M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ABS ESP light...ABS Sensor/wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 ML CDI
ABS ESP light...ABS Sensor/wiring

OK let this post supersede all previous posts. After reading tons of somewhat related posts I would like to conclude this problem/solution. Please comment if you have came upon this problem and have fixed it.

Problem: ABS ESP light is on. I received 08 ML 320 CDI and on the next day these lights turned on. Symptom right before it was an ABS engagement in right rear wheel. While the lights are on, ABS has kicked in in that same wheel twice so far, and only right after I start to move forward.

Possible solution: Apparently the ABS sensor is the culprit but also the wiring to it aswell. After reading through numerous posts it looks like the wiring that starts right on the out side of the vehicle and ends on the sensor is at fault. Some where within this piece of wiring insulation is brittle and cracks allows 2 wires to touch each other causing the sensor to fail. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THIS !!! I looked at the wiring and it looks good except at 2 places where it looks as if the wires are sharply bent at an acute angle of 110 degrees. Maybe thats where the problem is?

Anyway, over the course of the upcoming weekend i will open up that wire harness and see whats hiding there....

Last edited by NegroC230; 07-11-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML 320 CDI
Same Issue

Hello out there. I have the same issue with the ABS locking the rear when I first start from a stop. Now the ABS/ESP lights are on and the ABS and ESP systems are off/failed.