M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Importing 2010 ML-550 to Canada - analog speedometer conversion from miles/hr to kms

Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by arok
I ended up spending $150 with a local guy in Toronto...

He re-programmed my 2010 ML350 from US spec to Canadian (metric) including analog speedometer change to km/h, temperature from F to C, etc...

Really simple, once you find right person to talk to...

As far as I know, in order to import into Canada, you just need to change electronic speedometer to km/h which you can do by yourself.

Andrew
I don't understand this, did he change your instrument cluster to another one ?

I can make the change to kmh or mph with out any one it's in your settings, if you change to mph the speedometer show mph in a amberish light or it will show kmh, the entire cluster is not changed, so I am a bit confused on what you actually had done ? as for the other settings you had changed, you might need a SDS Computer to have this performed, it's probably what your buddy was using.

SDS Computer = Star Diagnostic Systems Computer
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' SLK 55 AMG, 08' CLS63AMG, 2010 ML350 BlueTec, Nissan Armada
According to the Mercedes web-site FAQ's, the cluster change and other Canadian modifications can only be done at an authorized Canadian dealership. Can you advise the source of your information?

I'm in search of the modification requirements for a 2010 ML350 Bluetec (and any hard estimates anyone may have received in writing).

Note that I am only looking into hetting the modifications done for purposes of warranty transfer as the vehicle has factory warranty until may of 2014, so it might be worth the investment. If not, I might buy it anyway and take my warranty chances.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by bliss1
I hear you brother.
Just found out that the required cluster change and Canadian coding can be performed at a MB USA dealer for under $900.00.They will need to order the part from MB Canada. That just leaves the inspection fee($500 to $750) that the MB Canada can ding you for to activate the warranty. This is for a 2011 Ml550, so YMMV.
Cheers
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM

ML350
ML 350

Andrew, can you please give me his number i just baught a 2009 ML350

Originally Posted by arok
I ended up spending $150 with a local guy in Toronto...

He re-programmed my 2010 ML350 from US spec to Canadian (metric) including analog speedometer change to km/h, temperature from F to C, etc...

Really simple, once you find right person to talk to...

As far as I know, in order to import into Canada, you just need to change electronic speedometer to km/h which you can do by yourself.

Andrew
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM

ML350
ML 350 2009

Can anyone please please tell me how i can change the speedometre from Miles to km, who to call, the number for that please. thank you and your help is appreciated it
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 AM

GLK
Do u have the number to the guy that changed your miles to km? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM

ML550
I could use the contact info as well, I had the speedo re-programed at a US dealer, but I could use someone to change the temp from F to C.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Sorry... But I have not been around this forum for a while....
I will look for his contact information this weekend....

Andrew
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM

I had my 2010 ML re-coded to metric system at Albert's Auto Centre in Mississauga: http://albertsautocentre.aaro.ca/.

Please, call Abram at 905-855-8586.

I have just spoken with him, and he will happy to assist you as well...

Andrew
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
2011 Bluetec

Hi,

Want to purchase and import a 2011 ml350 bluetec with warranty until 2014 from the U.S. Has anyone gotten the Canadian warranty? Did you have to go through a MB dealership to make the changes or just a canadian auto repair shop? Is anyone also having any issue with the run flats? What about Adblue?
Are there any additional charges that we should be aware of? Thx!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM

ML550
I had the US MB dealer reprogram the speed from miles to KM, the Canadian dealer only wanted to do it if they changed the cluster. $200 in the US to reprogram versus $2000 for the cluster in Canada.

To activate the warranty in Canada MB charges $500. Mine was close to being done so I just went with a third party till 2017.
With no option for an extended warranty for US imported vehicles.

The import inspection can be done by Canadian Tire.

good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the vehicle.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I was planning to get the MB Canadian Warranty but it seems like too much hassle, I was on the phone with the management of MB Can and they told me all requirements to be eligible but to me personally, it was not worth it.

Originally Posted by keman58
Hi,

Want to purchase and import a 2011 ml350 bluetec with warranty until 2014 from the U.S. Has anyone gotten the Canadian warranty? Did you have to go through a MB dealership to make the changes or just a canadian auto repair shop? Is anyone also having any issue with the run flats? What about Adblue?
Are there any additional charges that we should be aware of? Thx!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Thanks... can you please tell us what specifically MB Canada asked for in order for us to have the warranty here? If our instruments are indicating KMh and we have the DRLs, what else do they want?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM

07' SLK 55 AMG, 08' CLS63AMG, 2010 ML350 BlueTec, Nissan Armada
Did MB Canada specifically confirm they would honor the warranty with just the US reprogramming? I recently brought in a newer ML350 for my wife and had to pay local dealer circa $2K plus for new gauge console (+$500 warranty transfer fee + $350 for recall clearance letter).

Depending on the age of the vehicle and remianing warranry should determine if the cost is worth it for the service work and warranty tranfer. Note that regardless, NO extended warrantly will ever be available in Canada. This is my third MB import - the first two iI took the chance with no warranty and it was the right decision. If not worried about the warranty, just make sure daytime running lights are set to on full time (menu setting), and a quick trip to Canadian Tire for RIV certification and safety sticker and you're done.

MB Canada continues to gauge the Canadian consumer to protect the excessive profitability of the dealers. Its a disgrace, and insulting to car enthusiasts. There are after market warranty providers as well, but I have not personally had any experience with these.

No issues to date with Bluetec or AdBlue etc.

Happy motoring!

Originally Posted by knockout18
I had the US MB dealer reprogram the speed from miles to KM, the Canadian dealer only wanted to do it if they changed the cluster. $200 in the US to reprogram versus $2000 for the cluster in Canada.

To activate the warranty in Canada MB charges $500. Mine was close to being done so I just went with a third party till 2017.
With no option for an extended warranty for US imported vehicles.

The import inspection can be done by Canadian Tire.

good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the vehicle.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Thanks for your responses...
If the cluster is changed in the U.S., will MB Can accept this and provide warranty?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
2012 ML350BTC

We purchased a used 2012 ML350BTC with little mileage. We're in the process of finding a transport company to ship the vehicle to the border... Does anyone have any experience in using a shipping company in the U.S.? Do you have any names that you could provide? I spoke to RIV on Friday and they said the only modifications required were the DRL's and electronic immobilizer? Isn't that standard with this vehicle? I also sent in the MVI to their recall center to confirm that's okay instead of a recall letter...Other than the Bill of sale & title, is there anything else that U.S. and CBSA requires? Who provides / when do we get the V1 Form? Sorry... this is the first time we're bring a vehicle in from the U.S. Thx!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM

2010 ML Bluetec
Change of cluster -help

How to change ML cluster
I got US model ML (2010) in Canada and would like to change instrument panel to show KM
I found a European display from the diesel model there, got it now
How can i change it? Can i do it by myself, i'm quite capable to do changes, however not sure if reprogram of the onboard computer is needed

Any suggestions

Ps
i agree on comments about MB dealers in Canada (2500-3000) for conversion. You can get RIV for no cost from CT. I drove mine for one service (seat belt) in Buffalo under warranty, no other issues. Now it is time to change display.

Andy
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM

2011 ML350 Bluetec
Customs fees for importing MB to Canada

Hi,

I'm looking to import 2010 ML350 Bluetec to Canada. Can anybody tell me what are the Canada customs fees to import the car? Do I have to pay 6.5% customs in addition to HST?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by drajac
Hi,

I'm looking to import 2010 ML350 Bluetec to Canada. Can anybody tell me what are the Canada customs fees to import the car? Do I have to pay 6.5% customs in addition to HST?

Thanks!

You need to pay customs duty and GST. For example, last time I brought over a vehicle it was 11.1% to import it into Alberta. If you have a sales tax in your province, you have to add that on top of the 11.1%. That is based on a vehicle that wasn't made in NA. I'm not sure if the new ML's are made in Germany or still in the US.

R.K.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM

2011 GL350
I just brought over my GL350 to Canada, it was quite simple.

1) On the instrument cluster, in the settings menu you can change the electroninc speedo to km/h as mentioned in previous posts. (download the user manual to ensure it applies to the ML as well) Note only the digital speedo changes - all other references to units of measure are in reference to miles including MPG and Navigation.

2) On my truck I was able to activate the DRLs from the same settings menu noted in #1) above.

Both adjustments can be done by the owner, this is not a re-program requiring dealer intervention, it is a settings adjustment requiring 3-4 button presses on your stearing wheel.

With the above, the car passes the CDN Tire RIV inspection and is licensable in Canada. Check the RIV site for any specific alterations that "RIV" lists must be made the ML (there were none for the GL). If nothing specific is listed, the 2 above should suffice.

The dealer tried to snow me by suggesting that I will need a new cluster as well as a new ignition as these are required under CDN law. My GL needed "NOTHING" other than the above.

As far as duties, check the VIN plate on the driver's side inside the door. If your car is assembled in CDA or the US, the 5.1% duty does not apply. If it is assembled outside North America, the5.1% duty applies. In both cases you pay VAT taxes on the declared value (Invoice from dealer less personal exemption - $800 if you've been out of the country for 48+ hours). You can ask the vendor to send you a pic of the VIN plate to be certain.

Recall Clearance - Ask the dealer from where you have purchased the car/where the car was serviced to provide you with an internal service print out called a "Vehicle Master Inquiry" or VMI and ensure that the recall section reads that all recalls have been closed - you do not need to pay the $350 to MB USA for the recall letter.

My truck was close to being out of warranty so I did not wish to pay MB for any inspections.

Hope this helps & appologies for posting in the ML forum regaridng my experience with a GL.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM

2011 GL350
Quick Update....

Went to the same shop as arok except dealt with the guy's son, Martin. He used his OBD II tech tool (more than just a basic scanner) to reset the truck's spec from imperial to metric units. Everything is now metric in the truck including:

1) Analog speedo (needle now points to scale as km/h. The MPH light in the middle of the analog speedo turned off and now a km/h light/letters are displayed)
2) Mileage, i.e. MPG now shows up as L/100km in the digital info centre.
3) Outside temp display is displayed in Celsius.
4) Navigation uses KM not Miles as units including speech prompts

Took 15 minutes to accomplish.
Awesome!!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 PM

2013 GLK; 2012 Ml350
Originally Posted by kooby1
Quick Update....

Went to the same shop as arok except dealt with the guy's son, Martin. He used his OBD II tech tool (more than just a basic scanner) to reset the truck's spec from imperial to metric units. Everything is now metric in the truck including:

1) Analog speedo (needle now points to scale as km/h. The MPH light in the middle of the analog speedo turned off and now a km/h light/letters are displayed)

Awesome!!
Will this conversion be enough to get MB Canada to transfer the warranty?
Conversely, I wonder if this will negatively affect the MB USA warranty?
BTW, How much did this shop charge for the software tweak?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM

2011 GL350
Will this conversion be enough to get MB Canada to transfer the warranty? - The warranty transfer is a function of the inspection for which MB Canada charges (I think) $500. The propaganda that they feed us about changing the cluster has nothing to do with the warranty and is only a cash grab. - I think that you would need to explicitly confirm this with MB Canada.

I cannot see how a OBD II diagnostic tool cpu tweak from imperial to metric would affect either the Canadian or US warranty. Its the same as the dealer connecting an OBD II scanner and clearing a CEL code.

The shop charged $100 - a little much if you ask me for 15 minutes of work. That being said, the result is worth $100.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM

2011 GL350
Originally Posted by kooby1
Quick Update....

Awesome!!
I hooked up my PC to the benz and with some time and special connectors I was able to make the tweak myself.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM

2011 ML350 Bluetec
Would this change enable Canadian option to go back and forth miles to km or does it stay km forever? Kooby: what connectors/tools/software did you use and where did you get it?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 AM

2013 GLK; 2012 Ml350
Just found out the software conversion cannot be done for the 2012 and newer ML and presumably the 2013 GL.
If anybody does come across another software workaround to switch the analog display to metric, I'd be interested.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing 2010 ML-550 to Canada - analog speedometer conversion from miles/hr to kms