M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2007 ML350 Being Held Hostage By MB Corporate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:43 PM

2011 ML350 Blueteck (Sold); 2014 E350 Wagon, Sport, Indigo Blue (Sold); 2021 GLC300, 2022 BMW X5
So as asked above, does anyone know if this just impacts up to 2007 build dates or is happening to later model years?

I had read about it prior to purchasing but thought it was solved and impacted up through 2007. Isn't this the same transmission that the GL still has (did they get the new ones this year) so is it a part shortage?

So curious on if this is a potential ongoing issue that could impact all W164's and I consider extended warranty or trading up before I normally would.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2011 | 11:56 AM

2007 Mercedes ML350
It's Tuesday, No Car

As of today I don't have a car. This problem affects all M Class up until the new redesign. Which phased out the problem. And if you think MBUSA will help, they don't have a clue. Ha Ha Ha. They are no help and take no responsibility for anything. I've reported the problem to NHTSA.
Peace, love and happiness
Old 12-20-2011 | 01:50 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by auxny1
As of today I don't have a car. This problem affects all M Class up until the new redesign. Which phased out the problem. And if you think MBUSA will help, they don't have a clue. Ha Ha Ha. They are no help and take no responsibility for anything. I've reported the problem to NHTSA.
Peace, love and happiness
I am no expert but I don't see how the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency will help in a case of a slow supply chain issue of parts used by an auto manufacturer. I think you will have more luck with consumer groups. Please let us know of the outcome.
Old 12-20-2011 | 02:41 PM

2007 Mercedes ML350
Smile The Defect Was Reported

I am no expert but if the defective part died while I was merging into highway traffic, odds are I am risking getting rear ended while trying to reach highway speed. Do you not think my wife and kids in the car should risk our lives and the lives of others by not reporting it? This is not a parts shortage problem, it's a hazard. I hate to let all you die hard Benz customers down but this is business as usually for big corporation. Which means you don't get what you pay for.

P.S. MBUSA says even under warranty they are not responsible for rental car fees or a loaner. Straight from the horses mouth
Old 12-20-2011 | 05:33 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Hey I am still a Mercedes Fan. 3rd generation owner as far as I can remember. As a matter of fact I liked the loaner GLK I drove so much, I ordered one for my wife to replace her E wagon. (2012 with upgraded tranny)
Still have my 2007 MLCDI, and the new tranny shifts really smooth, but I will be forth coming and say that MB seems to be dropping the ball on this defect issue. The problem from what I know is with the W164 models through 2011. There were 4 sitting at the dealer lot waiting for trannys when mine showed up. Don't know if they were still there, when I left, but that seems to be the trend all over. Also there is no pre warning of the failure. And in my case, tranny service was dealer performed at 40K and 80K miles. The 5 week parts delay in repair was shocking, but the sudden failure was even more disappointing for me. My personal thought is MB should step up and give us owners a warranty till say 150K miles? Porsche did the same with their high pressure direct injection fuel pumps, as do other manufactures. (BMW 3 series comes to mind)
Personally, after plopping down $60K on my ML I expect not to have to spend another $6500 possibly every 20-100K miles on a transmission.

Dminahan, the extended warranty worked out for me in this case, and when the MB 2 year/24K mile warranty on this re manufactured tranny runs out, I may be forced to evaluate the risk of keeping this ML vs a 2013 ML. (if they can get the Xenon's and fix the puddle lights by then)
On a side note, I was hinted that it was a good thing I had a private extended warranty, as the parts installed under MB's extended warranty do not get the 2 year 24K miles guarantee.
Old 12-21-2011 | 04:55 AM

CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
On a side note, I was hinted that it was a good thing I had a private extended warranty, as the parts installed under MB's extended warranty do not get the 2 year 24K miles guarantee.

May I ask what extended warranty plan did you have in place? Cheers and TIA.
Old 02-21-2012 | 11:11 PM

2016 E63 s63 (sold),1986 Buick Grand National (sold)2014 ML63
I would love the links! E mail aplguys@aol.com

2007 GL450 with 62k that gets stuck in a random gear. See my viral posts on here to try to raise as many people with the same issues and hit MBUSA en masse.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012 | 11:13 PM

My original post

Hello all, this issue has serious safety concerns and is something that needs immediate attention and action taken. Please read on.

I have a 2007 GL 450 that has begun the notorious 7 speed (722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission) etc. electronics failure. It will get stuck in a random forward gear with no apparent driver/user solution but to power cycle the vehicle. (Shut it down, and restart.) If you shift to neutral, it will stay there and not engage any other gear (forward or reverse) until you shutdown and restart. This almost sounds like a bad personal computer operating system. Imagine being in the middle of a normally safe three-point-turn to find the vehicle won’t move unless you shut it off and restart! It happened to me today.

This is a load of nonsense – this problem is not due to abuse, misuse, neglect, or even reasonable wear and tear. I have found others that have been told “the valve body is warped”, etc – so it follows restarting the car un-warped it? Do these people (the dealers) really know how to service these vehicles? This is clearly an electronics failure.

This is an absolute design/manufacturing flaw of the "conductor plate and valve body assembly", and my research carries that the Benz 7 speed transmission is notorious across many models and platforms, and there are many TSB’s on it; recently (Date: April 8, 2011 Order No.: S-B-27.00/120 Group: 27 SUBJECT: All Models Equipped with 722.9 NAG2 (7G-Tronic) Transmission) and it is a well documented problem internally within MBUSA.

Beyond warranty? Not a CPO vehicle? Okay - but - ….

Try this - If my wife (or yours) gets off the freeway, comes to a stop, and then attempts to proceed normally with the vehicle now stuck in 5th (or whatever it chooses) gear, - there is a reasonable user presumption that the car would accelerate normally and be able to safely join traffic....instead it crawls forward at a few miles an hour into potential harms way with no way to accelerate the vehicle normally, thereby leaving the driver and our children in danger. I speak from personal experience.

This is not just a defect, it is a safety issue, and MBUSA needs their feet held to the fire on this one.

It is unreasonable for any manufacturer to tout "The best or nothing" and "Engineered like no other car in the world" and then expect the consumer to pay $2000+ to fix a known electronics design/manufacture flaw. There are even rumblings that VDO (speed sensor/electronics manufacturer) and MB are at odds over who is actually to blame, so clearly they both see costs are going to mount when the inevitable recall occurs. I plan to notify the NHTSA among others if I don't get some favorable answers immediately.

To make it worse, Part # 220 270 27 06 88 is what I am told I need, costing $838.00. (wow!) If I wanted to buy this part outright and have my indy shop or myself install it, I STILL have to go to the dealer for "programming" that I nor most indy shops can carry out.
So regardless of who is at fault, you are railroaded into going to the dealer, dealing with their dismissive “here’s the bill” attitude and paying their inflated rates regardless. You as a consumer are left with no other recourse. I wonder if there is a legal challenge with that in and of itself. To the OP, it sounds like they even robbed you on the part alone.

In summary, they build a defective transmission that will certainly leave you in harm’s way, and then they (MBUSA) say “too bad, pay US to fix it or you have no other option.” I question not only the ethics but legality of this position MBUSA has taken.

I am collecting names, vehicle types, and e mail addresses for any that are interested in signing on to force MBUSA into a recall based on safety (or lack thereof) alone.

I do not seek anything more than an email address, name, and year/make/model affected. Your information will not be used for any other purpose but adding strength to my argument with MBUSA. Feel free to PM me, or email aplguys@aol.com.

Understand absolutely clearly that I am not attempting to defame, discredit, or slander MBUSA in any fashion, but I will not have safety compromised in a premium vehicle and then be billed for it, nor will I be lead to believe it’s “normal wear and tear, abuse, misuse, or neglect”. This is a flaw that compromises safety, period.

I bought my GL450 because I love my Mercedes Benz E55 AMG so much. I bought another Benz because of the quality previously displayed and that one would reasonably expect. Maybe I should have kept my Dodge Durango Limited. What’s right is right.

If we stick together, maybe good will prevail. There is strength in numbers.

I want to hear from all of you affected! __________________
2004 E55 bought 4/1/11. 70k miles.
Old 02-21-2012 | 11:16 PM

And this IS a safety issue.
Old 02-22-2012 | 07:26 AM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by Chris Buffalo
And this IS a safety issue.
According to you and your tens of posts on this very same subject in just about every subforum, everything that remotely relates to the car breaking down IS a safety concern? I ran out of gas once and the car stalled. Maybe my passengers should have sued me for endangering their lives... I mean where do you stop? It is one thing to complain about extremely high repair bills that occur much earlier than they should in the car's lifetime and another to conveniently use the safety risk excuse to gain attention hoping for relief from MBUSA.
Old 02-24-2012 | 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
NHTSA will decide if it's a safety issue.

They have criteria, one of which is NOT a complainer says so.
Old 03-21-2012 | 11:14 AM

08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster
HI all, Same problem, in Merc dealer

Hi all,
I felt like I needed to get invovled with this thread, reason being, I have an 08' ML550, and it has been in the dealer three times with same shifting issues, except now it is in there again, and the Svc manager now says they are going to 'begin filing paperwork' in order to get me a new valve body.
First question, should I ask them to also put in an order (under extended warranty) for a new torque converter? - some have said this was done as well in this thread?
Sec, they're telling me that these parts (valve bodies) are like GOLD, and that you will probably not get one unless you have thrown a code, mine hasn't but they had their shop foreman there drive it home for TWO DAYS-He reported back to me, (customer) and his Svc Director that there is something going on and they gave me a call saying that it would take at LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE I GET MY Merc back? Crazy if you ask me.

Finally, what can I do? If this truck, which only has 40k miles on it is already expereince FAULTY and DEFECTIVE parts problems, which we ALL know it is, what is a loyal Merc guy to do? Anyway's conversation for another day, but wanted to get some thoughts from those of you here in IL, (seen a couple of you on here, and where you service your MB's)

Thanks,

Steven
Old 03-24-2012 | 10:14 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Steven, simple solution, get a reputable extended warranty before the factory one runs out. I bought mine from the dealer in Barrington where I have it serviced. PM me for service staff info.
The torque converter was changed on mine because the oil pump disintegrated and contaminates went everywhere. (Also a common problem)
Valve body shift issue is due to electronic failures, so have them replace that. Uphill battle, but well worth the fight.
Old 04-18-2012 | 04:17 PM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by 2008ml550_0104
Hi all,
I felt like I needed to get invovled with this thread, reason being, I have an 08' ML550, and it has been in the dealer three times with same shifting issues, except now it is in there again, and the Svc manager now says they are going to 'begin filing paperwork' in order to get me a new valve body.
First question, should I ask them to also put in an order (under extended warranty) for a new torque converter? - some have said this was done as well in this thread?
Sec, they're telling me that these parts (valve bodies) are like GOLD, and that you will probably not get one unless you have thrown a code, mine hasn't but they had their shop foreman there drive it home for TWO DAYS-He reported back to me, (customer) and his Svc Director that there is something going on and they gave me a call saying that it would take at LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE I GET MY Merc back? Crazy if you ask me.

Finally, what can I do? If this truck, which only has 40k miles on it is already expereince FAULTY and DEFECTIVE parts problems, which we ALL know it is, what is a loyal Merc guy to do? Anyway's conversation for another day, but wanted to get some thoughts from those of you here in IL, (seen a couple of you on here, and where you service your MB's)

Thanks,

Steven
Hope you were able to get your part Steven. My '06 ML350 finally got the CEL the other day, a month after my shifting problem started. Code 2767 and 2768 said the dealer. 48 Hours later, they got the part (000-270-17-00-88) and fixed it. $1080 out the door. I'm not happy about it, but at least the anxiety of slowing to a stop is over...
Old 06-13-2012 | 10:10 AM

ML 350
Unhappy

New member here. Any update on availability of parts for the ll 350 transmission? Thanks.

Mike

Originally Posted by auxny1
My car (Mercedes ML350) has been at Knopf Mercedes, Allentown, PA for almost a month. My car was towed there after the car would not shift gears. It turns out the car needs a valve body for the transmission. Unfortunately for me the part is unavailable anywhere on planet earth. They have no idea when the part will become available. At this dealership four other cars are awaiting the part. Upon looking online the problem is widespread. There are MB customers all over the county awaiting the same part. The problem has also been reported in several other countries. I've contacted the Attorney General in Pennsylvania and Mercedes Corporate. I've enclosed a link with a mechanic that's dealt with the problem. Please help.
MB has not given me a loaner and today I am no better than the day the car was towed away.
http://jayauto.wordpress.com/2011/06...-transmission/
Old 06-27-2012 | 03:28 PM

2007 ml350
07 ML350 Transmission issues

Since my trans fluid change at 40k miles(dealer serviced) I am having all of the aforementioned tranny problems:

1) Come to a Stop, go - no go. Stuck in high gear.

2) Come to a Stop, go. Stuck in first gear, hand paddles do nothing. (This one's a ***** when you're pulling out into traffic and they're bearing down on you)

3) Hard down shift from 2 to 1

4) Slow down, go to speed up, car stuck in high gear no pick up.

From all that I'm seeing here, how do I approach the service appointment. Do I go with all this forum information printed out and just go straight to the throttle body conversation? Let them do a diagnostic procedure? What's the best way to tackle this?
Old 06-27-2012 | 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by rousell1
Since my trans fluid change at 40k miles(dealer serviced) I am having all of the aforementioned tranny problems:

2) Come to a Stop, go. Stuck in first gear, hand paddles do nothing. (This one's a ***** when you're pulling out into traffic and they're bearing down on you)

From all that I'm seeing here, how do I approach the service appointment. Do I go with all this forum information printed out and just go straight to the throttle body conversation? Let them do a diagnostic procedure? What's the best way to tackle this?
I would just give them the symptoms and ask what they plan to replace. At that point I would mention that you had seen anotherr problem like this on the site and tell them what was said was done to correct it. If they are an experiences dealership they will already know what the situation is all about.
Old 06-27-2012 | 07:51 PM

2010 ML550, 2012 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by rousell1

Do a quick ECU reset and see if it works before you think about ripping up the tranny.
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:04 AM

2007 ml350
Originally Posted by pharaoh
Do a quick ECU reset and see if it works before you think about ripping up the tranny.
Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone had this issue, received a new throttle body and no problems since? Also, does anyone have any knowledge as to the new part replacement. Is it the same part, just new or is this a modified part to overcome the failures?
Old 07-04-2012 | 12:44 AM

Okay guys, here's the solution:

I took the GL 450 in for the "conductor plate". It controls all shift behavior, and I predict that eventually the folks at MBUSA will eventually recall or at least partially compensate owners for this defect, as it is clearly not neglect or misuse.

The part I needed is 270-17-00-88. $361.53
Along with some ancillary fluids, gaskets, and 4 hours of labor, I was out the door for around a grand. $1064.23 to be exact, before local taxes.

I clearly am not happy, but it now works fine. The dealer tried pulling some inflated labor BS to the tune of 8-9 hours and twice this cost, but I wasn't going for it, as I know what is entailed in replacing this part.

I could have *****ed louder, but the previous owner was an idiot and didn't change the trans oil @ 39k miles as instructed, so they had an out.

Moral to the story: FOLLOW YOUR MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE. They pay millions in engineering to make these cars great, don't try to rethink what they prescribe. At the very least, you will have a stronger leg to stand on in the event of an issue. Second, don't take BS from the dealer. Mine was cool, but I had to remind them I know what's up to get the bill adjusted to be fair. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before paying any crazy repair bill!

In the end, Save your receipts. If MBUSA is forced to recall this known and well documented problem, you can request compensation based on paying out of pocket.

Trans works fine now!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-21-2012 | 08:58 AM

2007 ML350
Transmission issues

I noticed that most of these were 2011 posts. Did this supply chain issue get resolved, and did you get the car fixed?
Old 07-23-2012 | 09:17 AM

2007 ml350
Trans Issues

Originally Posted by JohnR2012
I noticed that most of these were 2011 posts. Did this supply chain issue get resolved, and did you get the car fixed?
Took my 07 ML350 to Ft. Washington MB, in PA last week. Turned out to be the conductor plate. They diagnosed it on a Monday and I had the car back by Friday. They reset the (adaptive shift settings??) and so far the tranny shifts like new. No issues what so ever. Got out of there at $1300 all in, which from what I've read in this forum is a victory for this issue. The service writer was a good guy, shot me straight and delivered on the repair.