M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Alabama Factory Tour Visit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Alabama Factory Tour Visit

Had a chance to tour the Vance Factory and Museum. Very impressed with the layout and automated process. You know you have a quality emphasis when there is even a laser scanning machine that checks the thickness and application of the silicone adhesive that bonds the front and rear glass!! The entire plant was spotless, no dirt, fluid smears, loose tools or anything!!

The factory has lots of robotic arms that weld, lift etc. but a lot of the stuff is done by what seemed to be very happy people. Watched a ML engine/tranny being installed (That section is called "Marrige".). Lifts in from the bottom, employees thread in a few bolts and the robots take over. Takes less than 2 minutes, then the next one rolls in!

Must say if anyone is in the area, it is well worth the tour.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
Glad you came through, I was on the assembly line at the time so you may have seen me and didnt even know it lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
See http://www.mbusi.com

This is on my "to do" list for sure.

Have seen the X5/Z4 BMW line in Spartanburg and the S-class line in Sindelfingen and the V-gasoline engine line in Unterturkheim.

I'm still disappointed Mercedes didn't put its USA plant in Omaha, as if they did it would have been partially on some of my inherited farm land!

Last edited by lkchris; 03-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
Glad you came through, I was on the assembly line at the time so you may have seen me and didnt even know it lol.
I figured as much. The tour guide lady was moving us through, and the visit was sort of impromptu. I was with the 12:45 pm tour group. Was hoping to see the dyno, brake and rattle testing just before the hurricane rain shower test, but we couldn't wait. Is there anything you guys don't think of??

BTW, I would humbly suggest an area inside your "Foreign Trade Zone" where pictures could be taken by guests?? Say of a chassis without the motor floating by overhead after being "electro dipped" primed??
I did however get a lot of nice pics at the museum section!

Kent, the German factory line is now a must do for me...
Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
I figured as much. The tour guide lady was moving us through, and the visit was sort of impromptu. I was with the 12:45 pm tour group. Was hoping to see the dyno, brake and rattle testing just before the hurricane rain shower test, but we couldn't wait. Is there anything you guys don't think of??

BTW, I would humbly suggest an area inside your "Foreign Trade Zone" where pictures could be taken by guests?? Say of a chassis without the motor floating by overhead after being "electro dipped" primed??
I did however get a lot of nice pics at the museum section!

Kent, the German factory line is now a must do for me...
Add the G-Class assembly at MagnaSteyr in Graz, Austria to your list. No robots. Just lots of "Puchians" assembling it by hand. See here, for a few shots:

http://www.pbase.com/flydutch/gclass_assemby

Last edited by DUTCH; 03-13-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor
Nope, no pictures in the plant. Employees are actually not allowed to have cell phones that have cameras. not many people out there know that the cars are dynoed right after assembly, they are flogged pretty good on that one pull they all do. I believe in the idea behind it, if it comes apart it needs to happen now and not after its shipped. Did you know Woodstock AL is like 15 miles down the road from the plant lol.