M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML 350 Brakes - Not stopping sharp OEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2013 | 03:40 PM

ML 350
ML 350 Brakes - Not stopping sharp OEM

My ML 350 4Matic brakes and rotors were repaired at an auto shop that specializes in Mercedes repairs. They used OEM parts for the brakes (pagid pads) and rotors (textar). The car does not stop as sharp as it did prior to putting on these new brakes. The mechanic offered to replace them with Mercedes brakes bought from the dealer, or Ceramic brake pads by Akebono. I am still contemplating what I should do because the mechanic doesn't think I will feel much difference as he says that ML 350's have an issue with not breaking very sharp. Has anyone had their pads replaced outside of the dealer and felt a difference with the sharpness of the brakes when applied? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2013 | 10:41 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
I don't know what you mean by "sharp braking"?

If they used OEM parts that suggests they did not use OE (Original Equipment) but only used parts made by the same as the OE but not necessarily the same model part. This suspicion is furthered by the mechanic's offer to replace the parts with parts sourced from the Mercedes dealer, or with yet other aftermarket parts.

Brake pads and rotors need some time to get acquainted with each other. You didn't say anything about how many miles you have driven with the new brakes.

I find the OE brakes on my 2009 ML320 are touchier at low speeds than I would like. Coupled with the transmission downshifting the diesel at inopportune moments results in a clumsier stop than my skills should.

When brakes have a bad or poor feel the problem is usually air in the brake lines. You had rotors and pads replaced but say nothing about flushing the brake fluid. Thats supposed to be a regular 2 year 20k mile service.
Old 09-20-2013 | 10:53 PM

ML 350
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013 | 09:39 PM

2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Originally Posted by Carty
My ML 350 4Matic brakes and rotors were repaired at an auto shop that specializes in Mercedes repairs. They used OEM parts for the brakes (pagid pads) and rotors (textar). The car does not stop as sharp as it did prior to putting on these new brakes. The mechanic offered to replace them with Mercedes brakes bought from the dealer, or Ceramic brake pads by Akebono. I am still contemplating what I should do because the mechanic doesn't think I will feel much difference as he says that ML 350's have an issue with not breaking very sharp. Has anyone had their pads replaced outside of the dealer and felt a difference with the sharpness of the brakes when applied? Thanks!
http://ebcrotors.com/m-22-ebc.aspx I put these pads just in the back and mine stops even better than before... Gonna do the fronts soon. I used the EBC Redstuffpads. With a Meyle Rotor.