M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Interesting.. Can a chip from Kleeman, Brabus.. Add more Hp??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster
Interesting.. Can a chip from Kleeman, Brabus.. Add more Hp??

This is such an interesting topic, any help would be great. If I add a chip, change a chip/computer, to my 08 ML550 I have read that some people are acheiving more than 50+ hp and higher torque? Does this work, or this a waste of money from some tuning company that claims to add more HP & Torque? I'd love to be pushing out 430hp plus higher torque on my ML, just don't know that this will help. Do tell.

Does it void the extended warranty if I have one?

How much does it cost?

Thx
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'03 A4 2.0 Stroker, '14 E63 S AMG, '10 E550, '10 S550, '03 C240
They are living in La La Land, there is NO WAY to gain 50+ Horsepower on the M273 5.5L V8 with JUST a chip. You'll gain more like 10-15HP and 20-25 ft lbs of torque.

If you want 430HP, you need to do a full set of headers, free flowing exhaust and a solid dyno tune. Anything beyond that and you need a set of cams.

No it wont void the warranty.

This topic was covered in a thread directly below yours.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster
Cool

Whats up AudiA4Turbo22, again... Good to see someone else is of firm sound and mind. lol. 10-15 horse may be reasonable to assume. Thanks for both RE's to my posts. What have you done to your ML? I'm happy with mine, plenty of power, pulls away from everything, and has smoother ride than the 07' ML63 I owned. Had to trade, had high miles and I drive too many miles on expressways to enjoy the car, i.e., (bumpy ride even in comfort mode). 550 was quick and smoother, a lot smoother. Anyways, headers and exhaust may be the option for the added power, any idea what kind of costs are involved in doing a job like that?

Glad to hear it does not void the warranty even if I did chip it, btw, what will these companies promise when you call them and ask what these chips can do? Any idea how much they cost?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 M Class 300CDI
I have been doing some research and asked my local MB dealer and they said it wouldn't void my warranty but IF the damage caused to your car can be traced to the modifications on your car THEN you'll be expected to pay for the repair. Obviously check with your local MB before you do if you are concerned. In the UK they offer the Brabus chip as an after sales service.

Kleeman, Carlsson and Brabus (I think) are the main 3 that specialize in European cars but I think only Brabus deal exclusively with Mercedes cars.

I have been doing my research mainly on the Brabus unit because their the only distributor in my state in Australia that I can bring my car to. I have not come across many if any reviews on these boxes but at the same time have not heard of anything bad going wrong with the Brabus units. Brabus do offer 3 years/100,000km warranty on all their units. Again please check with your Brabus distributor.

I will most likely fit the D5 (III) on mine soon and do a review later on to see the difference.

I'm going to assume you're in the states and I HIGHLY recommend contacting Henry from 3W Distributing. He contacted me via pm because he had come across some of my posts. Whilst I didn't buy anything from him he was very helpful and answered all my queries and it gave me confidence to proceed and try to fit the unit (in a few months). He knew I was from Australia and unlikely would buy from him because I can't get my car to his shop, but he still provided excellent customer service, I was very impressed and recommend you contact him. He emailed me all the information on the units I had asked for literally in one day!! If I did live over there I'd definitely pay him a visit.

I know to modify a new MB and having it still under warranty would concern me should anything go wrong but having all your questions answered by someone who knew his stuff and not in it just for the sale is someone I'd want to deal with because even though I'm over here (Australia) I wanted to buy from him. Maybe some exterior modifications in the future.

On a side note you have V8 petrol engine isn't that more than enough power???? I'm guessing a little more wouldn't hurt right?

The Brabus unit cost like $3000 over here so they aren't that cheap but their made exclusively for MB cars and Brabus have a long history dealing with these cars so that is a bonus. It only works once your car reaches the correct temperature, and supposedly makes the transmission smoother when I spoke to my local Brabus dealer.

I reckon you've already got enough power why not a exhaust system for a louder noise which increase power slightly and if anything were to happen wouldn't effect the engine or transmission (IMO).

If you do get one write up a review there doesn't seem to be many reviews on here or at least I haven't seen them. Good luck!!

Last edited by primatives; 04-11-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
You reflash the ECU, chips were only used on much older cars. Jeremy at OETuning reflashed my 09 ML550. Previous posters are correct, you'll only net approximately 15hp and maybe 20tq. But, even those small increases do make a difference in performance and actually increases your mpg about 1 mile overall. Several tuners boast/promise (to get your $$$$) you'll get the numbers you want, that's pure BS. I also looked into this extensively.

BTW, when I purchased my 09 I also had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison with an identically equipped 09 ML63 that I was also seriously considering. You're right, the ML550 is the better DD, compares favorably with the ML63 and IMO, has turned out to be the better choice.

OETuning is a board sponsor. I suggest you contact Jeremy to discuss reflashing your ECU with him. His prices are reasonable vs. the "others" you mention.

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 04-11-2012 at 08:08 AM.