M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Question for the cdi/bluetec guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63, prius
Question for the cdi/bluetec guys

Hi guys....got couple question....hopefully u guys can help me....

1.) is it extra to maintain compare to regular cdi?
2. ) how much more to maintain it?
3.) In winter time, do u need to put fueline antifreeze? (like the reg diesel truck)?
4.) What is the average mpg for BT350?

Also i am struggle which route i should go....320cdi, 350BT or 63.....can u guys give me some suggestion?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by dacatz
Hi guys....got couple question....hopefully u guys can help me....

1.) is it extra to maintain compare to regular cdi? The additional costs is in the AdBlue (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). But that is a small costs for a cleaner exhaust.
2. ) how much more to maintain it? Other than the above the rest of the engine is the same maintenance.
3.) In winter time, do u need to put fueline antifreeze? (like the reg diesel truck)? No. Winterized Diesel already has all the additives needed to prevent freezing.
4.) What is the average mpg for BT350? I'm getting over 24 MPG (US) in Toronto/GTA driving.

Also i am struggle which route i should go....320cdi, 350BT or 63.....can u guys give me some suggestion?

Thanks
If you are buying new you have to get the BlueTec.
Do you put a lot of highway mileage for your daily driving?
This is where the Diesel has the great advantage.
It's fuel economy is also an added bonus.
The 63 will need frequent visits to the gas stations.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM

c63, prius
Originally Posted by DC-IT
If you are buying new you have to get the BlueTec.
Do you put a lot of highway mileage for your daily driving?
This is where the Diesel has the great advantage.
It's fuel economy is also an added bonus.
The 63 will need frequent visits to the gas stations.
I am still thinking should i buy used ML63 or new BT350.....and mostly i will be driving in the city....but maybe twice a month in the summer time, i am planning to towing a camping trailer....or my track car....do u think BT350 will handle to tow a 4000lbs vehicle + 1500lbs to 2000 lbs trailer....?

What do mean?
"Winterized Diesel already has all the additives needed to prevent freezing"
Is it mean diesel in toronto already have the additives?
what diesel brand u recommend in toronto area?

Also any idea how much for the Adblue fluid when it is low?

Thx!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM

2013 E350 BlueTec, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by dacatz
I am still thinking should i buy used ML63 or new BT350.....and mostly i will be driving in the city....but maybe twice a month in the summer time, i am planning to towing a camping trailer....or my track car....do u think BT350 will handle to tow a 4000lbs vehicle + 1500lbs to 2000 lbs trailer....?
The 2012 ML350BT has 450LB-FT TQ which should be able to meet your towing needs. It'll also have a higher resale value than the 63.
What do mean?
"Winterized Diesel already has all the additives needed to prevent freezing"
Is it mean diesel in toronto already have the additives? Yes. Just fill up and drive is all you need to do.
what diesel brand u recommend in toronto area? I use SHELL mainly. But most stations like ESSO & PetroCanada also have Diesel.

Also any idea how much for the Adblue fluid when it is low?
AdBlue lasts till you need to go in for your oil change. A warning will display on your dash if it's low. If need be you can buy AdBlue refills from Walmart or Canadian Tire or Mid Ontario Diesel in Maple. Costs around $20/2.5 Gal at Walmart or Canadian Tire.
Thx!
I've switched to all Diesel vehicles and will not buy another gasser.
But will consider a Hybrid/Diesel if such a vehicle ever makes it here.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 AM

c63, prius
u got your my11 new or used? also...i have notice that some come with halgon foglight and some come with led daytime running lights...any different? may i know what option u have and how much u got it for?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
In my view the choice between a ML63 even used and any of the diesels or the ML350 gasser for that matter is obvious. As any AMG it is a rocket. Plain and simple. It is also fully equipped inside and out. The fact that you even consider the 63 tells me that you enjoy performance more than economy so iny view just go with it. If fuel economy is a major consideration then of course the diesel has a big advantage over the ML63 but a smaller advantage over the 350 but with higher fuel costs and slightly higher maintenance costs (ie frequent fuel filter changes)
I personally have dismissed the idea of owning a diesel after carefully calculating that I wouldn't save much for the type of driving I do. Bottom line is don't kid yourself. The ML63 is racing fast. Any diesel is somewhat fast especially on the low end like takeoff from full stop but they are only fair on the high end speeds.