M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Paddle shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML550
Paddle shifting

Is it okay to use the paddle shifters all the time for regular driving? I love my new ML550, but I dont love the automatic transmission. The thing is programmed to instantly upshift into the tallest gear as soon as possible, no doubt to save mpg.

I'm primarily concerned with the longivity of the gear box, as i've always been taught to never manually shift an automatic transmission.

I haven't owned an automatic car in a long time, and all my other three cars are all manuals, so it's quite a change in driving style.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
If it's going to affect the tranny surely car manufacturers won't offer them?
I use mine regularly as I find the auto shifts to the high gears too fast and when you accelerate from stop sometimes it shudders.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Paddle shift to your hearts content. I agree that MB wouldn't offer it if was bad for the car. Lots of cars have paddles these days actually.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM

2011 ML550
Originally Posted by DC-IT
If it's going to affect the tranny surely car manufacturers won't offer them?
I use mine regularly as I find the auto shifts to the high gears too fast and when you accelerate from stop sometimes it shudders.

Good to know...I also completely agree. The silly tranny will shift from 1st to 2nd, when accelerating from a stop with normal gas pedal pressure at 5 or so mph, and then from 2nd to 3rd ~10mph. I dont like it.

Glad we at least have the paddles as an option.

I've noticed however the tranmission doesnt downshift as smoothly under paddle mode to 1st gear when coming to a complete stop, vs fully automatic mode...another characteristic I dont like. Are there any tricks to make it smoother?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM

2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
You have to bear in mind our ML is a large vehicle and not designed for performance/handling.

I typically use the paddles to down shift for overtaking a slower vehicle and when it's up to speed I switch back to normal auto driving.

If I want real performance I drive my 335d which has insane torque of 425 Lb-Ft in a much smaller vehicle capable of heart pounding acceleration.

My recommendation is to drive it like you stole it and simply enjoy your ML and you will still get much better FE than the gas version.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by jon2002
I've noticed however the tranmission doesnt downshift as smoothly under paddle mode to 1st gear when coming to a complete stop, vs fully automatic mode...another characteristic I dont like. Are there any tricks to make it smoother?
The transmission starts in 2nd gear unless you stomp it off the line. Again, a FE measure.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 AM

'09 ML550
Two comments:

1. Using the paddles won't hurt, but I find they are kind of slow to shift, not like in a real manual box. BTW, if you run to the red line, the tranny will change gears anyway regardless of whether you are using the paddles or not. Likewise, it won't shift down under paddle control if doing so would exceed red line.

2. The transmission logic is heuristic -- it 'learns' your driving style and reacts accordingly. If you drive fairly aggressively, the transmission will hold lower gears longer, and vice versa. You can clear its current status by switching the ignition on (but not starting the engine) and holding the throttle all the way down for at least 20 seconds. Switch off and switch back on again, and it will revert to factory setting and then will start re-learning from your driving style.

It is interesting that you find it changes up too soon when you are driving gently. I find that under those conditions I can't even tell when it changes gear except by watching the tach!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 PM

2011 ML550
Originally Posted by roadrutz
Two comments:

1. Using the paddles won't hurt, but I find they are kind of slow to shift, not like in a real manual box. BTW, if you run to the red line, the tranny will change gears anyway regardless of whether you are using the paddles or not. Likewise, it won't shift down under paddle control if doing so would exceed red line.

2. The transmission logic is heuristic -- it 'learns' your driving style and reacts accordingly. If you drive fairly aggressively, the transmission will hold lower gears longer, and vice versa. You can clear its current status by switching the ignition on (but not starting the engine) and holding the throttle all the way down for at least 20 seconds. Switch off and switch back on again, and it will revert to factory setting and then will start re-learning from your driving style.

It is interesting that you find it changes up too soon when you are driving gently. I find that under those conditions I can't even tell when it changes gear except by watching the tach!

1. The paddle shifters are quite slow responding, but im at least happy i have some control. From playing around with them today, I am somewhat dissapointed...when it is in manual control, the tranny is still very much under automatic control.

Some observations:
-When on the highway and paddled down manually, for example to D6, or D5, the tranny will still kickdown to the lowest possible gear when you have the accelerator floored. I dont like that. I wish the tranny would stay in the driver selected gear, and simply allow full throttle, without kicking down additional gears and reving up to redline.
-When flooring the accelerator 100%, the paddles will not allow you to short shift before redline...the car will automaticly redline all the gears until you let off the gas slightly. I cann't understand this.
-When you have the car in manual mode, and come to a stop, the car will automaticly downshift, all the way down to 1st. When you get back up to speed, the car will up shift accordingly, up to the selected gear you have indicated manually.

Basically it seems that this manual mode for the automatic gearbox is very un-manual.

2. I think being a die hard manual transmission car fan, i am very aware of what the tranny is doing. It upshifts too soon(albeit smoothly) during light acceleration, which ruins the throttle response. I often find myself either accelerating unintentionally too slowly, or too quickly from stops when the car is in automatic. Fortunetly the manual paddle shifting fixes the concern and makes smooth acceleration much more managable.