M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How happy are you with W164?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
I find most of the squeaks seem to come from the rear seat. Oddly the latch holding the rear seats upright. No noise if someone is sitting in the seat. A quick test is to unlatch the left and right rear uprights and let them sit a few inches forward.

Also believe the goo used to "make used cars look new and pretty" which dealers slop all over everything serves to lubricate plastic parts to make them squeak against each other. I'm 3rd owner, 2nd only had the truck 6 months, so mine went through "refurb" twice. I soaked several plastic seams where one part overlaps another with window cleaner and shoved my paper towels between to clean deep and clean the contact. That helped.

First "owner" was lease. I suspect the 2nd owner ditched my ML because it was throwing CEL's the M-B dealer took 3 months to find the bad electrical connection. Almost a year now without issue other than the shocks suck.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM

ML350
Cool 2007 Mercedes ML350 - Sweet!

Oct 2012 Purchased this 2007 Mercedes ML350 AWD, in perfect condition, with 87K miles on it. 3.5L 6-cyl 268HP. Premium gas min 91 octane required. EPA 17 City 21 Hwy. Almost a year later now, with 102,500 miles, this has been a great car. Replaced a thermostat, which the car computer correctly diagnosed with the correct code. Consider this a normal wear item. Also replaced the tailgate latch ($600!!!) at a dealership while on a road trip did it in an hour. Pricey, but convenient.

Always smooth driving, it has over 100K now and friends say it looks new. No visible interior wear, due to quality MB materials used. Average MPG is 21.1 by actual tracking. Have been running 89 octane in it for months now, with no noticeable difference from the required 91 or pricy 93 premium I used to buy.

Last week we transported two 6-foot folding tables in it, along with a half-dozen card tables and a 4’ cooler, as well as much more stuff, and it held it all! Pulled my full-size farm tractor out of a stream bed with it two weeks ago, and it did not even breathe hard. So far, I love this vehicle!

Last edited by PNTbenz; 09-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by PNTbenz
Last week we transported two 6-foot folding tables in it, along with a half-dozen card tables and a 4’ cooler, as well as much more stuff, and it held it all! Pulled my full-size farm tractor out of a stream bed with it two weeks ago, and it did not even breathe hard. So far, I love this vehicle!
Would have spent more time carefully packing but just threw everyting in and it fit. Drove 1060 miles with all this that weekend:

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM

sl500 2003, Rolls Phantom 2006, Gl450 2013, GLC300 2016,
mercedes sprinter CDI

Originally Posted by N4HHE
If you want a car with no faults, guaranteed, buy new. Unload it before the warranty expires. Yes, it costs more than bargain hunting 5 year old cars but thats why 5 year old cars are bargains.
we own 8 mercedes, 1995 e320 wagon, 2003 SL500, 2004 c320 wagon, 2008 gl320, 2009 sprinter, 2010 sprinter, 2011 GLK 350, 2011 sprinter
the old ones got over 170K miles, and doing just fine, one sprinter 2008 (just sold) had 487K miles.. was very reliable. the GL320 with 110K miles had some issues.. Oil cooler, seals, steering, and now the air conditioning compressor stop working, but I still love Mercedes.
My mechanic Auto Critic in Pompano Florida keeps them all on the road. repairing those cars, understanding the real problems and replacing components with better ones took years of experience, most mechanics inside Mercedes learn as they go, then they open their own repair shops. They are all low pay compared to sales departments, service advisers are just sales people on commission. For example: replacing the air cond compressor and accumulator on the GL320 was estimated at $2344, all those parts are available OEM original on Ebay for just $460...including freight!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 AM

2007 ML500
Originally Posted by mabruteam
My mechanic Auto Critic in Pompano Florida keeps them all on the road. repairing those cars, understanding the real problems and replacing components with better ones
Would appreciate if you can share contact info for Auto critic.
Thank you.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM

2005 C55
UPDATE

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
So far, not very.

I have less than a two weeks on a 2011 CPO car with 30k miles. This is my wife's dream car which she has been talking about for the past few years. We were driving an '02 Xterra (110k miles) which was on its last legs and required more in service costs to keep it running that the car was worth. So perfect time to upgrade and get a car that my wife really wanted and which I think is pretty nice as well.

We love the styling, and cruising on the freeway or highway the thing drives like a vault. The MPG is much better than the Xterra (15 vs 18-19 so far) although not great, it is acceptable for our carpool commute.

But on surface streets with any irregularities the thing creaks. shakes, and rattles like there is no tomorrow. It is hard to imagine that a vehicle that can take on the nastiest bumps like they are nothing sounds like it is going to fall apart going over what appears to be an insignificant bump in the road doing 35.

I have never driven or ridden in anything this bad! And I have owned a wide array of cars and makes including VW, Alfa Romeo, Saab, Ford, BMW, Mazda, and driven countless POS rental cars with no crazy noises. Although my other Mercedes (C55) is pretty bad itself. I attributed some of its rattles to the nature of the vehicle - low profile tires, stiff suspension exaggerating the problem; plus it is 9 years old. The C55 is a fun car and the problems are easily overlooked. But a huge 2.5 year old Mercedes Benz SUV with 30K miles that you expect to be rock solid but makes a bunch of noise is a real bummer.

It is my fault for not taking an extended test drive which is what I would suggest for anyone. AC running in the hotter than normal SoCal weather probably made some sounds less apparent and a sales guy in the back seat did alleviate some of the noise coming from that area which was noticed later and "fixed" again when I rode around in back. The quality of the roads was pretty good as well.

The car goes in for service on Monday to try and fix some of the issues. But I know it is going to be a long process and I don't expect a miracle. I have tried some of the internet "fixes" for some rattling and none seem to work or don't work very well. Plus I located some problem areas and attempted simple fixes to no avail. I have a feeling the ML is what it is and we will have to live with it for a while then sell it earlier than we expected.

Even if they fix the rattles, I'll never buy an MB again. It's embarrassing to own and feel like an idiot for buying it.

My advice to anyone that has to have an ML would be to really check it out and take an extended test drive on a variety of surfaces and speeds before pulling the trigger on a purchase. But I'd suggest avoiding it completely.

UPDATE:
I brought my car to my usual service center (MB Laguna Niguel where my C55 gets serviced) for an A service and asked them to check into the rattles that the dealer I bought it from (Fletcher Jones Newport Beach) could not solve. There were two significant problems that I asked them to look into. A very hard rattle under the dash near the glove compartment over cobble type surfaces at low speeds and a rattle/shudder from what seemed like the back seat area.

Knowing that Fletcher Jones could not fix the problems (even though they acknowledged them, they said that “they all do that”) I told the service guy that I thought it was the suspension making a sound. It turns out that this is what the problem was all along!

Apparently the right front strut was bad so the dealer replaced it as well as the lower control arm bushings and the steering ball joint. I am happy to say that the rattles and shudders are gone and some of the other minor rattles seem improved as well.

Luckily this work was covered under warranty as was the center console cover and driver’s sun visor which had developed squeaks as well.

I want to commend MB Laguna Niguel for their hard work as effort to get the car to the level I had expected. The fact that the suspension fixes solved the problems was not something I expected and I thought I was stuck with a dud. But it seems OK now. I have changed my mind and would consider an MB again, but I am going to avoid Fletcher Jones. They had a chance to fix a car with problems that they knew existed and didn’t. Plus they sold me a CPO car that was not up to par.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2007 ML 350 - VIN 4JGBB86E17A211020
I hope to hang onto our ML as long as I live (2007 ML 350)

The perfect car...have 164K and it keeps on going. Don't like the looks/ride of the new Mls...nor the price!

So our Grosse Wiesse ML350 will stay in the family for a while.....
Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 AM

2013 SLK250
2011 ML Love the car,hate the cost of standard service.Will not buy another Benz because of this.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
I love my 08 ML320 CDI. Purchased as CPO March 2012, with 48K miles, now just rolled 130K miles Saturday. Some some what seem to be "normal" for this vehicle, hatch lock, front shocks. turbo intake seal. I did have to pull the EGR and clean it as it was sticking during extreme cold weather.

How happy are you with W164?-photo4_zps7f09ebf7.jpg

I am amazed at how well the interior and exterior have held up.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 PM

W210/W202/W164
8 years "old" ,and still going strong
Attached Thumbnails How happy are you with W164?-img_20140615_134423.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 AM

ML 320 CDI
Originally Posted by KA8
I'm leasing my ML and love this suv. This is our 3rd W164, I just love the looks and overall ride quality which is the reason why I got this just before W166 came out plus someone I know just lemoned W166 for mysterious engine shutoff problem. Also I just can't get used to W166 styling still. Anyway Mine is a P2 with trailer hitch, and currently leasing it and it's scheduled to end on July 2015 but I'm contemplating on buying it out at the end of the lease for $27K. Or I can return it 6 months early and get a new ride. I looked up dealer price for 4 year old ML's and all of them are in the low to mid $30K's so it doesn't look to bad to buy it out. I was going to replace with with a tacoma crew cab but loaded one goes for $37K+. Any high mileage ML owners out there? Appreciate your input
I have 320000 km on my 2008 ml320 cdi. It is a great car and it has been for the 5years I've had it.
Be aware of the following. Transfer case rebuild at 280000. Water leaking in on heavy rain caused ruined computer module twice. And rear end rumbling now at 320000. Air conditioning compressor went at 180000 and is again showing signs of going. GPS gets very finicky if the lens inside is dirty and can't read the DVD.
Other than that, beautiful and fun to drive.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:46 PM

Ml320
Hi there

Can I ask where the water leaked into, and is this something that could pre-emptively be sealed?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:10 PM

ML 320 CDI
Couldn't determine where it was getting in. Either from where the rear hatch hinge is or as others mentioned from tail light gasket?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 AM

ML350 Blutec
We bought our ML350 used, looked to be in great condition, did a check on it to make ure no wrecks, all good but what a POS. I have spent more money on this truck then any other truck i have ever owned to keep it on the road. Love every thing about it , looks, ride, towing, interior, everything, i can even handle the maintance but everylarge issue that is posted about these mine has had. Tranmission, def tank, glowplug mod, side mirror wires breaking, glad i had extended warr. Will be trading at a loss just so i can get out of it before we hit 100,000. Since i was a diesel i was hoping to get 200,000 miles with just standard maintance but that was a pipedream. MB used to be the standard that everyone tried to match, they are not the company they use to be. Never again.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 PM

In the market
It's odd yet funny to see all the people loving their 2006-8 M Classes whereas anything post-2010 has tons of issues. Newer isn't always better, apparently
Old 09-23-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 (W164) - 201K Miles
I know this is very old thread but I want other people who is thinking of buying ML350 to know.

I have 2008 ML 350 and I had worst experience with this car then any other car I have ever owned. I had following issues with piece of junk made by MB.

1) Engine went bad. replaced $2200 + $600
2) Air Intake Flapper went bad. I was able to do cheaper around $500 but if you go to dealer 2000 to 3000 repair.
3) SRS Light on. Not sure how to fix yet
4) Driver side seat is not moving. Voltage drop in 12V wire. Yet to find damaged wire
5) Left and Right Side marker is not working. Something wrong with front SAM module causing this issue
6) Driver side lock is not working.

This is all besides doing regular maintenance. I would rather own toyota then worry about German Piece of Junk. During research found out that Air Intake is exact same piece is one of the Dodge car what a Joke. I am owning Chrysler car under MB logo