M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Just bought 2006 at auction and found out transfer case is bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Unhappy Just bought 2006 at auction and found out transfer case is bad

I bought a 2006 ML350 at auction that was a "green light" car (ie: represented as having no significant problems). Although higher in milage (96k) it was pristine inside, the motor sounded good, carfax report was good and the price was decent so I bought it. While driving the car home on the highway, I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel that didn't seem right. Took it right to my mechanic who told me (2 days later) that it needs a new transfer case. I'm trying to get the seller to work with me on this, since the car was not supposed to have any big issues going on. Not sure what, if anything, he'll do. I'm wondering if its worth it to spend the extra cash to repair this or just ask him to accept a return. After reading loads of stuff on the internet about the ML's, it seems that this is not an unusual item to fail on the MLs. Assuming that the vehicle has been well maintained until now, what other extremely expensive repairs can I expect in the next 30k miles/3 years? Is there anything else that commonly wears out after 100k on these vehicles?
(I don't know a lot about cars, so bear with me if I sound clueless).

Last edited by Sunduri; 03-15-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: specified which ML I got
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Guess thats why it was sold at auction rather than a normal type sale. However I would confirm that it is the transfer case that is bad. Could be a bunch of minor stuff that could cause this. I would take it to a dealer to have it diagnosed, not an indy like you did. Transfer case failures are not common in the ML. They are not unheard of but not common. Many 200K plus ML's running around with the original untouched transfer cases in them. Actualy a vibration is not one of the symptoms representing a failure when there is a failure its usually accopanied by noises. and shuddering.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
noise

there is a humming noise too. Not loud, but the cabin isn't as quiet as I expected it to be. I haven't noticed any shuddering but there is that slight jerking people have talked about when coming to a stop.

The mechanic said that when he drained the transfer case, there were so many metal shavings in the fluid that it looked like metallic paint. If I end up having to keep the vehicle, I might take your suggestion to and take it into a MB dealership for a second opinion.

So, are there any other big ticket repairs that occur with some degree of frequency in these vehicles as they age or is it just random stuff based on wear and tear?