M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Transmission Service. Level Pan or Level Vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2014 | 08:45 PM

GL320 CDI
Transmission Service. Level Pan or Level Vehicle

Im about to drain the fluid it out of the transmission pan..... When the vehicle is level the pan is out alot. it is higher in the front.
In order to get the pan completely Level I would have to jack up the back a few feet higher than the front...... this does not seem right either...

WIS says "the vehicle must be horizontal in the longtitudal and transverse direction the vehicle lift" this to me says to have the vehicle level.... but the DIYs mention puting a level on the trans pan and a video I saw showed the guy using a level on the pan also.

Is the Transmission supposed to be level and even with the vehicle?
Old 01-15-2014 | 12:40 PM

2006 ml350
I have done this service several times...

The vehicle must be level, not the pan.

With that said, very few garage floors are level and the DIY videos may be attempting to compensate for this condition (as it is generally easier to put a level on the pan as opposed to level the entire vehicle).

What you don't want is the front end up on ramps or jack stands and the rear wheels on the ground.

Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2014 | 10:09 PM

2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Originally Posted by u001elg
I have done this service several times...

The vehicle must be level, not the pan.

With that said, very few garage floors are level and the DIY videos may be attempting to compensate for this condition (as it is generally easier to put a level on the pan as opposed to level the entire vehicle).

What you don't want is the front end up on ramps or jack stands and the rear wheels on the ground.

Hope this helps
yup just make sure the vehicle is as level as possible. Id doubt a few degrees is gonna make a huge difference. I put mine on jacks to remove and replace the pan then drop it on the floor and fill it with the pump and go from there