M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2006 ML500 engine problem (PLEASE HELP!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 500
2006 ML500 engine problem (PLEASE HELP!)

Last week picked up a 2006 ML 500 with 70,000 miles. Had a Mercedes dealership do a PPI for me and discovered it was a solid car with only minor issues. Let them do a LOT of preventive maintenance work after the purchase ($2,900.00 worth) to get me in the clear for another 70,000 miles. Serviced the transmission by changing the fluids and seals/gaskets, flushed the brakes, new spark plugs, thorough check of all codes, B service, etc.

It would not start the morning after getting it back from the shop - battery is perfect and engine turned over fine just would not start. I think the crankshaft position sensor is the issue. My question is do you guys think that when they replaced the fluid in the transmission and all the seals/gaskets that some of the liquid could have leaked out and burned the sensor which is located at the engine/transmission interface?

There was some other sloppy work done which is why I think this might be a possibility. Weather stripping pulled loose from sunroof when greasing and not tacked back into place, in addition to the front passenger seat upholstery detached from the base air bladder bunched up and not fixed - discovered this also the next morning.

Thanks for any insight. Its just such a coincidence that a major mechanical problem occured hours after getting the car back from comprehensive bumper to bumper preventive maintenance services performed in order to keep this exact thing from occuring.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Originally Posted by skydiver20033
Last week picked up a 2006 ML 500 with 70,000 miles. Had a Mercedes dealership do a PPI for me and discovered it was a solid car with only minor issues. Let them do a LOT of preventive maintenance work after the purchase ($2,900.00 worth) to get me in the clear for another 70,000 miles. Serviced the transmission by changing the fluids and seals/gaskets, flushed the brakes, new spark plugs, thorough check of all codes, B service, etc.

It would not start the morning after getting it back from the shop - battery is perfect and engine turned over fine just would not start. I think the crankshaft position sensor is the issue. My question is do you guys think that when they replaced the fluid in the transmission and all the seals/gaskets that some of the liquid could have leaked out and burned the sensor which is located at the engine/transmission interface?

There was some other sloppy work done which is why I think this might be a possibility. Weather stripping pulled loose from sunroof when greasing and not tacked back into place, in addition to the front passenger seat upholstery detached from the base air bladder bunched up and not fixed - discovered this also the next morning.

Thanks for any insight. Its just such a coincidence that a major mechanical problem occured hours after getting the car back from comprehensive bumper to bumper preventive maintenance services performed in order to keep this exact thing from occuring.
Your just unlucky with the crank angle sensor, it's not something they have done or would have known about when they had it. As for the rest of the work I would just take the car back, point out all the problems and leave it in their hand to rectify at their cost, don't get angry about it, just give them the opportunity to rectify and I would be suggesting the crank sensor as a good will repair. If they fail to fix it then I'd be chaging tactics.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 500
Thank you for the reply. Its at the shop now and hopefully it will turn out this way. Unfortunately when I took it back yesterday and pointed out the problems with the seat and the sunroof the service advisor got very defensive and rude. She did get a technician to come out to the bay and he shoved the seat back together (which came apart again last night) and told me the weather stripping was not needed and told me to throw it away.

Not getting mad just concerned that I might be facing another huge repair bill for something that very well might be their responsibility. Could be a very unlucky coincidence just trying to get advice on possibilities before I hear from them tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the constructive advice.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by skydiver20033
Thank you for the reply. Its at the shop now and hopefully it will turn out this way. Unfortunately when I took it back yesterday and pointed out the problems with the seat and the sunroof the service advisor got very defensive and rude. She did get a technician to come out to the bay and he shoved the seat back together (which came apart again last night) and told me the weather stripping was not needed and told me to throw it away.

Not getting mad just concerned that I might be facing another huge repair bill for something that very well might be their responsibility. Could be a very unlucky coincidence just trying to get advice on possibilities before I hear from them tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the constructive advice.
For this I would tell him, since the engineers at Mercedes put it there, then it is needed, and make sure they put it back and put it back correctly. If it was not needed Mercedes would not have had it there to begin with. for the seat, get another technician and have it done correctly, not a half *** attempt of shoving it back together.....

you paid to have the car in good working order and to have peace of mind, you did not pay for them to remove or to tell you to remove parts they think are not needed or to shove things back together

speak to another service adviser who is more understanding and knows some better customer relations

that is my 2 cents.....