M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

need help with lowering ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i ended up calling my mechanic and telling him that i would call back to make another appointment.... one final question..what is your guys' personal opinion....should i go with H&R with bilstein Hd's, eibach with bilstein Hd's, eibach with stock shocks, or just leave me suv the way it is with the big gap between the tires and the wheel well? my mechanic previously quoted me $600 for just replacing the stock springs with eibachs and keeping the original shocks and a realignment.. if i were to go with eibach/HR's with bilstein Hd's, the quote of $600 shouldnt change much right? since now he wouldnt have to take the stock springs and shocks apart?... i really just want to do this for the looks part because i think my car looks somewhat awkard with such a big gap between the tires and the wheel wells..but then again.. i still wanna be riding comfortable without having to make a change a year later because of a mechanical problem.. after reading yisters reply..i am even more hesitant to go forward with this change and might just leave my SUV the way it is...please give me 1 final opinion or advice to help me make up my mind for the last time..thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Dapkeo350
if i were to go with eibach/HR's with bilstein Hd's, the quote of $600 shouldnt change much right? since now he wouldnt have to take the stock springs and shocks apart?...
No, he has to take the assembly apart to get the top spring seat and mount where the assembly bolts to the chassis. But that shouldn't be much of the cost.

I can't tell you what to do. I hate modifying cars to fix something I don't like. I don't like changing wheels, especially to a different size. And when one attempts to lower the car all kinds of wheel alignment issues can pop up to cause trouble.

Years ago with a totally stock 1994 Infiniti G20 I fought a problem with rear tire wear. 5,000 miles feathered my tires making them howl. 20,000 miles (rotated ever 5,000) had cords showing on inside rear while outside were about half worn. Eventually found -1.5° camber on each rear which we were able to bring closer to 0.0° (but not quite). Tires wore nicely the next 40,000.

Am sure my G20 would have handled better sliding around a race track with -1.5°, but thats not how I drive.

OTOH I have an assortment of 2 different shocks and 3 or 4 springs for my dirtbike.