M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Headlight Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML350
Post Headlight Upgrade?

Hey the Halogen bulbs on my ML have died, so I was really thinking of upgrading to either Xenon or maybe even LED.

From what I can see I need to change out both left headlights, and the inside light closer to the grill (hi-beam?), so a total of 3 lights. However if I upgrade should I switch any other bulbs? The halogens from the old owner are yellowish, so if I switch to white or blue, what others may I need to change?

I was also looking at the costs- LED kits seem ridiculously expensive, so I'm thinking they arent worth it especially because they are mostly for show.

As of now I was looking at converting by four headlights to xenon with a kit like
this this
of
this this

Let me know what you guys think- even open to anything else that might be worth upgrading on the Merc.

PS- any reason for annoying tire pressure light (tires are new, had them checked for leaks)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 396 Likes on 332 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Fill the tire and then reset the system.

If you are still getting errors your senders may be bad.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 E63S Sedan
Originally Posted by patsfan2014
Hey the Halogen bulbs on my ML have died, so I was really thinking of upgrading to either Xenon or maybe even LED.

From what I can see I need to change out both left headlights, and the inside light closer to the grill (hi-beam?), so a total of 3 lights. However if I upgrade should I switch any other bulbs? The halogens from the old owner are yellowish, so if I switch to white or blue, what others may I need to change?

I was also looking at the costs- LED kits seem ridiculously expensive, so I'm thinking they arent worth it especially because they are mostly for show.

As of now I was looking at converting by four headlights to xenon with a kit like this of this.

Let me know what you guys think- even open to anything else that might be worth upgrading on the Merc.

PS- any reason for annoying tire pressure light (tires are new, had them checked for leaks)
I have had an HID (xenon) kit in my family's 2008 ML350 since August of 2013 with no issues. I got them from The Retrofit Source, an H7 kit.

There were some teething issues with the kit back then but TRS has fantastic customer service and got me upgraded bulbs and ballasts (which are now standard) for free. They stand behind their product. The product is backed by a 5 year warranty.

The kit itself is fantastic. Installation is pretty straight plug and play. The worst part of installation for me was getting the bulbs to sit in the stock bulb holder. I had to buy
special retaining clips from iJDMToy special retaining clips from iJDMToy
to allow the wires to pass through the clips and then get them seated into the housing. Don't modify the stock clips - if you goof up, they're only available through MB with the full headlight assembly, about $1000 apiece. You will also need to find good places to mount the ballasts.

You will never get the kind of light output and beam distribution as you will from an OEM setup unless you do a much more expensive projector retrofit, and even then you won't get the adaptive lighting (that requires a full OEM swap for ~$3200) but for what it is, putting this kit in your stock housings works great. It's a clean cutoff with no glare in other drivers' eyes. I know, because I tested it thoroughly. It's the light distribution under the cutoff where the stock halogen housings fail in relation to an OEM xenon setup. I parked next to an OEM xenon equipped ML and adjusted the beam slightly upward to match. The difference is astounding. You will see parts of the road you will never have been able to see with the stock halogens. It gives you great confidence driving on the darkest roads.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me for any help or answers to your questions.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 ml 350 84K
I'll look into this.
What about OEM Xenon housings off ebay?
Would they work or require too many modifications.
Thanks Happy New Year