M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Puddle lamp bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350
Puddle lamp bulb

Does anyone know how to access the puddle lamp bulb (the one in the side mirror)? I have upgraded the headlights and foglights to hid and replaced the city lights with leds. Now I need to complete the look. Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM

2008 ML 63
I'm trying to replace these bulbs as well. It seems like you would have to remove the mirror/interior door panel to access them. Have you replaced your license plate lights in addition to the other lights you mentioned?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 AM

2010 ML350
No, I did not replace the license plate bulbs. I may take it in to the dealer today to see if they will show me how to access the bulbs. If I am successful I will be sure to post a DIY.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 PM

2008 ML 63
Please do keep us updated, I think it would make a big difference in the appearance at night. Not sure that you want to, but I have replaced my license plate lights with LEDs. The look really is crisp, but unfortunately it throws the tail light out code. Do you recall what bulbs you used for the city lights? I'm assuming those are the parking lights?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM

2010 ML350
Ok. Went to the dealership this afternoon and they provided a print out on how to access the puddle lamp. Unfortunately, the first step in the process is the removal of the lens. Has anyone tried to remove the lens? I have visions if it popping out, hitting the ground and breaking into a million pieces. I think I'll wait until my wife goes out of town for a week and then give it a try. At least that will give me enough time to replace the lens.
Damnit! Unable to attach instructions due to size. PM me with your email address and I would be happy to send. Hope this helps and if I get up the nerve to do this I will be sure to post DIY pics.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Puddle lamp bulb-ml-mirror-trim-removal-install-2-.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by kjmurphy
Ok. Went to the dealership this afternoon and they provided a print out on how to access the puddle lamp. Unfortunately, the first step in the process is the removal of the lens. Has anyone tried to remove the lens? I have visions if it popping out, hitting the ground and breaking into a million pieces. I think I'll wait until my wife goes out of town for a week and then give it a try. At least that will give me enough time to replace the lens.
Damnit! Unable to attach instructions due to size. PM me with your email address and I would be happy to send. Hope this helps and if I get up the nerve to do this I will be sure to post DIY pics.

Kevin
Can you please send me the instructions? hawaii5@bluewin.ch Thank you
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 AM

2010 ML350
Well, just finished replacing the puddle lamps on my wife's 2010 ML. Took less than 5 minutes to complete and no tools were needed. I have to thank Claudio for assuring me that it is not necesary to disassemble the mirror in order to perform this mod. Simply tip the mirror up, slide your fingers under the bottom of the mirror and then pull the mirror (the glass and not the entire assembly) towards you. It will pop off and there is no danger of dropping the glass since there are wires connected to it. Once the mirror is removed the bulb will be right in front of you and you simply pull that out and replace with an LED bulb (I used a WLED-NW5 from superbrightleds.com) and it worked perfectly. Then simply snap the mirror back onto the base and you are done. Give it a try.

Kevin

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 PM

2008 ML 63
I'm probably just being overly cautious, but you mean towards you, as in towards the rear of the vehicle? I tried earlier today with some force, but I was afraid of breaking it. Do you have any idea if the mirror attachment might be different on a 2008? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 PM

2010 ML350
Aaron,
Yes, towards the rear of the vehicle.
Kevin