M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

COMAND UNIT FAILED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 MB ML320 CDI
COMAND UNIT FAILED

Took to dealer they got it checked by auto sound shop decided replacment nessesary ,had a unit in New Zealand (NZ) got it the next day then fiqured the needed a new ignition to get it to work a 2 week wait to import slapped an old unit in the mean time. Phoned them arfter 3weeks or so, ok bring it in then they figured they needed a green key another week wait to import. Finally all fitted opps forgot to program our other key so has to go back again (this can take 6 hours) arh well wife gets a loaner Just as well all under warranty.
How common is it for these to blow.
List Prices: Comand NZ$ 10200
Ignition NZ$ 700

New ML 350 CDI NZD 125000 +
Old 12-18-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
The early COMAND NTG2.5 units did not have a PIN code lock on them (where they read the VIN from the EIS (ignition switch), the new ones do presumably as so many got pinched and ended up on eBay.

Some of the 2009 ML EIS did not work with the PIN code system, and it looks like yours was one of those and thus needed a new EIS ..

What was broken about your NTG2.5? What most dealers don't know is that it is often the hard disk and Mercedes sell replacements for NTG2.5 ..

Richard
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 MB ML320 CDI
Thanks for the reply.

The visit to the Auto Sound shop was just to borrow the old unit.
They had not replaced any of the ones that read the PIN from the EIS in a ML. So they claimed they had to get the EIS first, I think coded for the vehicle, then get the green key coded for the EIS.
Ours was sold new March 09. To program the second key only took a few minutes.

When the unit started failing my wife said the screen had a message something about updating and a progress bar started showing across the bottom of the screen and then dissappeared. The screen then showed the Mercedes symbol and the radio would play for a few seconds then it would make a popping noise and radio would stop. Then the screen would start up again with the Mercedes symbol and this process would repeat again (minus the updating and progress bar).

Interesting about the hard drive.

I would have to ask them what happened to it but I doubt whether they could answer! I would certainly be looking into this if we were paying!