M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Interior lights issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ML500
Interior lights issue

I have a 2006 ML500 I'm having a strange problem with the interior lights. They no longer come on when I unlock the car/ open the doors at night, and most (but not all) of the dashboard lights don't come on either. I don't think it's a blown fuse or anything since I can get the dash lights to come on sometimes by changing the headlight setting, but when I put the setting back to "Auto" the lights are off the next time I start the car. The interior lights themselves work fine when activated manually. This problem coincided with the COMMAND screen refusing to switch to night mode when it gets dark outside when set to the Automatic setting. I can set it to night mode manually so I'm thinking a faulty light sensor might be part the problem? At first I thought I might have accidentally changed a setting somewhere but I've been through the manual and every screen of the on board computer and I can't find anything that addresses the problem. I assume this is going to necessitate a dealer visit but I figured I'd try this out here in case someone knows of some kind of fix or reset I could try first.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 PM

ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by frizz2112
I have a 2006 ML500 I'm having a strange problem with the interior lights. They no longer come on when I unlock the car/ open the doors at night, and most (but not all) of the dashboard lights don't come on either. I don't think it's a blown fuse or anything since I can get the dash lights to come on sometimes by changing the headlight setting, but when I put the setting back to "Auto" the lights are off the next time I start the car. The interior lights themselves work fine when activated manually. This problem coincided with the COMMAND screen refusing to switch to night mode when it gets dark outside when set to the Automatic setting. I can set it to night mode manually so I'm thinking a faulty light sensor might be part the problem? At first I thought I might have accidentally changed a setting somewhere but I've been through the manual and every screen of the on board computer and I can't find anything that addresses the problem. I assume this is going to necessitate a dealer visit but I figured I'd try this out here in case someone knows of some kind of fix or reset I could try first.

Thanks!
Perhaps you hit the deactivation switch on the overhead....check page 142 in your manual
Old 03-05-2010, 02:01 PM

2006 ML500
Yeah, tried that one; no luck. This is a weird one...
Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
I know this is an old thread, but i have the exact same problem.

lost auto headlights (works via switch)
lost interior lights on door open (works via the buttons)
lost rain sensor

All at the same time