M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ML350 Sunroof Not Closing All The Way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ml350
2006 ML350 Sunroof Not Closing All The Way

Hey guys I searched around on the forums, but couldn't find anything about my problem. The rear portion of the sunroof is too high in the back and im afraid water is getting inside. It operates perfectly, but when I close it, it sticks up to far in the back. Is there some way that I can adjust this or reset it in order to fix my problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
I have never taken my sunroof apart, but logic would say that if the rear is too high, the sunroof is starting to open in its 'pop-up' position instead of staying fully shut. The first thing I would try would be to access the motor (in the assembly above the rear view mirror) and see if there is any obvious adjustment there.

You should be able to test my idea by tapping the open button twice in quick succession: the first time to start the roof moving rearwards (before it does that it first has to close) and the second time to stop it from moving more than a fraction. If this works to close it, then I am correct about the problem.

Sorry I can't help more.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ml350
Thanks for you input, I am going to try it when I go home today, as i use a vespa for my daily driver. Also I called the dealership and im going to take it in tomorrow to have them take a look. Its good that I called because my warranty is up next wednesday.

Do you think something like this would be covered under the certified preowned warranty?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:28 PM

'09 ML550
I don't know the terms of the CPO warranty, but I would imagine it would be covered if it is a defect or misadjustment of some sort in the sunroof motor mechanism. Just guessing, though.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Don't know of the mechanics of the ML's sunroof but an older MB I had in the 90s developed the same problem and over time had gotten worse. It turned out that the bridge (the mechanism that receives the sunroof upon closing) needed replaced. This part is also responsible for the upward movement of the roof. The part was about $400 for my old 190E. The kicker however was that it required 8 hours of labor at the dealer. Same amount of hours quoted at an indy shop, but at a lesser rate. I decided to let the dealer fix it since the indy shop told me that they very rarely changed one. It is a big job, they had to remove the entire headliner and other parts just to get to it. I remember the service advisor commented that these are the cases that a warranty comes in handy!

I would guess that the basic design is still the same on the MLs although I truly don't know.

So if you have warranty, now is the time to take it in!