M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 HELP! Dealer can't figure it out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350
ML350 HELP! Dealer can't figure it out!

Hoping someone knows a little more than my dealer here, or has had a similar issue so I can get them on the right track. Here is the issue: 2010 Ml350, 20,000 miles or so. Under full warrantee. Driving to Vegas and 2 hours in all of a sudden the and ESP and triangle light come on, speedometer drops to zero but still runs fine. Display says "pre safe inoperative, see owners manual" next screen says "cruise control inoperative." Next screen says "abs esp inoperative" see user manual. After a while it worked again but threw the check engine light. So we took it in, they said the wheel sensors are fine, checked the abs unit, replaced one of the computers and gave it back. Said it was fixed. 3 days later same thing. Said they replaced a different computer and gave it back. Said it was fixed. 2 weeks later and it happens again. This time they say they took the "wiring apart from end to end" and can't figure it out. They call me the next day, tell me to pick it up and they want to talk to me. We show up and the service advisor says good news and bad news. Good news is, they figured it out. Bad news......get this.....the INTERIOR led lights that I changed in the cabin are causing the issue!!!! I asked him if he was serious. I told him that I hoped Mercedes would not link an interior light failure to a computer controlling the abs unit! He went on and on about how things all are connected blah blah. He had no answer for the fact that these lights have been in for a year without issue. I'm changing them back to stock tonight, but this is obviously not the issue. Can anyone please help!!!! This is crazy.

Someone please help.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Eventually they will replace the speedo / tach cluster. That's what fixed the same issue with a friends 2008 ML.
As for the lights in the interior, that has NOTHING to do with it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ml 320 cdi/ lexus V8 soarer
I am sure the leds did not cause this problem,BUT its not what they are connected to, its what they give out as interferance, I fitted a set L.E.D. daytime running lights and it stopped my digital radio/TV dead,switch the DRLs off all works perfect again .changed the DRLs for ones with a E4 mark (better led drivers ) all works well.
Google LED interferance its a big problem.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Ml350
I switched all interior bulbs and license plate lights back to stock. The front fog lights are disconnected and I DID upgrade to Mercedes benz led driving lights off a 2011, however they are connected directly to battery when key is on. While driving yesterday it happened again. Literally the only thing I can change is the front LEDs and put the stock fogs back in. Could this really be the issue? The dealer to me today that the lights are connected to the front Sam and because my lights are off a later model Mercedes it could cause the fault. He also went do far to suggest my hid upgrade could cause the issue. Fed up with the car at this point. Had these lights for a year without incident and now this problem 4 times in one month?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Ml350
Come to think of it, the up and down on the telescopic steering was not working. At about the time they had to retrofit a new e class harness into my ml350 this all started happening. Could the wiring pr cramped incorrect harness inside the steering column effect this? Pinched? Frayed? Etc? Thanks again for your help. Dropping it off again today with Mercedes. 4th time now.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Similar symptoms happened to me twice.

First time they found an open circuit and replaced the contact spiral coil in the steering column.

Next time they replaced the whole steering column, and due to factory update modifications, the Airbag and cover as well.

It was the same fault each time, they believed a fault in the column caused the initial spiral coil fault.

It was under warranty, and I had a loaner so no cost to me.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM

Ml350
Thanks guys. My dealer is just a joke I guess. Fresno Mercedes. They are saying they can't just replace and check stuff because I got advice. Codes have to register on their sTAR system. So why is the system not showing exactly what's wrong? This all started when they shoved an e class harness in the steering column to fix the tilt issue. Apparently they don't have a replacement for the m class any longer? Anyway, what's the story on a lemon law here? It's a 2010 with 22000 miles. Been in 4 times for this issue now. They keep saying its fixed and now throwing me under the bus because of interior lights that obviously was not the issue. I'm over this vehicle and the poor service. I won't trade for another Mercedes. But I can't trade in a broken one either. Advice?