so surprised the US have problems.

Wiper blades suck. Sorry. Have changed several of them. And my headlamp washers freeze up no matter what fluid I use. Also I notice that the 2010's have heated nozzles, washers and lines. So you have one up on me.

Parktronic... Goes off in cold weather constantly. I think the sensors freeze, or the water on them freezes and the sensor reads this as an obstructions. Get used to turning it off.

Never had an issue with the power windows. Been as cold as -25F and they still worked, even though the car would not start due to frozen diesel fuel. From that day forward, I use a diesel fuel additive. So far been as cold as -4F and started instantly. Consider using it if you leave the truck outside. And as soon as I get home, I will silicone my window tracks to make sure I have no issues.

I also do not fold in my outside mirrors, just in case snow/ice packs in them and prevent proper functions.

Otherwise been a great truck, 64K miles in 3 years and I am still happy.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Knock on wood, I'm 3 months and 4000 miles in and very pleased.

I sometimes notice a slight jerking sensation (about 10%% of the time) between gears 1 and 2. Otherwise very smooth shifts. Not sure if I should even mention this to the dealer.