M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Extended Warranty for a New 2012 ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ml 320 cdi/ lexus V8 soarer
as i said" after reading all the probs other people have encounted.." use search see what you think,
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM

ML350
^I'd rather if you list problems that you have had, not what others have had. I will read about those too. But doing so does not qualify me to rate the vehicle as bad and troublesome if I do not have any problems. Right?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM

ml 320 cdi/ lexus V8 soarer
No worries Chikoo, MB know about the problem with the trans and replaced so many condutor plates , they ran out , there was a two month wait for one at one time ,even talk of class action, its just a bit of a worry dont you think.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

ML350
So I did find the thread about the transmission issue. (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ion-issue.html)

I say this is standard fare with about ANY vehicle nowadays.
Even the venerable Toyota & Lexus have had their fair share of similar issues.
Eg. Replace piston heads and rings to prevent carbon buildup on the IS.
Eg. Navigation unit touch screen stops responding to touch after being kept outdoor under the sun for a whole afternoon.
Eg. 1st Gen Lexus RX with AWD experienced tranny failures due to using a transmission not designed for AWD.
Eg. Same AWD issue with Acura MDX.
Eg. Ventilation shift gates on the RX stop responding after 100K. Need to replace the whole mechanism ($400 + labor)
Eg. Door lock motors on RX stop working after 100K. Need $300 + labor to replace.

Now if you are telling me that on the ML350, something or the other always keep breaking while you fix another, that is a whole different game. Is that the case?

Last edited by chikoo; 01-31-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM

ML350
Something these extended warranty guys need to start considering now.
================================================== ===========
German-made cars are not as reliable as many believe, according to new research. Warranty Direct has studied its claims data to compile a list of the manufacturers with the most reliable engines - and Audi, BMW and Volkswagen all finished in the bottom 10 out of a total 36 makers.

In fact, the only firm whose cars had a worse engine failure rate than Audi was MG Rover. MINI wasn’t much better, finishing third from bottom, while its parent company BMW came seventh from bottom. And, despite its reputation for rock-solid reliability, Volkswagen came ninth from bottom.

Honda scooped the gold medal – the study found that just one in every 344 Honda engines failed, compared to one in every 27 Audi engines. Despite its recent recall woes, Toyota came second and Mercedes managed to outperform its fellow German brands with a respectable third-place finish.

Duncan McClure, Warranty Direct Managing Director, said that engine failures are the worst for motorists as they’re the repairs that can lead to the highest costs because of the parts and hours of labour required to fix them: “The nuber of failures may be low compared to areas such as axle and suspension damage but engine repairs almost always result in costs reaching the thousands for motorists who aren’t covered by a warranty.”

An engine failure on a Range Rover Vogue recently led to Warranty Direct’s highest ever claim of £13,000.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ngine-failures