M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Metallic brake squeal noise when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Metallic brake squeal noise when driving

I have an 07 w164 ML63 and it's started to make a metallic squeaking noise, very similar to brake noise but this happens when driving in a straight line. Applying the brakes makes no difference.

The noise goes away when cornering but comes back as soon as the car has straightened up again.

Any ideas??

It's going to the dealer tomorrow
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by schmick325
I have an 07 w164 ML63 and it's started to make a metallic squeaking noise, very similar to brake noise but this happens when driving in a straight line. Applying the brakes makes no difference.

The noise goes away when cornering but comes back as soon as the car has straightened up again.

Any ideas??

It's going to the dealer tomorrow
You dont say how many miles are on the pads.Assuming they are new enough not to be the cause, it happens once in awhile that a tiny rock can land up on top of the brake pads and sit there in the taper of the pad and be forced in to make a squeal as the wheel turns. When it happens to me, i head to the carwash and it fixes the problem.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM

Pads and rotors are only about 10000 klms old. Pads have alot left on them.

I took it to Benz this morning and the foreman went for a spin and said he though it was a stone as well. They will check it all out.

It needs the park brake adjusted as well and there is a tensioner noise on the front of the motor as well that they can have a play with, otherwise I wish I'd seen your post before I'd left. I've got a Karcher high pressure cleaner in the garage!

Last edited by schmick325; 04-20-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Unbelievable,

About 2 months ago I had a missing wheel bolt in the right rear. So i went to Benz and bought another one. Turns out the one I got was too long and it has started rubbing on the park brake mechanism inside the rear disc, causing this metallic chirping sound I have been hearing.

Very strange as I thought it was coming from the left front!

Could have been worse.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by schmick325
Unbelievable,

About 2 months ago I had a missing wheel bolt in the right rear. So i went to Benz and bought another one. Turns out the one I got was too long and it has started rubbing on the park brake mechanism inside the rear disc, causing this metallic chirping sound I have been hearing.

Very strange as I thought it was coming from the left front!

Could have been worse.
If you gave the dealer your vin to access the wheel bolts part number and he gave you the wrong one, they will fix your brakes for free, but they wont unless you mention it to them