M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Help in making decision . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
'19 E63S
Help in making decision . . .

I currently own a 2011 ML350 4matic and I'm planning on changing very soon. I'm debating whether I should go with a Bluetec or stick with gas. What are any significant arguments one way or another? I understand run flat tires is a possible issue, Bluetec fluid change/addition another one. Apparently the Bluetec is significantly more expensive in maintenance compare to gas version. However when towing a trailer the advantages are clear which is something that happens somewhat regularly . . .
I would love to hear people's opinion that own a Bluetec and whether they're satisfied with its performance etc or whether they think its not worth it . . .
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 honda pilot
if you tow, go with bluetec, torque, torque, torque, otherwise I would go with the gas. Why? 1. Gas more reliable. Consumers rating of 2010 thru some 2013 gas vs diesels (a 100 minimum sample of each)-the gas is around 5 to 10% below average reliability, and the diesel 108% below average. I seen similar results in other tests. 2. Diesel's higher maintenance costs-despite not having spark plugs, which may not make up for their better mileage due to the high cost of diesel vs even premium gas. 3. The diesels in the long run will most likely have higher out of warranty repair costs due to their engine complexity aka the turbo/seals, excess heat etc. The myth that the diesel engine is more durable than the gas, is irrelevant, since the gas engine will run longer trouble free than most owners will ever hold onto their ML's-well over 250000K.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
I own both... a 2006 Gas ML350 (approx. 105K) and a 2010 Bluetec ML350 (approx. 75K).

I bough both used off lease - the 2006 at 2 years old/27K, the 2010 at 4 months/ 1600miles due to the owners spouse repeated filling with gas.

They both have their own merits.

My wife loves the 2006 and the top end Harmon Kardon sound system kicks compared to my mid level stereo. The gas version feels quicker off the line, but once you are rolling the difference is small, especially at normal highway traffic speed (i.e. passing at 65mph).

My wife does mostly short commutes (10 - 15 miles) while my daily drive is 84 miles round trip. Her historic fuel economy is 17 to 19 mpg while mine is 28 to 31.

I do my own service (with exception of 40K trans service which was done at the dealer) and found the costs are quite comparable, with the diesel being slightly lower. With that said... I change oil in the gas engine at 10k instead of 13K just because it is easier for me to remember - the same as the Bluetec. I have found the AdBlue at our local Sam's club at 11.88 for 2.5 gal container and use about 4 - 5 gallons per 10K.

The Bluetec excels on long trips where I set the Tach at 2100RPM and cruise (usually at a speed where I am a fast truck or slow car down route 95). I make the trip from Reading PA to Charleston SC (680 miles) on one tank w/ about 4 gals to spare.

My wife absolutely hates the smell of diesel fuel and how it stays on you hands - to the point that I keep disposable nitrile gloves (like @ the doctors office) for refueling just so I won't hear about the odor when I'm done.

I have no pros/con with the run flat tires on the Bluetec... I do keep a "Slime Tire Kit" with sealer, plugs and a compressor for peace of mind, but have not had to use it. I do run none run flats as my winter tires and throw one summer tire in the back.

With all that said, my driving the Bluetec makes sense through the better mileage (+10mpg easily makes up for the high price of diesel). The diesel takes loads and towing better. My wife loves her gas version and wouldn't trade it for the diesel... she hates the smell of diesel fuel and the fact that the turbo takes a moment to make power from a dead stop as opposed to the instant go when she dumps the throttle on the gas engine.

I am planning on another diesel when I'm done with this one - but if history is a good indicator, my previous diesel I kept for 15 years and 409k, so it won't be any time soon.

My wife has her next vehicle picked out - E350 sport in another 2 - 3 years when her ML turns 10.

Don't know if this helps or not, but good luck with you purchase.