M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Took the Plunge - 2008 ML320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014 | 08:49 AM

2012 ML350 Bluetec
Took the Plunge - 2008 ML320 CDI

Thanks for all the feedback on my questions a couple months or so ago. We ended up buying the 2008 ML320 CDI (49k miles) and, so far, have been happy with it.

First, the good:
- Averaging 23-24mpg mixed driving, with 25-26 highway.
- Averaging 11-13mpg towing a travel trailer (8' wide, 10' tall, 18' long, 3500lbs gross)
- Pulls the trailer with authority. Not one problem over 8 hours pulling, even when I forgot to tension the anti-sway for the trip home. 15-20mph cross-wind did nothing, aside from drain ~1mpg. Pulls strong up to 65-70 (depending on wind).
- Quiet, with a smooth ride. Diesel engine sound is not at all obtrusive.
- GREAT stereo compared to our other cars. Clean sound. Love the sub.
- Looks great, maybe not timeless, but not dated.
- Fun surprising other drivers by out-accelerating them in a Mercedes pulling a trailer.

Now, the questions:
- The seats are terrible for long distances.

For the driver, there's a ridge in the seat that runs right across my back just under my shoulders. I was able to tolerate it for a non-stop ~4 hour pull, but it's annoying.

For the passenger, the seat is hurting my wife's lower back. I've not ridden in the passenger seat very long, but I suspect it's because there's no lumbar support.

Anyone have suggestions on what they've done to deal with this?

- Slight pulsing in the steering wheel when turning the wheel at very slow speeds; feels like power steering. Normal?

- Pulsing in sunroof motor, which also causes the dome light to pulse. Anyone had this problem, how hard is this to fix?

And very minor stuff:
- Can you turn off the button shifting? Too easy to bump and lock the transmission out of 7th.

- The placement of the cruise stalk is REALLY bad, at least for us. It doesn't work well as a turn signal, and it can be downright scary sometimes when you're changing lanes and suddenly accelerate because you're setting cruise.

- Back-up camera has limited view of the hitch. Anyone put a lens or anything on to get a better view? Has anyone found a way to get better distance perspective within the view?

- Lots of brake dust on the wheels. I've had many cars that did this, so not worried; just a question. Normal?

Anyway, we're happy MB owners (so far!) just looking to make the experience that much better. Thanks!

C-
Old 09-23-2014 | 10:52 AM

2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by kalmairn
Thanks for all the feedback on my questions a couple months or so ago. We ended up buying the 2008 ML320 CDI (49k miles) and, so far, have been happy with it.

First, the good:
- Averaging 11-13mpg towing a travel trailer (8' wide, 10' tall, 18' long, 3500lbs gross)
- Pulls the trailer with authority. Not one problem over 8 hours pulling, even when I forgot to tension the anti-sway for the trip home. 15-20mph cross-wind did nothing, aside from drain ~1mpg. Pulls strong up to 65-70 (depending on wind).
- Fun surprising other drivers by out-accelerating them in a Mercedes pulling a trailer.

Now, the questions:

For the driver, there's a ridge in the seat that runs right across my back just under my shoulders. I was able to tolerate it for a non-stop ~4 hour pull, but it's annoying.

For the passenger, the seat is hurting my wife's lower back. I've not ridden in the passenger seat very long, but I suspect it's because there's no lumbar support.

- Slight pulsing in the steering wheel when turning the wheel at very slow speeds; feels like power steering. Normal? Have never noticed this with mine

- Pulsing in sunroof motor, which also causes the dome light to pulse. Anyone had this problem, how hard is this to fix? Try Lubricating the sunroof slides. Its special grease, www.ecstuning.com

And very minor stuff:
- Can you turn off the button shifting? Too easy to bump and lock the transmission out of 7th. Not that I am aware of, I too have bumped on occasion

- The placement of the cruise stalk is REALLY bad, at least for us. It doesn't work well as a turn signal, and it can be downright scary sometimes when you're changing lanes and suddenly accelerate because you're setting cruise. Total agreement, when I switch from my company car, I on occasion hit the cruise

- Back-up camera has limited view of the hitch. Anyone put a lens or anything on to get a better view? Has anyone found a way to get better distance perspective within the view? I purchased a ball mount that stuck out a bit further, still challenging to see in the dark.

- Lots of brake dust on the wheels. I've had many cars that did this, so not worried; just a question. Normal? Yes normal, some switch to ceramic pads, however, I can put up with the brake dust, as I never have had an issue with the OEM pads squealing

Anyway, we're happy MB owners (so far!) just looking to make the experience that much better. Thanks!

C-
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you found a nice low mileage one. I purchased mine with 48K back in March of 2012, and am now at 133,000 miles, still have not had to replace either the rear or front brakes , even after 85K miles I dont pull as large of trailer as you, just enclosed snowmobile trailer and 6x12 cargo trailer.. I just had my transfer case replaced by MB under CPO warranty for an annoying whine when coasting to stop.
Old 09-25-2014 | 03:07 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
I towed a 7x18 of about 4500 pounds for 900 miles and got a stinking 10 MPG at 65 MPH going and 11.5 on a different route returning. Had absolutely no problems doing it, just a bit of disappointment feeding the beast. My previous 8200 pound F-250 Powerstroke got similar MPG, maybe a touch better.

The steering column takes a little getting used to. I used to confuse the shift lever on the right with the dash mounted shift lever in my 2007 Prius. The KEYLESS GO button contributed to the confusion because it too relative to the steering wheel is in the same place in the Prius.

So I solved that problem and replaced the Prius with a Tesla Model S which uses exactly the same steering column as my ML320.
Old 10-02-2014 | 02:00 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by kalmairn

First, the good:

Now, the questions:

I have a GL with P2 package and there's a little knob on the side of the seatback for lumbar support. Maybe you need the P1 or P2 package to have it, but check your seat. It's on the 'inboard' side where the center console is.

With the lumbar all the way out, I don't have a problem driving the car 4hrs at all. Anything over 6 or 7 starts to get tiring but I have never had a car where I've been able to drive that far anyway without stopping.

- Slight pulsing in the steering wheel when turning the wheel at very slow speeds; feels like power steering. Normal?

Nope, but steering pumps whine if they're low on fluid. And steering racks on these trucks leak a lot. So check fluid level.. it's probably a bit low.

- Pulsing in sunroof motor, which also causes the dome light to pulse. Anyone had this problem, how hard is this to fix?

Never seen this with mine.

And very minor stuff:
- Can you turn off the button shifting? Too easy to bump and lock the transmission out of 7th.

No way to turn it off. Hated it at first then got used to it after a while. I believe those buttons have a separate connector inside the steering wheel (aside from the radio buttons, etc.). So I have looked into disconnecting the buttons.. probably wouldn't be too hard. Never did it, but you should disconnect them if you'll never use them.

- The placement of the cruise stalk is REALLY bad, at least for us. It doesn't work well as a turn signal, and it can be downright scary sometimes when you're changing lanes and suddenly accelerate because you're setting cruise.

It's not the best position, but I don't think I've hit it by accident when turning. You will get used to it. When grabbing the turn signal, your hands should still be on the wheel and you should use your fingertips only. That way you can only reach the longer stalk not the shorter one and ensure you grab the right one.

- Back-up camera has limited view of the hitch. Anyone put a lens or anything on to get a better view? Has anyone found a way to get better distance perspective within the view?

Mine shows the hitch ball (barely). My receiver bar isn't an extended one but it's decently long. Just get a longer bar.

- Lots of brake dust on the wheels. I've had many cars that did this, so not worried; just a question. Normal?

Yes, brake dust sucks on these trucks. Two solutions: Griots Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner (not the regular stuff.. must be HD). Spray on, agitate, wait, brake dust rinses right off. I couldn't get some of it off with light rubbing compound yet when I used the cleaner, it came right off. I honestly thought I would have to re-clear coat the wheels they were so bad. Second solution is Akebono or other aftermarket "low dust" pads. I hear the braking is equal if not slightly better, and there is minimal dust.

C-

Old 10-02-2014 | 02:41 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
Please learn how to quote. The site shows you how. But thank-you for trying to intersperse your reply in conversational format.

Start with left-square-bracket quote right-square-bracket,
the quoted text,
ending with left-square-bracket divide-by slash quote right-square-bracket.

Then your text follows until you repeat again with another eft-square-bracket quote right-square-bracket

Or you can select the Advanced button, highlight the quoted text and click the quote icon. Does exactly what is described above.

This is quoted text
now I say something

and back to the first speaker
and me again.
Old 10-02-2014 | 03:00 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
I was trying to quickly answer all of his questions.. I could have quoted each question and put an answer below, but I had 2 mins and thought I'd quickly give my input rather than not give it at all.

Also someone above me did exactly the same thing and it seemed to be an efficient way to answer a whole bunch of questions all at once.

Anyway, hope my input was of value to the original poster.