M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Looking to buy ML350 bluetec, advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Looking to buy ML350 bluetec, advice?

A bad car accident last week totalled my car. So we're in the market for a replacement.

Wife wanted to only consider german brands, and only those that have a dealer within 30 minutes drive. so that limits us to MB, BMW or Audi (previously had a VW).

After visiting the local dealers, we've narrowed it down to one of the following vehicles:
ML350 Bluetec
GL350 Bluetec
E350 Wagon
R350 Bluetec

all 2011 or newer, and preferably CPO.

We're pretty new to MB, previously only owned BMW, Audi and VW. (had a 2001 MB C230 coupe as a wedding gift from my parents 12 years ago, but we didn't keep it long, it had numerous issues)

So we're a little skeptical about MB reliability. Has it improved over the last 12 years? My parents swear by MB, but they can afford to buy a new one every 3 or 4 years so they're always under warranty.

We're at a stage in our lives where we can't afford to do that (with a little kid and house payments).

I'm used to driving cars, not SUV/Mini van so I'm a little concerned about getting an ML or GL. My preference is for the E350 wagon, which gives us plenty of back seat room for car seat, as well as plenty of cargo space for stroller and other kids stuff. and it even has a 3rd row for special situations (although its just for kid sized people).

Wife wants to get the ML because it's more common (lots of CPO everywhere) and looks bigger to her so she feels safer.

So how is the reliability of 2011 and newer ML350 Bluetec? any drawbacks to buying the diesel? We don't drive a lot, maybe 7500 miles a year. 10k miles if we take a lot of road trips.

All of the BMW, VW and Audi's we've owned over the last 20 years have been trouble free. the only MB we've had was full of problems, so we're hesitant, but there is nothing in the BMW and Audi lineup that we are interested in at the moment.

What are all your thoughts? thanks!