M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear SAM failing and seat electrical issues- PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 ML350
Rear SAM failing and seat electrical issues- PLEASE HELP!!

I drive a 2007 ML350. A month ago I was driving and my wipers stopped working, car alarm started sounding, gas gauge went dead, gas door wouldn't release when pushed in, tailgate wouldn't open, turn signals in the rear wouldn't work, etc. I took it in to get diagnosed, and as soon as it went into the garage all the problems stopped. The dealer said I had a leak somewhere which was causing the rear SAM to short out and my battery had a lot of low voltage issues. I had the battery changed from a non-dealer shop, but had Mercedes assess the water leak. I did this because in Oct 2013 I paid for them to replace my taillight kits and seal because my lights had stopped working due to a water leak. So if those had gone faulty again, my parts would have been covered under the 2 year warranty. After paying for the diagnostic at the dealer (surprise, surprise, it wasn't the part they had replaced), they figured that the top brake light above the tailgate window was leaking (the seal had failed), and they replaced and re-sealed it. I then took the rear SAM I had ordered from a Mercedes dealer from the States since the vehicle is originally a US car (I drive it in Canada now), and had a non-dealer shop replace it. They showed me the old rear SAM and the connections were completely corroded and green and it was wet (which makes sense since Mercedes had tested the water damage and fixed it the day before and it rains a lot where I live).

ANYWAY, all the rear SAM issues have been resolved and the battery is now fine since it's brand new. However, after the non-dealer shop replaced the rear SAM I went to pick up the vehicle and the driver AND passenger side seats will not adjust. They are power seats and they do not move at all. It was the end of the day and before the long weekend (for us canadians) when I went to pick up this car so they were pretty much trying to get me out of there asap. They tested the fuses in the fuse box in the trunk. They said they all worked. I saw them all light up when tested.

My question is does my REAR SAM control the seats? Could they have disconnected something when replacing it??? I want them to fix the problem without charging me a diagnostic fee if it's their fault. BUT I want to know what I'm talking about before I argue with them. I'm really sick of paying diagnostic fees and water damage that's not covered even though it's caused by the damn seals failing every which way I turn! The stupidest question they ask me is, did you get the car wet??? I LIVE IN A RAINY CITY...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Enough venting, can anyone help with the power seat issue? I need to drive this car as I currently have no other options and I've already paid over $2000 in repairing these issues.
The following users liked this post:
funkypost (11-18-2023)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daewoo Nubira
Originally Posted by gkaurey
I drive a 2007 ML350. A month ago I was driving and my wipers stopped working, car alarm started sounding, gas gauge went dead, gas door wouldn't release when pushed in, tailgate wouldn't open, turn signals in the rear wouldn't work, etc. I took it in to get diagnosed, and as soon as it went into the garage all the problems stopped. The dealer said I had a leak somewhere which was causing the rear SAM to short out and my battery had a lot of low voltage issues. I had the battery changed from a non-dealer shop, but had Mercedes assess the water leak. I did this because in Oct 2013 I paid for them to replace my taillight kits and seal because my lights had stopped working due to a water leak. So if those had gone faulty again, my parts would have been covered under the 2 year warranty. After paying for the diagnostic at the dealer (surprise, surprise, it wasn't the part they had replaced), they figured that the top brake light above the tailgate window was leaking (the seal had failed), and they replaced and re-sealed it. I then took the rear SAM I had ordered from a Mercedes dealer from the States since the vehicle is originally a US car (I drive it in Canada now), and had a non-dealer shop replace it. They showed me the old rear SAM and the connections were completely corroded and green and it was wet (which makes sense since Mercedes had tested the water damage and fixed it the day before and it rains a lot where I live).

ANYWAY, all the rear SAM issues have been resolved and the battery is now fine since it's brand new. However, after the non-dealer shop replaced the rear SAM I went to pick up the vehicle and the driver AND passenger side seats will not adjust. They are power seats and they do not move at all. It was the end of the day and before the long weekend (for us canadians) when I went to pick up this car so they were pretty much trying to get me out of there asap. They tested the fuses in the fuse box in the trunk. They said they all worked. I saw them all light up when tested.

My question is does my REAR SAM control the seats? Could they have disconnected something when replacing it??? I want them to fix the problem without charging me a diagnostic fee if it's their fault. BUT I want to know what I'm talking about before I argue with them. I'm really sick of paying diagnostic fees and water damage that's not covered even though it's caused by the damn seals failing every which way I turn! The stupidest question they ask me is, did you get the car wet??? I LIVE IN A RAINY CITY...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Enough venting, can anyone help with the power seat issue? I need to drive this car as I currently have no other options and I've already paid over $2000 in repairing these issues.
Hi ! I'm from Ukraine. So you would pardon me for my English. So , when he rear SAM is changed it MUST coded at the service or garage. Because there in SAM software you can change ( programm ) if your car equipped by the seats with memory or partial electric seat.