M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML 350 BlueTEC-Fuel Additive Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML 350 BlueTEC
ML 350 BlueTEC-Fuel Additive Question

I am about to buy a ML350 BlueTEC, and have a question about adding an anti-gelling agent to the fuel tank in the winter. On my VW diesel I always add Cetane boost in the winter to prevent the fuel from gelling. I have asked at the MB dealership, and was told that MB recommends you NOT add anything.

I called MB USA, who said they would get back to me, but have not.

I understand about about the Ad Blue - but that is post ignition cleaning and does not help with cold weather starts and the fuel line.

Do BlueTEC owners routinely add to the fuel in the cold months?

Thank you.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by lark
I am about to buy a ML350 BlueTEC, and have a question about adding an anti-gelling agent to the fuel tank in the winter. On my VW diesel I always add Cetane boost in the winter to prevent the fuel from gelling. I have asked at the MB dealership, and was told that MB recommends you NOT add anything.

I called MB USA, who said they would get back to me, but have not.

I understand about about the Ad Blue - but that is post ignition cleaning and does not help with cold weather starts and the fuel line.

Do BlueTEC owners routinely add to the fuel in the cold months?

Thank you.
I live in a serious winter climate and we have Winter diesel at our pumps from early fall to late spring. This has a different blend to prevent gelling.It has the side effect of a bit lower mileage but saves any grief. You can make a few phone calls to your local distributors and find out when and if they ship the winter blend and plan accordingly.If in fact Winter blend diesel is not available in your area then you will need to add something to prevent gelling. "Fringe'' climate areas that sometimes get a serious cold snap in winter but normally have moderate climates are the worst areas since oil companies dont normally deem it needed in these parts of the country and many folks get caught with thickened fuel in their lines until it warms up.There are many excellent antigelling additives on the market that cause no harm when used as directed and if you Dont have winter diesel you dont have any choice, its either use an additive in cold weather, or buy a gas engine because regular summer diesel will turn to Jello in the cold...no way around it. I have put on over a million miles on various diesels and used additives when needed and had No issues at all. And yes, ad-blue has nothing to do with making the engine run...only to make the exhaust burn cleaner.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

2010 ML 350 BlueTEC
Thanks. I will check on the Winter diesel. I never checked before because I just added the Cetane Plus in the VW.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM

I use the diesel kleen stuff, no problems thus far
Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

2010 ML 350 BlueTEC
I checked with my gas station, and they do switch to winter diesel. The 350 owners manual says the line is heated - or something like that - so no additive is necessary. Hmm, now I just don't know. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add it in the winter, right?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
One winter my CDI was parked outside for 3 days at -30F (-34C) and the fuel gelled up and it wouldn't start. I had to use a hair dryer on the fuel filter for about 30 minutes, then it fired right up. If the newer ones have heated lines that would be a great improvement. For me, I use Power Service Diesel additives year round, and have never since had an issue.

Now on a separate note, I have heard of Bluetec owners having their Adblue freeze up fooling the vehicle to believe the Adblue tank is empty, and the ECU restricts the vehicle from starting. Not sure if there is a fix for that yet.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM

2010 ML 350 BlueTEC
I used the same additive in my VW diesel - which I just sold to the dealer. I also gave them all of the additive, thinking it was not needed and because I thought it would be difficult to dispose of. Oh well, I will go and buy some more.

I had not heard that about the Adblue freezing.