M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 '07 ML320CDI transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry W164 '07 ML320CDI transmission

Dear all,

I've been reading through almost hundred articles regarding the transmission problems and honestly am a little lost...

This is my story: W164122 SEP 2007 ML 320 CDI

Years long transmission problems, like...

- once a month stuck in a 3rd gear, won't shift up, if I stop and try to shift to reverse - gets stuck in neutral. ignition off and on - no problem for a few more weeks
- gears up into the 5th quickly and then won't gear down - drives in the high gear at low speed (off/on - works fine)

The car was under extended warranty till the end of 2011 - been to the shop at least 5 times - they replaced a number of sensors, but the EGS computer report reveals no problems. Upgraded software, did gears adaptation, surely enough the car is out of warranty now and still the same latent problem.

A dealer in Germany suggested to replace the Electronic Gear Controller - EUR 2k but gives no warranty it will solve the problem.

Half a year ago the car got stuck in the limp home mode - asked a fellow mechanic to exchange the transmission oil and back to the same situation now - all well, except of once a few weeks these kind of issues as I have described above.

It seems to me this is the Body Valve problem and it should be well known to the MB? How do I find out which Body Valve is installed in my gear box?

Ideally I would like to prove that they should have replaced it under warranty two years ago as it is a well known problem, any idea how I can do that?

If not, what would be a solution?

I have diagnostics reports, all of them reporting the EGS is fine.

Really lost now.

PS The transmission HW version says 09.2004

Last edited by outermarkerps; 09-23-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML320 CDI
I have an 07 Ml320 CDI that the transmission won'T shift out of either 1st or second gear.It will go into Park and reverse. But in Drive it's stuck in 1 gear.
What did you do to resolve it? I'm going to try a transmission fluid change,it hasn't been done in 55K milies. have code P0718
I tried looking for the Conductor plate for this and was unable to find.
What did you do to resolve the issue.
Any help would be appreciated.