M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Searching for ML350 Airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
Searching for ML350 Airmatic

First time poster who would appreciate guidance/advice. I have done a fair amount of homework first but still have questions.

1. I am looking for a used, midsize luxury SUV (focused on 2007 or 2008 for price reasons) that can definitely go offroad from time to time. From what I read the ML 350 4WD/Airmatic can do that. Do others agree that this vehicle can withstand a moderate amount of offroading? I have read road test information but it is sketchy on this point. What would be the competition? Don't see much in this category with offroad capability.

2. How do I find used 350s equipped with airmatic? I live in LA, have checked with some dealers, have tried searches with the normal used care websites and the MB dealer website. Don't find but 1-2 nationally. Are there that few out there?

3. Have read on this board about the transmission and suspension reliability problems. Voices seem mixed between staying away/regret buying to many satisfied customers. My thought is that, by buying a vehicle with 40k+/- already on it, you can see its history. If problems, steer clear. if problem free, then make sure it still has some time left under factory warranty and, when it expires, buy the extended coverage.

Thanks for any feedback. big decision for me.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM

R500
Yes I have also been looking for Airmatic. For me it is a different reason, i often carry freight in excess of 1000lbs for 400+ miles and on our R500 the air suspension makes a huge difference.

I think you might want to look at 500's. I find the R500's all have it. Perhaps all ML500's have it also?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 AM

2010 ML550 (W164)
Originally Posted by eaadams
Perhaps all ML500's have it also?
Nope, airmatic is NOT standard on US-spec ML550s. Varies slightly by country - I've heard that Canadian ML550's get it standard. You pay for it regardless.

Youtube has quite a few videos of guys off-roading (rough-roading?) their ML's.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM

2006 W164 ML350
I was able to find a used car with the two options I think are really important, air suspension, and the off road pro package.

The ride is much better with the air suspension, but I added 20 inch wheels and it is only just acceptable, it's now a bit choppy.

If I had to buy another ML I would have to have the air suspension.

The off road pro package adds a low range gear and centre and rear differential locks. It's a good package, but it does not improve the off road capabilities in extreme conditions such as snow or extreme mud. I think the tires are a big factor in grip in these conditions, and I will need to keep a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Good luck getting a car with the options you want, it's worth the wait.

Keep in mind that the car will be a superceded shape in a year or two