M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

My ML sounds the horn when I answer the phone!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
My ML sounds the horn when I answer the phone!

I notice that this happens only after I first start the ML in the morning.
When I press the button to answer my cell phone it will sound the horn and answer the phone simultaneously.

All other calls will not have this weird issue even if I have shut down the ML and stop for a few hours.
It just will only do this the next morning!

Anyone having the same issue or know of any possible cause?

I called my CA and he has never heard of this and told me to bring it in.

Other than that everything else works fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM

'09 ML550
To start with, it is a pretty dumb design to have the phone controls on the horn. I not infrequently sound the horn when I push one of the steering wheel buttons. Very embarrassing.

If it only happens first thing for you, perhaps you are just stronger immediately after eating your Wheaties...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM

2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by roadrutz
To start with, it is a pretty dumb design to have the phone controls on the horn. I not infrequently sound the horn when I push one of the steering wheel buttons. Very embarrassing.

If it only happens first thing for you, perhaps you are just stronger immediately after eating your Wheaties...
You could be right!LOL!

But after the first press of the phone button, subsequent use are not any lighter and they don't activate the horn just the phone?

I think I'll try and answer the first phone call of the day by using the button on the cell phone and see if that will also sets off the horn.
It's just a minor nuisance and I was just concern that the driver in front of me might get upset when he thinks I'm tooting at him!
What if he stops his car and get out to confront me thinking this jerk in a Mercedes-Benz is telling him to get out of the way when all I was doing was answer my phone?