M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Another hitch question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Another hitch question

I'll be picking up a used complete tow hitch with brackets tomorrow from a scrapyard and it's from an 08 ML350 which is an exact match. I know I need a new SAM and I got price for it at $497 at local dealer. I asked the dealer and he said all I need is hitch and rear SAM, no need to tranny cooler (confirmed with my VIN). So now my question is does the new SAM have to be programmed at the dealer or is it plug and play?. I'm thinking of installing the hitch myself. I'm sort of mechanically inclined as I've taken my Z's engine apart to install new injectors in my Z. If you don't know Z's are a real PITA. Oh what about my bumper? Does it need to be modified to fit with hitch? TIA
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Make sure the hitch you are getting has been repaired under the recall. It was an error in the welding by the manufacturer MB used, and could cause the hitch to separate under use.

Several of the bumper/hitch bolts are one time use. Get new ones from the dealer also. Should be no modifications to the bumper. I have a factory hitch with Parktronic, and it looks the same as others I have seen without a hitch.

Pretty much everything on these cars require some dealer computer "touching" when something is installed or activated. I'm sure the rear SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) will be no exception. What I am wondering is if the SAM you have now just needs the tow hitch program activated, instead of replacing it. Thinking from a mass production stand point, why would a manufacture make several different module versions to option for a hitch, or electric hatch etc.? I could be wrong, but that seems inefficient.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Make sure the hitch you are getting has been repaired under the recall. It was an error in the welding by the manufacturer MB used, and could cause the hitch to separate under use.

Several of the bumper/hitch bolts are one time use. Get new ones from the dealer also. Should be no modifications to the bumper. I have a factory hitch with Parktronic, and it looks the same as others I have seen without a hitch.

Pretty much everything on these cars require some dealer computer "touching" when something is installed or activated. I'm sure the rear SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) will be no exception. What I am wondering is if the SAM you have now just needs the tow hitch program activated, instead of replacing it. Thinking from a mass production stand point, why would a manufacture make several different module versions to option for a hitch, or electric hatch etc.? I could be wrong, but that seems inefficient.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if dealer sells those bolts separately if not I'm gonna have to look for new bolts elsewhere. If I recall correctly you're correct about SAM not needing replaced for pre-2006 models but anything after 2006 new SAM is required. I guess it's a way for them to make extra money down the line.