M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Whispbar racks, anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML550 (W164)
Whispbar racks, anyone?

Has anybody tried a Whispbar roof rack? I was looking at the videos on Youtube showing the difference in noise between it and the other brands. There are also videos on the Whispbar website. It was particularly interesting to hear their wind-tunnel test showing that square bars were quieter than the round bars which were in turn quieter than the "aero" (oval) bars. Counter-intuitive! Of course the Whispbars were even quieter.

The only thing that puts me off slightly is the mounting method for the lowest profile option, which is why I'm asking if anyone has tried them...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
A thousand bucks for two bars and the fitting kits. They had better be quiet!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM

2010 ML550 (W164)

Originally Posted by roadrutz
A thousand bucks for two bars and the fitting kits. They had better be quiet!
Where'd you see that? When I was on the Proracks website it was about $350-400 USD for the Rail Mount. When I priced out the Thule RapidMounts they were a little cheaper (if you shop around), but the noise difference on that video is convincing me to get the Prorack Whispbars. The mounting system just doesn't look as substantial though.

Last edited by bruntoj; 04-16-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Corrected "Flush-Mount" to be Rail-Mount
Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 AM

2010 ML550 (W164)
Some corrections

Just to clarify:

The lowest profile mounting system is the Rail Mount.
Make sure you choose the correct country on the Whispbar site. Looks like Rackattack and Proracks are really the same vendors operating in different countries.

I think I'll bite the bullet on the Rail Mount version tomorrow. I'll report back with pictures and impressions.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by bruntoj
Where'd you see that? When I was on the Proracks website it was about $350-400 USD for the Rail Mount. When I priced out the Thule RapidMounts they were a little cheaper (if you shop around), but the noise difference on that video is convincing me to get the Prorack Whispbars. The mounting system just doesn't look as substantial though.
I got the prices from their website. But the pricing is very confusing as they don't say whether the price is for one bar or a pair, so I emailed the Canadian distributor asking for clarification. Haven't heard back yet.

I agree that the video is very impressive.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 PM

'09 ML550
OK, I heard back. The entire roof rack with K328 fitting kits is $499. The guy recommends the higer fittings (K328) if you have a sunroof.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 PM

2010 ML550 (W164)
Originally Posted by roadrutz
OK, I heard back. The entire roof rack with K328 fitting kits is $499. The guy recommends the higer fittings (K328) if you have a sunroof.
I ordered the lower profile one because I really like the idea of no windnoise around the mountings. I rarely tilt the sunroof anyway, but I'm curious to see what clearance there is. Came to less than $350USD no tax and free UPS. I'll report back with photos next week.

Trending Topics

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM

2010 ML550 (W164)
Smile Pictures

Mounted the Whispbar rack yesterday, took some photos and a test drive.

Didn't go on the freeway so only got to 55pmh, but couldn't notice any whistling. Opened the sunroof completely and it still seemed quiet. Not sure if its as quiet as before (no racks) because I started to question my objectivity. That gives you some indication of how quiet I found them.

I mounted the front bar just aft of the sunroof so that if I tilt it by accident it won't hit the rack/bar. I might try mounting it all the way forward sometime, which would also clear the sunroof movement, but seems like the potential for more wind noise.

Overall I'm VERY VERY happy and impressed. No more sliding the front rack back (to reduce noise) when not in use!
Attached Thumbnails Whispbar racks, anyone?-whispbar_front.jpg   Whispbar racks, anyone?-whispbar_back.jpg   Whispbar racks, anyone?-whispbar_closeup.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by bruntoj
Mounted the Whispbar rack yesterday, took some photos and a test drive.

Didn't go on the freeway so only got to 55pmh, but couldn't notice any whistling. Opened the sunroof completely and it still seemed quiet. Not sure if its as quiet as before (no racks) because I started to question my objectivity. That gives you some indication of how quiet I found them.

I mounted the front bar just aft of the sunroof so that if I tilt it by accident it won't hit the rack/bar. I might try mounting it all the way forward sometime, which would also clear the sunroof movement, but seems like the potential for more wind noise.

Overall I'm VERY VERY happy and impressed. No more sliding the front rack back (to reduce noise) when not in use!
Look good!

I have them on order with the higher brackets. (The Canadian importer was back ordered on the S17 bars. Should get them tomorrow or early next week.) I'll test and post pics when I get and install them. I'm thinking that with the higher brackets they won't look as good but might be a little more practical. I don't really plan to leave them on all the time though. If I do I'll probably get those same brackets as you.

Thanks for first mentioning these guys. I was not looking forward to a noisy roof rack.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM

ml350
Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know about this brand and impressed by the sound difference in the videos. Even when you think the airflow may not be as forceful on top of the car - because I've never heard anything that noisy (the tunnel demo could be putting more wind pressure onto the bars than the airflow over the roof at driving speed) it is that more impressive how quiet the whispbars are. It is interesting to see supposedly more expensive and aerodynamic ones perform worse

Back when I lived in Europe, with my then compact car, I had no noise complaints about square Thule bars, even on the autobahn. Sure there was some noise, but it was never excessive. Mine always had the caps on, which are omitted in the video and may change the sound level.

On our minivan the bars are flat and curved lengthwise (bit higher in the middle). They're thinner than any other bars I've seen and we have not had any noise complaints.

So, this teardrop design probably amounts to the strength of the square / rectangular bars and the quietness of flat bars.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by icerabbit
Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know about this brand and impressed by the sound difference in the videos. Even when you think the airflow may not be as forceful on top of the car - because I've never heard anything that noisy (the tunnel demo could be putting more wind pressure onto the bars than the airflow over the roof at driving speed) it is that more impressive how quiet the whispbars are. It is interesting to see supposedly more expensive and aerodynamic ones perform worse

Back when I lived in Europe, with my then compact car, I had no noise complaints about square Thule bars, even on the autobahn. Sure there was some noise, but it was never excessive. Mine always had the caps on, which are omitted in the video and may change the sound level.

On our minivan the bars are flat and curved lengthwise (bit higher in the middle). They're thinner than any other bars I've seen and we have not had any noise complaints.

So, this teardrop design probably amounts to the strength of the square / rectangular bars and the quietness of flat bars.
I did end up buying a set. They are very impressive -- with the sunroof open, all you can hear is the normal noise of the sunroof. With the sunroof closed you cannot detect any sound at all from the roof rack. None.