M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 / 20" Rims Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2010 ML350
ML350 / 20" Rims Question

My wife and I bought an ML350 tonight from the dealership with the appearance package. The package includes 20" 5 spoke rims. We made a deal with the manager that we could replace those rims with any of the rims listed on the Mercedes website under the ML350 (see below, click on exterior appearance once the page comes up.).

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/byoA...2&vc=M&yr=2010

Questions for the group, as I am far from a rims expert by any means:

Function
=======
1) We actually take our current SUV up to Tahoe a lot. We plan on taking the ML instead now. Are all 4 of these rims capable of taking the added abuse of a long trip with a heavy load (4 passengers, w/gear)?
2) We will take this car off road. No rally races through the Sahara, but definitely off paved roads, through construction sites and bumpy terrain. Again, same question, but probably more abuse in this question - will these other 4 rims survive?

Aesthetics
=======
3) In your honest opinion, which rims do you think look the best?
4) Do any of you have any pictures of these rims on any vehicles, ML preferable.

Thanks in advance,
N
Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
I have 21-inch AMG wheels for summer use and 20-inch OZ Canyons for winter.

The wheels will be fine for trips, regardless of the load (unless perhaps you are considering pulling a 7,000 lb trailer). Realize that 20-inch wheels give a slightly rougher ride than 17s or 18s as there is less tire height to absorb road shocks. And you need to consider snow; do you need snow tires now when you go to Tahoe? 20-inch all-seasons are less snow friendly than, say, 18-inch A/S tires.

Regarding construction sites and off-road use: The wheels will probably "survive" ok, but you risk damaging them, which can be an expensive exercise. I guess that is your decision, but I think if I were driving under those conditions I would be slower and more careful than if I had smaller, cheaper wheels and tires.

Regarding which ones I like: the two-tone wheels all look very truck-like, which I would tend to associate more with Fords and Chevys and Toyotas, but I'm sure others will disagree with me. I like the plain five-spoke wheels -- classier.