M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Need Help... Balance Shaft Issue & Then Check Engine Oil At Next Refueling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 350
Need Help... Balance Shaft Issue & Then Check Engine Oil At Next Refueling

My question is could the warning "check engine oil at next refueling" that I am now getting even though oil is full have anything to do with the balance shaft repair my dealership just performed?

Here's my story...2007 ML360

I went in for service B on 12/31/12. The CEL had been coming on intermittently as well. I was told half my engine needed to be rebuilt and the cost would be $4700. I couldn't believe what I was hearing so after asking them three times to explain what was wrong and doing a lot of research on the internet, I figured out I had the dreaded balance shaft problem. I asked the dealership, "Is this the balance shaft problem?" They said they would have to get with the regional rep for explanation. I called MBUSA and after a week they said they would cover the repair 100%. I was thrilled since my car had 52K and was out of warranty. Still, my dealership would never call it the balance shaft issue until the day I picked up my car. Exactly one month later on 1/31/13 I picked up my repaired car. (By the way, MBUSA only had to pay the dealer $2200 for the repair which doesn't seem right. I mean I expect the dealer to charge the customer a little more than they would MBUSA, but more than $100% more!)

On my drive home which is less than 15 minutes I heard a beep and the dash message displayed was "check engine oil at next refueling" I got home and checked it and it was full up to the 3rd mark on dipstick. I called the dealer and they said bring it back. I did and they checked the oil and it looked full. They said the sensor could be bad and wanted $500 to replace it. They did not seem all that sure that would fix the problem. I said it seemed too coincidental that the sensor is bad right after my engine was tore down and it almost has to be something they did. They said they were sure it was unrelated to the balance shaft repair.

So here I am looking for any help possible. I'm scared to take the car back and let the dealer have at it. I feel like they should have offered to look into it for free. I just don't have the mechanical knowledge to determine if this is their fault so I can push harder.

Also, if anyone has an idea on what the true problem is I'd appreciate it.

Thank You In Advance!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM

2007 ML 350
Update...
Had car into dealership. The called me and said they can't get car into shop to look at because keys are not working. Said it could be EIS. Can anyone else have worse luck than me? Turned out to be a fuse. $6.00 in parts and $158 in labor as they said they had to fix a wire so it would not happen again.

They also said the reason I was getting the check oil warning was they did not get the wire snapped back tight onto the oil sensor when they did the balance shaft repair. Said they would not charge for this since it was their fault. I'm thinking they made up for this in charging me $164.00 for a fuse.

I'm taking this car on the road tomorrow so we will see if I have any other problems.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM

2007 ML 350
Update SRS Passenger Right Side

Update: Just got back from 2 day road trip. All previous problems seemed to be fixed but now got the red SRS light on with a messege saying Front Right SRS Malfunction Service Required. Uggh!