M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Aftermarket Third Row

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Accord
Aftermarket Third Row

Hi,
I can get a very good deal on an ML right now. It is much more attractive than the R. Could I possibly purchase a third row aftermarket and have it installed (just two seats)? I will rarely use it but it would still be a necessity for us. I know it will be very small, but I have seen the previous generation with it so I was just wondering.

The GL is a bit too pricey for us at the moment. I've also seen the X5 with it so I'm assuming its possible.

Thanks for responses. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML550
the amount it would cost to add seats and make them safe (attaching them to the frame and having seatbelts)

might as well just get the GL
Old 12-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
Talked with a custom auto restoration upholsterer concerning adding a third seat to a (w164) ml350. The guy is used to working on high end equipment (Packard, Dusenberg, Rolls etc.)

He stated that he did something close to what you are asking for, but the customer wanted a bench seat in matching leather, head rests and three point seat belts.

The cost was just around $10,000, but it looked like is was made by MB and fit perfectly. He needed the vehicle off and on for about a week at a time over a period of three months to match hides and fit components. He works on a time + materials basis so the cost for your project will be different. And no, he doesn't do work on the side or lower quality than he does for his "Concours" customers to meet an artificial budget.

If this is something you are seriously interested in pursuing, I can forward his business information. He does not want to be bothered if you are just fishing for information.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Have you given any thought to safety and what would happen in the event of a crash? I say this because not even MB has done such studies since third row seating does not exist on the ML. Also there will be no airbags back there nor heating etc. Also how would your passengers access the rear seats? You would have to change the rear seat to retract ? Just think about this and you will see that you are looking at the wrong vehicle. You should look at the GL for a SUV and the R for a crossover.