M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Accessories stay on after leaving the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Accessories stay on after leaving the car

Just had a strange electrical issue...I was sitting with accessories on to try and figure out MBrace (by the way, biggest joke and will NOT be wasting $500/yr on the HORRIFIC customer support...and I don't usually complain about this stuff), and when I turned the key off (with the door slightly open, everything stayed on (DVD, lights, etc.).

I figured, ok, I'll shut the door, and that will do it...NOPE! I am watching my DVD from outside the car with the key in my hand (and no, I don't have the keyless go).

So I open the door, put the key back in, and turn back to accessories...then turn left and remove...and it all turns off.

That could be a very detrimental glich if you aren't paying attention when you get out (and assume it turns off but doesn't). Anybody else having that problem?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by miami1lt
... and when I turned the key off (with the door slightly open, everything stayed on (DVD, lights, etc.).
I think that is what did it. You turned off the ignition while the door was open. The accessories would stay ON for a while and then turn off. The system thinks that you need those accessories ON because you had the door open.

Doesn't sound like a glitch to me.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the response...so do you know how long it will stay on? In my C63, when I have the door open and to that, as soon as I turn the key off, the pop-up drops and everything powers off...I would think the ML should have the same feature...if you take the key out and remove completely, the car shouldn't think you want to have accessories on.

Now, had I just turned it to the far left position, but left the key in...I think that will keep them on, but once the key leaves the ignition switch, that should be game over for power...I would have thought.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:08 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Sorry, don't know. Might want to check your manual
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I believe its 10 mins for the radio/dvd and interior lighting. With no key in the ignition you can press the power button and turn the radio/dvd on and listen/watch for 10 mins then it shuts off. If I remember correctly to get it to turn back on you must put the key in the ignition and turn it to accessory, it won't turn back on by just pressing the power button again.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I believe its 10 mins for the radio/dvd and interior lighting. With no key in the ignition you can press the power button and turn the radio/dvd on and listen/watch for 10 mins then it shuts off. If I remember correctly to get it to turn back on you must put the key in the ignition and turn it to accessory, it won't turn back on by just pressing the power button again.
Yes, you are correct...but to do that, the door has to be closed.

I talked to MB Service on Friday, and they said what I experienced definitely should not have happened. They said that the smart key can be in the off position or removed from the ignition, and that accessories will still be on for 10 minutes...however, once a door is open (or if already open), everything should power down.

That is why when I got back in the car, put the key in, turned it to accessories, and then turned off and removed again, everything shut down...that is what should have happened the first time.

Fortunately, they said that without the smart key in the ignition and on, the car cannot operate, but they weren't confident that the accessories would have turned off in 10 minutes. They told me to try and duplicate and see if it stays on longer than 10 minutes...but at this point, they don't have a fix for the problem.