M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 ESP, DSP, Cruise Inop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML350 4Matic
ML350 ESP, DSP, Cruise Inop

Ok, here is a really interesting one for all.

I have a 2008 ML350 with only 11,542 miles on it, and as I was pulling into my garage this evening, the red battery symbol on the dash came on, as well as the brake lite and the exclamation point inside a triangle. As I sat there wondering what the heck was going on, the message "ESP Inop, See Operators Manual" also flashed on the screen. What the heck? I parked, shut the car down then scrolled through the dash menu using the steering wheel controls. That's when I noticed that on one of the screens it said that I had four messages. I scrolled through each which said: 1) The ESP was Inop. 2) The DSP was Inop. 3) The Cruise Control was Inop and 4th message was the battery symbol again. All the while the brake light and the exclamatory triangle is on.

When I got out of the car, I could here a slight buzzing noise coming from under the hood. I also noticed that as I stood there concentrating on this sound, that the headlights never turned off. I stood there listening to this barely audible high pitch sound (almost like the wine of a fuel pump) while waiting for the lights to go out, but they never did.

Anyhow, I popped the hood and sure enough, I could hear this high pitch sound coming from the back of the engine compartment (near the firewall) under the plastic engine cover. My attention then turned back to the still shining headlights, so I closed the hood got back in the car and tried to turn off the lights with the switch. No luck. The lights will not extinguish regardless of the switches position. I just went back down stairs to check to see if it has miraculously fixed itself and the lights are STILL on, as well as the puzzling high pitched noise. All this started at 9:00 PM this evening and it is now 11:09 PM! I put the key in, started the car and the messages still exist. DOH!

Other than me being totally hosed, does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas? Same experience?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 AM

2008 ML350 4Matic
UPDATE!

I just made another trip to the garage to see what was going on with my car and I have this to report.

It seams that the strange high pitch noise has ceased and the headlights/tail lights are not nearly and luminous for obvious reasons. Looks like the battery is on it's final leg and should be completely dead within the next hour. It is now 11:50 PM.

PLEASE don't let this be one of those Friday built cars!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM

2008 ML350 4Matic
All Done!

For all those interested, and I know you're out there from the HUGE number of responses and comments I got on this post, the dealership figured out what the problem was. According to my friendly service advisor, the source of the problem was apparently a faulty battery. They replaced it under warranty and all appears to be better. Granted I've only driven the car about 10 miles since picking it up last weekend, but like I said it seems to have taken care of the problem.

And I would like to point out an issue with my initial posting. Instead of the "ESP" being inop, it should have read the "ESR" was inop. That's probably why nobody posted anything thoughts of ideas..........it was simply to confusing to figure out.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Just wait till you see the WHITE battery symbol come up on the display. Then you will really be confused!!
Glad the fix was an easy one. Glad you have warranty coverage.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 AM

2008 ML350 4Matic
Fixed

Ditto on all of your points my friend.