M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

06 ML500 Resetting Computer - Climate Control Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML500
06 ML500 Resetting Computer - Climate Control Issue

I have an 06 ML500, just picked it up with 73K on it. I didn't know this was an issue until after I purchased it and drove it off the lot.

I noticed that the climate controls on both driver and pass side LED indicators are stuck, the drivers side is stuck at the lowest setting and the pass side is stuck at highest setting. The knob rotates freely, just the LED won't move. Thus, when "AUTO" is on (or off in manual mode), the drivers side is blowing cold air and the pass side is blowing hot air (rear seat also blowing hot air if turned on). When I turn knobs to adjust, the LED just stays where its at and no manipulation moves it to adjust temp to a different setting.

When I switch to manual mode, the fan control works properly but temps remain the same. Is it normal for all 3 vents to be on when switching to manual mode? I have to shut off defrost and feet keeping dash fan the only one selected. Is this normal?

Its out of warranty, so I'm looking for other options than taking it to a dealer. I've read a few posts where they said the "computer was reset" and this fixed the problem...HOW do you reset the computer? Is it a DIY option?

Also, others mentioned that a firmware upgrade fixed this problem, can I do a DIY firmware upgrade?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by bobmc312; 07-08-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 AM

06 ML500
Originally Posted by bobmc312
I have an 06 ML500, just picked it up with 73K on it. I didn't know this was an issue until after I purchased it and drove it off the lot.

I noticed that the climate controls on both driver and pass side LED indicators are stuck, the drivers side is stuck at the lowest setting and the pass side is stuck at highest setting. The knob rotates freely, just the LED won't move. Thus, when "AUTO" is on (or off in manual mode), the drivers side is blowing cold air and the pass side is blowing hot air (rear seat also blowing hot air if turned on). When I turn knobs to adjust, the LED just stays where its at and no manipulation moves it to adjust temp to a different setting.

When I switch to manual mode, the fan control works properly but temps remain the same. Is it normal for all 3 vents to be on when switching to manual mode? I have to shut off defrost and feet keeping dash fan the only one selected. Is this normal?

Its out of warranty, so I'm looking for other options than taking it to a dealer. I've read a few posts where they said the "computer was reset" and this fixed the problem...HOW do you reset the computer? Is it a DIY option?

Also, others mentioned that a firmware upgrade fixed this problem, can I do a DIY firmware upgrade?

Thanks for any help
UPDATE:

So, after playing with the climate control knobs, I got the temp to change on both the drivers and passenger sides by slightly pulling on the knob as I turn it. At best its still tricky but at least its working now.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 PM

mercedes
There is an update available in the climate control system for this. If you take it into the dealer and explain what it is doing they should be able to take car of this.